cliffs911

cliffs911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:SF- Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1990
Attached File  IMG_0372.JPG   131.76KB   45 downloads

I bought these arms off of craigslist. Anyone have any ideas on how to get these bushings off?

thanks,

Cliff

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I think you need a press or do what this guy did.

http://www.miata.net...e/bushings.html

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
You can drill them or burn them out as well. I'd use a press if you have one.

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
You can also use a 3 arm pulley puller if you don't have a press. I will say that the press makes the job MUCH easier.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

rob20rx7

rob20rx7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:25
I just ordered the 22 piece bushing kit from Mazdaspeed. I plan on doing this next week. I will let you know what route i take if that helps.

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

I just ordered the 22 piece bushing kit from Mazdaspeed. I plan on doing this next week. I will let you know what route i take if that helps.

Having just recently done this, you are going to want to find a shop press if you have that many bushings. One or two can be done other ways, but for that large a job you are going to save yourself a LOT of cussing by using a shop press.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
I used a ball joint kit (big threaded c-clamp thing) and an air gun to spin it. I worry about the heat from the burning method affecting the integrity of the metal.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I used a ball joint kit (big threaded c-clamp thing) and an air gun to spin it. I worry about the heat from the burning method affecting the integrity of the metal.

The big drawback with burning is the smell and mess. The rubber is going to melt well below any temp that will affect the metal. The ball joint kits work depending on the config of the arm being serviced. I've got a great 3 in 1 joint service kit from HF, basically the same one OTC sells. On some arms it's easy to bend them. Same with a press but with a press it's a bit easier to fab tooling so the arms don't get damaged. A machine shop can do it. Around here it's about 5 bucks removal, 5 bucks install unless you have an in at the shop or are a frequent customer.

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Number:53
You want the Harbor Freight Ball Joint Press for this job.

Many moons ago when the earth was cooling my then girlfriend (now wife) and I replaced all the bushings on the racecar using it. It made the job so simple that she was able use it to remove the bushings while I removed the control arms. I've used it quite a few times since and it is well worth the money.

Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
^ +1 B)
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Maybe it's me, but I just can't into having my ball joints pressed. But, live and let live, i guess.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

rob20rx7

rob20rx7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:25

You want the Harbor Freight Ball Joint Press for this job.

Many moons ago when the earth was cooling my then girlfriend (now wife) and I replaced all the bushings on the racecar using it. It made the job so simple that she was able use it to remove the bushings while I removed the control arms. I've used it quite a few times since and it is well worth the money.

I have access to a shop press. i am comtemplating sending them off to get pressed but if you said you did the task with this tool then i will purchase it and save myself for than 150.00 bucks. did it work with the press sockets the kit came with? if so i will purchase it tonight.

Thanks
Rob

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
I just hope his really nice arms he bought off of CL are straight.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I have access to a shop press. i am comtemplating sending them off to get pressed but if you said you did the task with this tool then i will purchase it and save myself for than 150.00 bucks. did it work with the press sockets the kit came with? if so i will purchase it tonight.

Thanks
Rob

Absolutely worked fine right out of the box. As I noted above, it was so simple that after the first or second control arm I was able to hand them to the wife/girlfriend and she was able to remove the old bushings and press in the new ones with it, no bubbles, no troubles.
WDCR SSM #30

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:27
Any recommendation on grease or slippery stuff to help get the bushings in?

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Liquid hand soap.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hair mousse.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
"Adult lubricant."

Really. Water soluble, works like a charm. You just have to explain why you're headed out to the garage with a tube of the stuff...

WDCR SSM #30

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

"Adult lubricant."

Really. Water soluble, works like a charm. You just have to explain why you're headed out to the garage with a tube of the stuff...

It's even more troubling when you don't even get a funny look.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Astroslide B)...and hair lube.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing