Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:36
Looks like there is starting to be a pretty decent list of Miatas going. I was looking over the Supps - What is the Club Trial group?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Looks like there is starting to be a pretty decent list of Miatas going. I was looking over the Supps - What is the Club Trial group?

Dave:
It's an option similar to NASA's TT but with passing rules similar to HPDE 2-3. Actually think NASA TT light and that's pretty much it!
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Dave:
It's an option similar to NASA's TT but with passing rules similar to HPDE 2-3. Actually think NASA TT light and that's pretty much it!
Rick

I am going just waiting until after this weekends NASA race to make sure I have a car.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
I am going, I am just waiting until after this weekend's NASA race to make sure I have a car.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM

I am going, I am just waiting until after this weekend's NASA race to make sure I have a car.

Why, is Rick going to try to run at NASA? :rolleyes:

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM

Dave,

Rick's answer is fairly accurate, as long as you know NASA. If not, the Club Trial is similar to the SCCA's PDX, with the exception that we allow competition by being timed. Still limited passing zones (4 around the track), but you are now doing laps against the clock. Open to street licensed cars, Solo preped cars in Stock, Street Prepared, Street Modified, or Street Touring, or GCR preped cars in Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, Touring or Improved Touring classes.

We are going to run the Club Trial just like any of the other race groups. The Club Trial is separately sanctioned, but we will be utilizing all the same support volunteers with the exception of the stewards. Participants will go to the False Grid and be released just like any other group except that we will space them apart by a few seconds as they leave Pit Out. After that, it is very similar to qualifying; warm the tires up and shooting for a clean lap.

This is the first Club Trial anyone in the Great Lakes Division has put on, so we are trying to be a little conservative in our approach. As such, it is being limited to participants that have a fair amount of on-track experience (PDX, HPDE, Time Trials, Driving Schools, etc.).

BTW, Group 8, the Club Trial, will only be running on Saturday.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Dave,

Rick's answer is fairly accurate, as long as you know NASA. If not, the Club Trial is similar to the SCCA's PDX, with the exception that we allow competition by being timed. Still limited passing zones (4 around the track), but you are now doing laps against the clock. Open to street licensed cars, Solo preped cars in Stock, Street Prepared, Street Modified, or Street Touring, or GCR preped cars in Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, Touring or Improved Touring classes.

We are going to run the Club Trial just like any of the other race groups. The Club Trial is separately sanctioned, but we will be utilizing all the same support volunteers with the exception of the stewards. Participants will go to the False Grid and be released just like any other group except that we will space them apart by a few seconds as they leave Pit Out. After that, it is very similar to qualifying; warm the tires up and shooting for a clean lap.

This is the first Club Trial anyone in the Great Lakes Division has put on, so we are trying to be a little conservative in our approach. As such, it is being limited to participants that have a fair amount of on-track experience (PDX, HPDE, Time Trials, Driving Schools, etc.).

BTW, Group 8, the Club Trial, will only be running on Saturday.

Jerry I think you should develop this and do more of it. I have several friends who do NASA TT and would love to come run with me when I go to SCCA races, which, as you can see I am trying to do as many as I can. So its a good direction, but I would try to get it to be close to the NASA rules so that you can get a good crossover effect. From a participation standpoint this is important. One thing I like about SM is the ability to cross over between both SCCA and NASA. not real happy about this year with different weights and restrictor for the 1999sm but its doable.

I looked into buying a Mustang challenge car that I was going to try and field in NASA's American Iron and SCCA's STO classes, but decided against it because it was not close enough for me. Just food for thought.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Why, is Rick going to try to run at NASA? :rolleyes:

Because I'm working on nailing down the 2011 DNF championship in both sanctioning groups smart azz. :(
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year