• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51

http://pitstopusa.co...-pro-blend.html

Yeah, pretty SURE not legal for race.

Tell me again how tech will actually measure this? What's the speced durometer of tires for SM?

I was trying to figure out how the national guys were only getting 10 heat cycles out of their Hoosiers? :rolleyes: Now we know.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:56

Tell me again how tech will actually measure this? What's the speced durometer of tires for SM?

I was trying to figure out how the national guys were only getting 10 heat cycles out of their Hoosiers? :rolleyes: Now we know.

Tech cannot measure it. There is no spec durometer. Karting, WoO, Nascar are all going through this stuff. WKA finally got what they call a tire sniffer than can detect the fumes from preps/chemicals. Only way other than that is to have the tire tested at a lab which costs $$$$$$$$. Coming from karting, these tire chemicals are very familiar with me, and I hate them. Nasty stuff...
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
I also suggest not using Pro-blend tire chemicals on the hoosiers...there is better stuff.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Tech cannot measure it. There is no spec durometer. Karting, WoO, Nascar are all going through this stuff. WKA finally got what they call a tire sniffer than can detect the fumes from preps/chemicals. Only way other than that is to have the tire tested at a lab which costs $$$$$$$$. Coming from karting, these tire chemicals are very familiar with me, and I hate them. Nasty stuff...

At the local NASCAR level they check with a durometer and a sniffer. If the hardness is out of spec for any reason you are DQed, suspended and fined. Inex, at least around here, does the same thing with the Legends, et al. In the regional and national touring series there are strict tire control rules and most of the time you don't get the chance to take the tires away from prying eyes for chemical prep. They also have facilities at the R&D center in Concord to compare chemical makeup. Karting and dirt track and "outlaw" circle track is where most of the tire cheating happens.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

At the local NASCAR level they check with a durometer and a sniffer. If the hardness is out of spec for any reason you are DQed, suspended and fined. Inex, at least around here, does the same thing with the Legends, et al. In the regional and national touring series there are strict tire control rules and most of the time you don't get the chance to take the tires away from prying eyes for chemical prep. They also have facilities at the R&D center in Concord to compare chemical makeup. Karting and dirt track and "outlaw" circle track is where most of the tire cheating happens.

There are tire chemicals that pass the sniffer, unfortunately. But youre right, the sniffer is being used. Nascar has contacted WKA about their new sniffer. Which is very good actually. It can detect windex on your tire. For now, tire chemicals are none existent in WKA National events. You can almost throw away the durometer test, I can treat a set of tires and have the durometer be the same. Karting is horrible with the tire games. It has become one of those things where if you dont have the right stuff, you might as well go home.

The GCR says no modification of the tire. Only modification permitted is for a street radial to be shaved or "Trued"

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
When I was road racing shifters nationally there was a kid at a WKA event that was doing some tire prep in his trailer. Can't remember if it was at a road race or a sprint track. He caught himself on fire in the trailer and a passer by saw what they thought was a jug of water and threw it on him. Turns out it was methanol, he had an alcohol powered kart. IIRC the guy was hurt pretty badly but it didn't kill him.

When I was running in the Whelen All American series we didn't have a tire rule in our class (except they had to be street tires, no smaller than 60 series)but the classes that did run race tires had pretty strict rules. Places like The Bullring or Irwindale will impound your tires between races. If they catch you it's a pretty harsh penalty. OTOH, out at the local IMCA dirt track while it's against the rules, many if not most of the modified guys dope the tires. Seems like the track just looks the other way.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
Yeah I had a good friend of mine have surgery bc of tire chemicals. They are NASTY. No matter oval or road racing, karts treat their tires and none of them are smart about it. When I do my karting stuff, i wear latex gloves and I do it in an open area with good ventilation.

How many time has Bloomquist been caughting tire prepping in WoO? :rolleyes: I have some good connections with some tire "chemists" in karting and some of the stuff I hear about the dirt car guys is just plain crazy...

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:36
Well, I finally ran the four plus year old hoosiers after my 19 heat cycle set quickly went south. Surprisingly, after about two laps, they came in nicely and felt pretty good. With only a gray cycle or two on them previously, we'll see how long these last. I did try the simple green technique, which seemed to make them feel a little tackier for a day or two, but seemed to go back to previous hardness after that. After the session, they softened up some, but not quite like a newer set. For the $300 in price and gas I have invested in two and an iffy third set, I sure won't complain.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users