East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Immediate Release

Hoosier Named Tire for National Spec Miata Competition Beginning in 2012

TOPEKA, Kan. (Aug. 19, 2011) – Sports Car Club of America has announced that Hoosier Racing Tire will become the exclusive tire supplier for the SCCA Club Racing Spec Miata class for National competition beginning in 2012.

Beginning January 1, 2012, all cars in the class will run exclusively on the Hoosier SM 6 tire in the P205/50ZR15 size, with the P205/50R15 Hoosier H2O designated for wet conditions.

“We conducted a survey of licensed Spec Miata competitors this past winter, and we believe that the move to the Hoosier products best addresses the feedback we received, within the parameters of our selection process,” SCCA President and CEO Jeff Dahnert said. “The survey results showed a strong preference for a molded dry tire that did not require shaving to a race depth. We shared the survey results with the Club Racing Board who, in turn, consulted with the Spec Miata Advisory Committee. All of these sources helped us to shape our decision. Additionally, we have received considerable feedback requesting universal support at National race events across the country from the tire provider.”

SCCA set forth a process to select the next tire early in 2011. After evaluating the survey information, input from the CRB and data from the most recent tire test conducted, the Hoosier tire was selected.

“We are extremely pleased and excited about this great opportunity,” said Bruce Foss, Sr. Product Manager, Hosier Racing Tire Corporation. “This program fortifies our strong and long-term commitment to SCCA Club Racing.”

Hoosier has locked in a price of $166 per tire plus tax for 2012, representing a 3.5 percent discount off the current SM 6 and a 25 percent discount off the 2011 price for an H20 tire. Additionally, Hoosier will provide 750 tires each year of the three-year agreement toward a comprehensive contingency program for National racers and provide technical, service and sales support at each SCCA Nationally-sanctioned event through its network of dealers.

Established in 2006 as a National-level class, but existing for several years before that in Regional competition, Spec Miata exclusively utilizes the 1990-2005 Mazda Miata with safety modifications and an approved suspension kit available through MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development. Since its inclusion into the SCCA Club Racing National program, Spec Miata has finished first or second in annual class participation, making it an extremely popular program within SCCA. Spec Miata utilized the Toyo Tires Proxes RA1 tire from 2006-2008 and 2010-2011 and the Toyo Tires Proxes R888 tire in 2009.

About Hoosier Racing Tire Corp.
Hoosier is the world’s largest race tire manufacturer with tires for every type of racing venue, including sports cars, drag racing, asphalt and dirt tires for oval racing and karting. For additional information on Hoosier Racing Tire and its line of high performance racing tires, visit www.hoosiertire.com.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SOW
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Absolutely awesome news. So happy that SCCA leadership has made a good decision. Thank you BOD and everyone else who helped make this happen.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57
YES!

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM
Thank You SMAC, CRB, and BOD. I've run Hoosier in almost all the regional races for the past 6 years and have been very happy with the tire, the local dealer support, and Hoosier Corp as a whole.

:D :D :D :D :D

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
Great news! Anyone need a set of nearly new Toyo rains?
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Team Cochran

Team Cochran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:80
Maybe I've missed something here but to me its BAD news... My garage currently has two sets of Toyo R888 tires with plenty of life, two sets of RA1 dries with 3 heat cycles on one and more on the others plus one new set of RA1 rains that haven't seen the track yet! So now all that is trash for next year?!

On top of that I have to buy rains that can't be used as dry tires later? WTF are people thinking? This class is supposed to be the inexpensive way to get in and stay racing... This change goes against that philosophy IMHO... :angry:
Geoff
SM #80
Oregon SCCA
THE fastest SM Rental in the Northwest!

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

Maybe I've missed something here but to me it BAD news... My garage currently has two sets of Toyo R888 tires with plenty of life, two sets of RA1 dries with 3 heat cycles on one and more on the others plus one new set of RA1 rains that haven't seen the track yet! So now all that is trash for next year?!

On top of that I have to buy rains that can't be used as dry tires later? WTF are people thinking? This class is supposed to be the inexpensive way to get in and stay racing... This change goes against that philosophy IMHO... :angry:

1) Most regional events are open tire rule
2)The tires cost less per set to purchase...
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
At the national level the class hasn't been inexpensive in years. Good to see a homegrown product get the nod.
  • john mueller likes this

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
I know this thread is about the SCCA's decision... but has anyone heard anything about whether NASA is going to follow suit next year? or are they going to be running the RA1 still.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11
Normally there is some grace period to use up old stuff – I would hope for 7/1/13 for dry and 1/1/14 for wets (more than ¼ inch at end of race)

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
I would bet if you have a track day club around you, they would scarf up your old tires. I have 2 buyers for mine already!
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Normally there is some grace period to use up old stuff – I would hope for 7/1/13 for dry and 1/1/14 for wets (more than ¼ inch at end of race)

Doubt that long of grace period. Why does it matter to you anyway? You told me you were racing SCCA anymore after the ARRC.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA