Photo

Is there a trick to shifting under high g-loads?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Can someone enlighten me, is there a trick to shifting under high g-loads? I often have trouble upshifting from 2nd to 3rd coming out of turns like Infineon #7 or Laguna #2. I thought it was just my transmission wearing out.

Thanks, Ray

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I thought once because I didn't use MTL, I had problem off the last turn at LS.
But mostly I thought I was at an angle under G's that I wasn't in the same position when I wasn't. The shift movement wasn't the same.

But yours is interesting, oil forces to the side walls starving the tranny to shift?
J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Doubt it. Once the input shaft is spun up, oil is flailing around the inside of the trans like crazy.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I agree. So I have the tranny that came with my car, with as much as 130K.
Is it time to replace/rebuild?
I was thinking it was the nut behind the wheel.

I'm with Ray, can someone enlighten me?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
My opinion is 2 fold. The nut behind the wheel and the trans is worn out.

The easy part is to rebuild the trans. Miata transmissions show internal wear at about 40,000 miles. That 130,000 mile trans is probably no better than what you have in the car. Everyone is amazed how much nicer a fresh trans is compared to the worn out unit. Think of it as a pair of old worn out tennis shoes. The're comfortable and seem to be just fine. Untill you buy a new pair and realise just how bad the old ones are.

The hard part is to change the driver! Inside the shifter body there are 2 springs that center the shifter in the 3-4 gate. These springs are not very strong to begin with, and are worse with age. It takes very little side force to move the shifter into the 1-2 or 5-R gates. If you are holding the shifter with your fist, you are going to over power those 2 springs. You have complete control of the shifter, and YOU have to hit 3rd gear perfectly, or you will miss the shift.

Let go of the shifter!!!! You need to push it forward, out of second, into neutral. Delay a split second for the 2 springs to center the shifter, then simply push forward into 3rd gear. I like to palm the shifter, catching the top of the knob in the joint between my 1st and 2nd fingers. This gives me a good feel for what the shifter is doing, but does not overpower the springs.

It takes a little practice to get comfortable with this procedure. The same technique is used for starts and anytime traffic forces you into 2nd gear. So it is a valuable skill to learn. With a fresh trans (with new springs) and a little practice, you will not be missing the 2-3 upshift.

Hope this helps
Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
Having had this trouble in the past, and following Dave's recommendations I've become a lot more reliable at that shift and we have 2 places where it's necessary every lap at Portland. For the fast 3rd to 4th to avoid hitting 2nd :o , I switch my grip to the side of the knob with just my fingers wrapped around (not a full palm) and pull with the 1st 2 knuckles of my fingers. Haven't missed that shift since.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
Also can be a sign of weak motor mounts. When you get the chassis twisted a bit and the motor under load, things ain't where you are used to them being.

Any time you start to miss lots of shifts, look at the nylon bushing on the end of the shifter.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Number:53
Echoing what Dave said about shifting, and what Kent said about the nylon bushings and the motor mounts. I had a marginal 250K trans in the car that was having similar issues on the 2-3 shift at Summit. Slowing down the shifting helped, as did replacing the bushings and ultimately the motor mounts. Both of these were interim fixes, however. Ultimately I replaced the trans when fifth gear became notchy and first gear became an occasional thing with a rebuilt unit from RP and the transmission-caused missed shift issues went away.

Something about these cars just kills the motor mounts - they were a frequent replacement item for the 160K that I drove the car on the street, and my 100K street 90 is on it's second set as well. I imagine that the '99s with all of their huge HP and torque must go through them even faster.... :D

Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Yep, get those pro motor mounts from mazdaspeed.

Also, I find that I tend to crack a synchro ring on 3rd gear every season or two. This makes it grind on every upshift, but you can just slam it past the grind... for a while.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Joe Benoit

Joe Benoit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:28
We have the same issue at Sebring coming out of the hairpin from time to time. Like Dave says, open hand that shifter and let the springs do the work really solves the majority of the issues. MTL helped out in my transmission as well.

Joe
There must be a way to convert dirty diapers into race fuel!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
Every idea above could be the culprit. But I would still bet on driver/trans.

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Pardon the thread jack but is the competition engine mount part #NAY1-39-040, "Rubber, ENG, MNT"? I've got a few seals and gaskets to get that aren't in the kit and I'm looking for more parts so I don't pay more in shipping than parts. :lol:

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
Call the 800 number, the MazdaSpeed guys know the part number

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Go Time Racing

Go Time Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

My opinion is 2 fold. The nut behind the wheel and the trans is worn out.

The easy part is to rebuild the trans. Miata transmissions show internal wear at about 40,000 miles. That 130,000 mile trans is probably no better than what you have in the car. Everyone is amazed how much nicer a fresh trans is compared to the worn out unit. Think of it as a pair of old worn out tennis shoes. The're comfortable and seem to be just fine. Untill you buy a new pair and realise just how bad the old ones are.

The hard part is to change the driver! Inside the shifter body there are 2 springs that center the shifter in the 3-4 gate. These springs are not very strong to begin with, and are worse with age. It takes very little side force to move the shifter into the 1-2 or 5-R gates. If you are holding the shifter with your fist, you are going to over power those 2 springs. You have complete control of the shifter, and YOU have to hit 3rd gear perfectly, or you will miss the shift.

Let go of the shifter!!!! You need to push it forward, out of second, into neutral. Delay a split second for the 2 springs to center the shifter, then simply push forward into 3rd gear. I like to palm the shifter, catching the top of the knob in the joint between my 1st and 2nd fingers. This gives me a good feel for what the shifter is doing, but does not overpower the springs.

It takes a little practice to get comfortable with this procedure. The same technique is used for starts and anytime traffic forces you into 2nd gear. So it is a valuable skill to learn. With a fresh trans (with new springs) and a little practice, you will not be missing the 2-3 upshift.

Hope this helps
Dave

Hey Tom... are you taking notes? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
"Common sense... It's not rocket science."

Mike Tesch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users