11 replies to this topic

Mark Franklin

Mark Franklin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:RMDIV SCCA (retired)
  • Car Number:#25
I'm asking for help to understand an issue that is common with 2000 Miatas. I bought two 2000 donor cars. Both came with fog lights. I've heard that around half of the 2000 Miatas were sold with a dealer-installed option kit where they cut holes in the front bumper, put on a trim ring supplied by Mazda, and bolted the foglight behind the trim ring. I searched the archives and found nothing on this topic.

When I built my car in 2008, I removed the fog lights for safety. As to what to do with the hole, I figured it would not be legal to have these holes supplying fresh air to the brakes and engine area, so I removed the trim rings and covered the holes with smooth plastic, attempting to make the contour conform as closely as possible to the original bumper lines.

At a race in July, a competitor tried to protest me for my fog light covers. Tech advised him that it wasn't worth a protest and were persuaded by him to make a note in my log book saying "fog light coverings not compliant, verify compliance with GCR 9.1.8.c.7 before next event". One other competitor who runs a 2001 told me I should get plugs to insert in the fog light holes. I called Mazda and ordered the 2001 plugs ("there is no such thing for 2000 cars"). They do not fit on my 2000 car, whether or not the trim rings are installed.

The only thing I can find in the GCR section 9.1.8.c.7 that would address this issue is this... "Body repair shall be performed using every reasonable effort to maintain stock body contours, lips, etc. Any body repair modification having as its purpose increased clearance is prohibited." I believe that my original fog light covers were within this guideline.

Is there any consensus on how to deal with this issue?

Thanks,
Mark Franklin
Mark Franklin

RMD #25
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Your fog light covers are fine. Please tell any tech person that gives you static on this to call me personally. Mike Collins 240-476-1593. I will gladly explain to them exactly how to read the GCR and what it means.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:CDR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
Wow Mark. They can’t beet you on track so they are trying to make things up? Sounds like you meet the GCR requirements to me. See you at Miller.

Matt

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Is there any consensus on how to deal with this issue?

I recommend having an extra (micro-brew, not the 3.2 swill) beer with us at the BBQ on Sat to help relieve the stress. I can't imagine any of our local guys caring. Can't speak for those wound-tight Cali guys coming in though. (I kid, I kid. :P) See you this weekend!

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:70
Okay lets get the facts straight.

I asked Tech after the race if it was legal, you can only protest 1-hour prior to the race so that was not my intent. He said I don't know i'll look it up, he got back to me and said no it isn't. I then asked if anything was going to be done and the tech offical said he wrote it up in the logbook. This same weekend they asked every NA that had a little too much opening between the headlight covers to get there logbook so they could write it up instead of just saying fix it now. My issue was with tech saying something is non-compliant and then just writing in the logbook. If i'm found non-compliant then it should be dealt with and not writing in my logbook. I never tried to file a protest, I just wanted to know if it was legal. Just like two years ago when I asked if washers under the sway bar mounts are legal and the answer was NO.

I've already been told I tried to make a weenie protest, I didn't know that asking an offical was filing a protest but apparently in Colorado it is.

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Covering the fog-light holes is NOT illegal. In fact, IT IS REQUIRED! Please feel free to have whomever it is that does not understand this contact me.

Mike Collins
NATIONAL TECH INSPECTOR
SMAC MEMBER
SM - SCCA Runoffs Line Chief 2009
SM - NASA National Championships Tech 2010
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mark Franklin

Mark Franklin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
Mike,

I appreciate your response here. I was asking a serious question and you gave an appropriate answer.

Tyler,

My information about any racer's involvement here was second hand information. I should have stated that more clearly. I seriously wanted to make sure my fog light covers were compliant with the GCR, though.

In tech's defense, they just asked that I verify compliance, not that I change anything.

Mark
Mark Franklin

RMD #25
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Little Bill

Little Bill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
Seems to me there is a big difference between "to much opening" in a 1.6 headlight cover, and carefully crafted fog light covers that follow the contour of the bumper. IMO one is an attempt to stay within the rule set and one is an attempt to gain performance.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
I'm still voting for extra beer at the BBQ. Just don't let Tyler have any or you'll see things that no one wants to see and you may be blind for Sunday's race. ;)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Mark Franklin

Mark Franklin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

I'm still voting for extra beer at the BBQ. Just don't let Tyler have any or you'll see things that no one wants to see and you may be blind for Sunday's race. ;)

Todd,

Good advice on both counts! One reason I love this event is the great Wasatch beer that Jon Lee brings. And seeing all my friends in Utah.

Mark
Mark Franklin

RMD #25

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
On a side note, anyone who thinks that Tyler takes his racing too seriously hasn't spent much time with him. :blink: (Forum needs the evil grin/devil lock emoticon)

See everyone tomorrow or Sat.

NASA Utah SM Director

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM

Covering the fog-light holes is NOT illegal. In fact, IT IS REQUIRED! Please feel free to have whomever it is that does not understand this contact me.

Mike Collins
NATIONAL TECH INSPECTOR
SMAC MEMBER
SM - SCCA Runoffs Line Chief 2009
SM - NASA National Championships Tech 2010

Mike,

I would reference to the GCR section on "Cars and Equipment". Specifically section 9.3.32. "Lights mounted on or below the bumper shall be removed and all resulting holes shall be covered to prevent air passage through said hole." This is what I always intrepreted applied to the fog or driving lights in some Miatas. I don't think it matters how the hole is plugged, as long as it doesn't pass air. I've seen several over the years that didn't feel the need to plug the hole though.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users