2 replies to this topic

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
My son and I are both doing Torsen swaps on our '91's....I was surprised to find out his rear axle nuts were not 29mm as mine are. His was slightly larger (30mm?)...used a 1 1/4 socket with 3/4 drive.
One of my rear nuts was an absolute bitch to remove and he's a pretty strong 32 yr old. Would prefer to keep mine all 29, so anyone know if OEM is still 29mm? I'd like to buy some extras to have on hand.
And is it best to use an anti seize lubricant on the axle spines? (Still haven't been able to drive the drivers side axle out of the knuckle yet!)

Thanks...

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
I have a torsen in my '93 and both the old and new OEM nuts are 29mm.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:27
I have only seen those bigger nuts on the one-piece axles from 95+. The thread size is different too, they are not interchangeable.

Definitely anti-sieze on the splines, I use it on the nut threads too since flange you bang in will hold the nut on and then I can get it off without a trip to the local shop with the 3/4 drive pneumatic impact gun!

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users