ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

Is there any benefit in by-passing the heater core, outside of slight reduction of the cabin temp?

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92
my understanding is that it will remove that coolant that would have been in that part of the system, thus lowering the CG of the car.
I was going to do this on my car, but when i found out that it will make it so the defroster wont work anymore, i have reconsidered.
if i ever go travel somewhere and need the defroster system to work, it would suck not to have it available.

anyone know how much water this modification eliminates?
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Colby Scott

Colby Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Year:1990
You might want to reconsider leaving the heater core in the car. Removing it wont really lower the cabin temp that much since most of the heat comes from the exhaust anyway. The benefits of leaving it in the car are that you still have the use of your defroster and the core helps to keep your water temp down due to the discharge of heat through the core itself.

Terry Whitlock

Terry Whitlock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Number:36
By-pass is legal but removal of the heater core is not. Given the age of some of the cars there is always a risk of the heater core failing and developing a leak, so many choose the by-pass method. Maintaining the defroster capability is a counter argument to leave the heater in a functional state.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
I don't buy the lowering CG argument. I mean, what are we talking about, the weight of a 16oz bottle of water? And if anything, it would move the CG forward, which we don't need, unless the weight-loss is replaced with lead..

My cage builder pretty much ran my dash bar through the defroster vents, which made me unto happy. :angry: But the windshield can still get a little flow, when the blower is on hi.

Chris

- George Burns

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
As mentioned, it is not allowed to remove the heater core. It may be bypassed, but not removed.

With my cage design, the defroster vents are still usable, so I allways leave the heater core in the car. Untill it leaks, and then I bypass it.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
Never mentioned taking out the core, as I knew that was a no, no. was just curious if there was any benefit in by-passing it. Guess I won't worry about it unless the core starts leaking, or something.

Yeah, my cage builder did somethings quiet nicely, and some others that had me saying why the heck did you do that!
  • Duncan likes this

Chris

- George Burns

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
The response about removing the core was directed to this, <You might want to reconsider leaving the heater core in the car.> from Colby Scott above.

I hear that same comment often. Usually about a talented fabricator (specializing in drag or circle track racing) who is doing his one and only SM.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

To pull up an old thread. When one does by-pass the heater core, what size hose do you use? 3/4" I.D. is too  loose and 5/8" is too small. Didn't see anything in-between at my local NAPA or Advanced.

Chris

- George Burns

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

5/8" worked for my 1.6.  Got it from NAPA.  Plumbed it into one of Advanced Autosports small Coolant Gauge Adapter when I installed my temp gauge.

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

These pics remind me that I need to move the adapter and sending unit away from the header a bit more...

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

We know NA engine temp is higher at the rear of the engine from history reading and the re-plumb kits available.

Do you by chance have an aftermarket temp gauge between thermostat and radiator? If so what are the temp diff?

Does anyone know the wide open throttle temp difference between the front and rear of the engine?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

We know NA engine temp is higher at the rear of the engine from history reading and the re-plumb kits available.

Do you by chance have an aftermarket temp gauge between thermostat and radiator? If so what are the temp diff?

Does anyone know the wide open throttle temp difference between the front and rear of the engine?

If you're asking me, no I do not but I am curious.

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

I have a sensor in the outlet of the radiator, and a couple of sensors in the back of the head. I've got a springfield dyno radiator, and generally see about 20-25 degF deltaT across the radiator. Spot check of a race last fall with 100degF ambient showed 200degF at the back of the head and 178degF exiting the radiator.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

You have a sensor at the outlet of the radiator? I think Dave is interested in the temp at the back of the head compared to the inlet of the radiator. I would like to know as well so perhaps I'll temporarily install a second one.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

You have a sensor at the outlet of the radiator? I think Dave is interested in the temp at the back of the head compared to the inlet of the radiator. I would like to know as well so perhaps I'll temporarily install a second one.

You would be correct Steve, post the results please, thanks. 

Talked with Mark Meller, he did mention calibration can make the same mfg. dyno results different. Same dyno still shows pluses or minuses for changes.

4,000 rpm to 6,873 rpm, 8 seconds, 109 lb ft at 5,700 rpm, 127 hp at 6,800 rpm. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
OK, good, thanks Dave. I will replicate that this evening but I already know I won't get anywhere near those numbers. Using 8 seconds from 3500 to 7100 I see ~111-114 corrected peak HP. Can you check the graph for HP @6200? That's where I typically do initial static tuning, which reads higher because there is nothing wasted accelerating all the rotating parts. Even that is only about 120hp, but if I do that at the max HP RPM I may well see more typical numbers. I'll do that as well.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Mark said he would send the files. If not in a day or two I'll give him another call.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Update: I did find out that 5/8" tubing will work, just needs a little lube. However, straight tube does not like to make the 180° bend and becomes restrictive. I did find a pre-molded piece that should work.  http://www.summitrac...87617/overview/

Chris

- George Burns

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Update: I did find out that 5/8" tubing will work, just needs a little lube. However, straight tube does not like to make the 180° bend and becomes restrictive. I did find a pre-molded piece that should work.  http://www.summitrac...87617/overview/

Good find on that one.  

I just re-used one of the stock pre-molded hoses as pictured above.

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

This one has worked well for us on many cars: 

http://www.napaonlin...1666_0297059217

Mark

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AFR, Lamda, Heater hose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users