Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
Central Florida Region will run the National tires. I would not expect a grace period for National races beginning with the CFR and Florida Region Nationals in January. Also when we went to the R-888 last time the SARRC series made the swich at the October SARRC race at Sebring (start of 2012 SARRC season) will probably require Hoosiers.
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Gonna miss sliding like a hooligan on the good old toyos, but can't wait to try the hoosiers and win some tires.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Richter Racing

Richter Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:SoCal
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:29
Guess I better go out and start peeling off those Toyo stickers.
Only boring people get bored.

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:40
(Personally, I'm pleased to have a new hot topic thread. Work was getting boring and my next race isn't until Oct):)

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30

Gonna miss sliding like a hooligan on the good old toyos, but can't wait to try the hoosiers and win some tires.

Funny how everybody thinks they're gonna win on the new tires, since the new tires are so much faster. :rolleyes:

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94
Cool! Wonder how much faster they'd be if I shaved them to 2/32"?

I'll bet the rains shaved to 1 or 2/32" would make a great qualifying tire too!

Can't wait to try them out!

Ken
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:36
So I take it we are going to have to wait until Jan 1 to get any of these? Just getting started and don't have rains yet - was planning on buying a set fairly soon. Lucked out on weather so far.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Team Cochran

Team Cochran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:80
I predict fewer people running the national events... at least around here due to this rule, myself included.
Geoff
SM #80
Oregon SCCA
THE fastest SM Rental in the Northwest!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Funny how everybody thinks they're gonna win on the new tires, since the new tires are so much faster. :rolleyes:

Didn't say that. I won just fine in January on the toyos. I can do it again on hoo hoos.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts

Cool! Wonder how much faster they'd be if I shaved them to 2/32"?

I'll bet the rains shaved to 1 or 2/32" would make a great qualifying tire too!

You're a sick puppy, Ken! :lol:

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51

So I take it we are going to have to wait until Jan 1 to get any of these? Just getting started and don't have rains yet - was planning on buying a set fairly soon. Lucked out on weather so far.

Just call your Hoosier dealer. I have been using the SM6 for two seasons.

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Number:63

My garage currently has:

• two sets of Toyo R888 tires with plenty of life
  • two sets of RA1 dries with 3 heat cycles on one and more on the others
  • one new set of RA1 rains that haven't seen the track yet!
So now all that is trash for next year?!

Two of the top 3 ITA drivers in the MARRS series are in Miatas (and actually more like at least 5 of the top ten) we all have one set of Hoosier SM6 (that were bought in March) and one set of the new H20 wet tires each.

You have 5 sets of tires? That is just crazy. And I can't believe you even brought up the R888 tires. They have always been an awful tire.
Sell the tires you have to some HPDE people, and buy Hoosiers. You don't need 5 sets of tires anymore, the Hoosiers are great. One set will last you a full season (and more). One set of rains will last you 5 years. Now you can save money and be economical with your race team.

Not good enough? Here are some other ideas:
  • Find an ITA Miata, go in halvsies on Hoosier H20 tires
  • You can use your Toyo Tires in NASA
  • You can use your Toyo Tires in ITA
There are so many options open to you now!

Still not good? How does FREE sound?
NASA Time Trials has the SICKEST tire contingency rewards. 7+ in a class and Hoosier pays out to the top 3 (2 tires to P1, 1 tire to P2, 1 tire to P3) and they do 2 races per weekend! You can win a full set per weekend!!! Hoosier takes care of its drivers.

So do NASA TT, then do NASA SM and/or SCCA SM.

Hope that helps make you feel better about the new decision.

Dave
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Didn't you forget "a chicken in every pot", Dave? ;)

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I know this thread is about the SCCA's decision... but has anyone heard anything about whether NASA is going to follow suit next year? or are they going to be running the RA1 still.

I had it confirmed yesterday that the Toyo RA1 will remain as NASAs SM spec tire for 2012
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

You don't need 5 sets of tires anymore, the Hoosiers are great. One set will last you a full season (and more). One set of rains will last you 5 years. Now you can save money and be economical with your race team.

I'm not singling Dave out here because I have seen numerous people say something to this effect. The world is pretty simple, you can be good, fast or cheap, but not all three. I find it pretty unbelievable that the Hoosiers will last longer than the Toyos, be faster than the Toyos and be cheaper than the Toyos. And provide an equivalent contingency program??

This is speculation since I have not run them, but I doubt they will last longer or be less expensive for competitive drivers as the Hoosiers reportedly drop off after the initial heat cycles (like most race tires...). You might say, "what about the majority of the class?" Perfectly reasonable: if longevity is all you care about, Toyo has a tire that will last most of a season too, it's called a 6/32" shave.

Finally, I see a lot of people saying "most" regions have open tire rules regionally. It's not that way on the west coast.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Well said Brian.

With my experience on the Hoosier, the will last longer "for me" as I start the Toyos at 2/32. Faster really doesn't matter at this point. Not so sure that are faster everywhere either. Imo a 3/32-4/32 Toyo will last about the same as a new Hoosier. No one is getting a season out of a Hoosier or a Toyo IMO.

One thing I think many aren't considering... The Hoosier IS MUCH EASIER to drive on, I mean MUCH EASIER. this will bring fields much tighter together which is a good things. Many mid pack guys can't drive the Toyos near the edge like the faster guys, but the Hoosiers, most anyone will be able to do it. So I think it will bring the fields closer than ever.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Car Number:68
Well said Brian, I agree 100% And for the competitive, these will be shaved and they will last 1 weekend, which is not different from the Toyo. The one downside for those of us in that camp -- we'll be throwing away our rains after their first wet to dry race :(

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Car Number:68

One thing I think many aren't considering... The Hoosier IS MUCH EASIER to drive on, I mean MUCH EASIER. this will bring fields much tighter together which is a good things. Many mid pack guys can't drive the Toyos near the edge like the faster guys, but the Hoosiers, most anyone will be able to do it. So I think it will bring the fields closer than ever.
Jim

so 99's and Hoosiers are for sissies :D

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

-bw

+1
:D

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

-bw

"I don't care who ya are, that right there is funny"...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users