- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I've been trying to seal my rear bulkhead on my 99 spec miata and was hoping to get some feedback. The three pictures show what I've sealed so far.

1. Around the cage bars
2. Covered all holes in the SBT
3. Covered all bolt holes.

Is this good? Anybody see anything I missed that they'll point out at tech.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

thanks.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
Put a bright light in the trunk and then look for light leaks in the interior. That will show you what is left to seal.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Looks pretty good to me Duncan. Wish mine was that clean and I have passed tech in two different regions so I am sure
tech will be no problem. Agree with Lee regarding light in the trunk.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Looks pretty good to me Duncan. Wish mine was that clean and I have passed tech in two different regions so I am sure
tech will be no problem. Agree with Lee regarding light in the trunk.

Thanks,

I did use the light in the trunk to plug the holes. Couldn't find any pictures of other people's rear bulkheads so just wanted a sanity check to make sure I had the right idea.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Scott Malbon

Scott Malbon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Blue Ridge
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:52
Looks good. On a related note the tech guys in my division (SEDiv) want the removable panel over the gas filler hoses to be installed.

Scott

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Chances are they won't point anything out in tech.

The light method is good. I see a number of gaps I don't see filled that I filled. I did go a bit over the top though sealing a few things. Some were probably gaps to nowhere.

A tube of high temp RTV sealant that fits in a caulking gun (available at parts stores) goes a long way to sealing funny gaps and corners. It looks like hell until you paint it, then it's invisible, and easier than fire blocking foam.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

GROOTS

GROOTS

SM

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:48
The best caulk to use is a fire-stopping product that we use in commercial buildings. 3m makes a water based firestop in a tube that is paintable after 30 minutes. Good stuff !! Its the 3m CP25WB+ little pricey but it isn't flammable. :D
  • Keith Novak likes this

Jeff Gruter

Excell Motorsports

Paramount Tool & Equiptment http://www.ptetool.com/

Hatzel & Buehler Electrical Construction - IBEW

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:37
Duncan,

That looks very clean. Job well done. I'm doing mine this winter for a new build. Do you mind sharing which aluminized tape you used and where you sourced it?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users