Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:71
While replacing the hardened, flacking and probably non-functioning sock on the fuel pump, we noticed the floor of the tank is a rusty color. Having never viewed the inside of a tank before, is this normal or should it be cleaned in some manner? What is a good in the car process if cleaning is needed? The fuel filter has been changed as well. Prior to these changes the fuel went in the tank clear and pumped out a yellowish color through the fuel port. We'll wait for responses before adding fuel, starting and draining the system to see what happens.

Race well,
Jim Venable
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
The restoration guys see this all the time. There are a few ways to go. One way is a kit like POR15 but you have to be careful to do it right and it doesn't appear legal in SM. A shop could hot dip it for you. Or you could buy a new tank in known good condition from either Mazdaspeed or one of the salvage parts places on the site will have a good one used for about 160 bucks or so.

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137
I sell used tanks without rust (the outside de-laminates) or sediment for $50 + sh.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users