Photo

The #1 On-track Adjustment for Driver Improvement is...?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Ok, so please bear with me here. I am starting my second year of racing. I think of myself as a pretty good former auto crosser and a decently good track driver. I know in both venues I have much room for improvement (well at least a few seconds a lap) which is what I am really looking for in the coming year. So, I am reading books and trying to visualize what it takes for me to go faster. What I would like to do here, since this is the OFF season for most of us, is to take advantage of the tremendous talent on this forum. If we throw out the consumables such as new tires every event, dyno this and dyno that, data analysis, '99's vs 1.6's, pro motors, etc, etc....

What is the number 1 on track adjustment a newer driver can make to improve times.....is it throttle induced oversteer, later apexing, trail braking, and so forth. Going faster can be a information overload for many of us newer guys. I would love to hear from those who have been successful in lowering their times just on the driving techniques. I know I could spend a ton of money going to school after school to learn a lot of this, but again, that is a financial obstacle for many of us. And I hope those who have spent the money to improve their driving, will not be offended because I am throwing this out essentially for free instruction, even if on-line. Maybe you have a specific on track event at a particular corner where something just seemed to click resulting in consistently lower track times. I want to concentrate on really one discipline, which when applied correctly during a 30 minute sprint race, can achieve significant results.

I just thought this would be a nice little topic those really successful drivers would like to pontificate about and that us slower guys would find really valuable. And I am hopeful these adjustments will work on any track so please don't be track specific. And please, those guys who know me, refrain from suggesting that the key to me dropping lap times is loosing weight.....as my grandson would say..."I know dat"!

Happy New Year......

Bill
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
IMHO, no school I've ever been to will teach the good stuff because driving 10/10ths of a cars potential is well -- tricky and kind of dangerous.

Numero Uno is probably max adhesion from entry to exit, which most of the drivers I see are not using. Some, not even close!

I'm trying to be cryptic on purpose. Will give more detail to those who PM or approach me with a beer in the Paddock.

There are some really good parts of books out there on the subject. Just need to put it all together.

-bw
  • Johnny D likes this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I have hard data that proves without too much doubt...having a beer with Bruce can indeed be the #1 performance enhancing adjustment. Everything else is just details.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
-
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

IMHO, no school I've ever been to will teach the good stuff because driving 10/10ths of a cars potential is well -- tricky and kind of dangerous.

Numero Uno is probably max adhesion from entry to exit, which most of the drivers I see are not using. Some, not even close!

I'm trying to be cryptic on purpose. Will give more detail to those who PM or approach me with a beer in the Paddock.

There are some really good parts of books out there on the subject. Just need to put it all together.

-bw

So what does a 6-pack get me Bruce? I'll try and pm u if I can....would like further elaboration on "maximum adhesion"
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63
Interesting question... I have been instructing HPDE for the past 12 years and although I do up to 20 events a season, I think that without instruction, you are stuck.

And I am not talking the right hand passenger seat instructor (although that CAN help a little). I'd say a good data acquisition system and someone to translate the data into english and give you input on how you can improve (and maybe set "control group" laps in your car for you to compare to). That would be the best way to improve, be it car set-up or driving style.

All pro athletes have a coach, I don't see why anyone driving wouldn't think that could be some help. It is even mentioned in the last Grassroots Motorsports mag.

In know that in the Washington DC area there are LOADS of "teams", King Rat, RP Performance, Meathead, Windsor, etc... find one, attach yourself to them, volunteer your time, make friends, and they will give you pointers and make you faster.

Hope that helps!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68
I'm not saying that schools don't help. Coaching is a completely different story. I have a coach and I coach people too (besides running an SCCA School). The work I did to learn how to run with pack is something I encourage everyone to think about and continue thinking about. At our level there is room for lots of improvement even at the top levels. It would be interesting to hear Rampleburg Saini, or Herr discuss how much they've improved their game since moving to pro.

Like Dave says search out someone from one of the top teams and make friends. That is how it's done!

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco

Brake less, gas more.

Be on one, brake/gas, but don't be on nothing coasting.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
One technique won't do it but what these guys are saying about coaching will. Laying down a flier under a controlled condition circuit is one thing. Having 20 of you closest pals wanting the same piece of tarmac is another. The line you might take and the techniques you use going into the carousel off the back straight at PIR could vary depending on race conditions. A coach helps you evaluate those sorts of circumstances. Same with other racers in your run group. Don't get frustrated, it's going to take a while to learn. Go out every session you can to get seat time. Set attainable goals and work to beat them. Skip Barber school has a pretty good book on basic race craft, Going Faster.

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0837602262

Dave
  • Johnny D likes this

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
I certainly have an appreciation for what a coach can do regardless of the particular level a driver is at...but the particular skill sets are what I am trying to get a better handle on. Bruce's comment regarding maximum adhesion makes perfect sense, but what's the best way to achieve that apart from optimal car set up? Having read through Going Faster twice already this off season, the technique I have been neglecting the most IMO is "trail braking". I am not sure I really knew exactly what it was and why it is so important. I may be wrong, but seems this skill, when properly executed, would allow better entry, with better adhesion, allowing earlier throttle application.....essentially fast in and fast out!! I tend to fly down the straightaway, (no coasting allowed), jump the brakes reaching threshold braking, release the brakes, turn in and hang on...and hope I make the apex! A work in progress as you can see....

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Practice. Seat time is key.

I also find that sim racing keeps my mind sharp and using some of the available internet programs that can link with iRacing you can really see what technique goes into a fast last.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA