Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

One thing I think many aren't considering... The Hoosier IS MUCH EASIER to drive on, I mean MUCH EASIER. this will bring fields much tighter together which is a good things. Many mid pack guys can't drive the Toyos near the edge like the faster guys, but the Hoosiers, most anyone will be able to do it. So I think it will bring the fields closer than ever.
Jim

Damn.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Team Cochran

Team Cochran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:80

Two of the top 3 ITA drivers in the MARRS series are in Miatas (and actually more like at least 5 of the top ten) we all have one set of Hoosier SM6 (that were bought in March) and one set of the new H20 wet tires each.

You have 5 sets of tires? That is just crazy. And I can't believe you even brought up the R888 tires. They have always been an awful tire.
Sell the tires you have to some HPDE people, and buy Hoosiers. You don't need 5 sets of tires anymore, the Hoosiers are great. One set will last you a full season (and more). One set of rains will last you 5 years. Now you can save money and be economical with your race team.

Not good enough? Here are some other ideas:

• Find an ITA Miata, go in halvsies on Hoosier H20 tires
  • You can use your Toyo Tires in NASA
  • You can use your Toyo Tires in ITA
There are so many options open to you now!

Still not good? How does FREE sound?
NASA Time Trials has the SICKEST tire contingency rewards. 7+ in a class and Hoosier pays out to the top 3 (2 tires to P1, 1 tire to P2, 1 tire to P3) and they do 2 races per weekend! You can win a full set per weekend!!! Hoosier takes care of its drivers.

So do NASA TT, then do NASA SM and/or SCCA SM.

Hope that helps make you feel better about the new decision.

Dave

There used to be a guy named Jim Jones who'd have enjoyed selling you a bunch of coolaid! ;)
BTW here in the Northwest the only NASA I know about sends rockets to Mars and TT is for sissies... So what is MARRS anyway?
Geoff
SM #80
Oregon SCCA
THE fastest SM Rental in the Northwest!

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Number:63

I'm not singling Dave out here because I have seen numerous people say something to this effect. The world is pretty simple, you can be good, fast or cheap, but not all three. I find it pretty unbelievable that the Hoosiers will last longer than the Toyos, be faster than the Toyos and be cheaper than the Toyos. And provide an equivalent contingency program??

I dunno...
Faster, yes. Cheaper? Doubt it, maybe closer to equal. Last longer? Again, you are looking closer to the same, maybe a little longer. Contingency program? I can only speak from experience (I don't like to speculate) They have been great. Look here: http://www.hoosierti...om/NASAawdg.htm

This is speculation since I have not run them, but I doubt they will last longer or be less expensive for competitive drivers as the Hoosiers reportedly drop off after the initial heat cycles (like most race tires...). You might say, "what about the majority of the class?" Perfectly reasonable: if longevity is all you care about, Toyo has a tire that will last most of a season too, it's called a 6/32" shave.

Not going to argue with you. Try them... My experience is that top people in our series are not going through gobs of tires. 2 sets for the season, one set for the championship race.

Finally, I see a lot of people saying "most" regions have open tire rules regionally. It's not that way on the west coast.

Agree... Not here either.

There used to be a guy named Jim Jones who'd have enjoyed selling you a bunch of coolaid! ;)
BTW here in the Northwest the only NASA I know about sends rockets to Mars and TT is for sissies... So what is MARRS anyway?

Said the guy who drives a Miata ;)

MARRS = Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Series. Washington DC Region SCCA.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

So what is MARRS anyway?

Posted Image

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
So, will the top SM with the Money be shaving Hoosiers, or will they race them straight out of the wrappers, or does it make a difference?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So, will the top SM with the Money be shaving Hoosiers, or will they race them straight out of the wrappers, or does it make a difference?

I think you will certainly see shaved Hoosiers at the Runoffs if they prove to be faster. Although it is not "legal" But impossible to prove. I bet you won't see it on a normal weekend though unless you are in the NE division.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
The only way to keep some folks from shaving would be to make it mandatory. ;)

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88
It was sort of inevitable that at some point the tires would change. The oldest cars almost qualify as vintage. Lots of people complained about the horrible 888s that set several lap records nationwide and here at least didn't change the lap times much once people figured them out. Changing 4 times in 4 years is definately a pain. With the grace period on the Toyos, if you just wanted to race with whatever you had in the garage, you could and it didn't make a huge difference other than maybe at the very pointy end. Not sure how that will work with the switch to purple if they really are a big improvement since people get caught up in the arms race wherever they are in the pack, from the pointy end all the way to the back-markers.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge you can't run a SM in ITA anymore. In many regions there was a rule that you could run as long as you were in full SM trim but apparently people were complaining about little chick cars dominating ITA so virtually the entire class moved over to STL where little chick cars once again dominate allowing ITA to become yet another one car class. In STL, the rule is also legal in full SM trim so you can't use the old tires there. Maybe if the Hoosiers are so much better, we won't be able to run STL and it will become the next one car class, or maybe if we can still run STL, we can run in full trim except you can run your old Toyos. I'm not really sure I can figure out how to bring that many sets of wheels to the track.

Not being at the pointy end, I see a couple test days in my future or maybe an enduro to go out and have a good laugh using up my Toyos...then yet another $2k or so for 2 sets of drys and a set of rains. I suspect that if I manage to chew up or square another rain set in a drying session, I'll see how they work shaved down too.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I'm not singling Dave out here because I have seen numerous people say something to this effect. The world is pretty simple, you can be good, fast or cheap, but not all three. I find it pretty unbelievable that the Hoosiers will last longer than the Toyos, be faster than the Toyos and be cheaper than the Toyos. And provide an equivalent contingency program??

This is speculation since I have not run them, but I doubt they will last longer or be less expensive for competitive drivers as the Hoosiers reportedly drop off after the initial heat cycles (like most race tires...). You might say, "what about the majority of the class?" Perfectly reasonable: if longevity is all you care about, Toyo has a tire that will last most of a season too, it's called a 6/32" shave.

Finally, I see a lot of people saying "most" regions have open tire rules regionally. It's not that way on the west coast.

+1 from me too.

This is my rookie year. Started the year with 6/32 shaves and I can almost finish the year on these tires. If I run 4/32 shaves, I'd only need two sets of tires for the entire season.

I haven't driven on slicks in ages. Last time I did, they certainly did not stay competitive or consistent for as many heat cycles as the RA1. No way in hell.

I don't buy the open tire rules but no further comment from me on that.

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
I know that the Hoosiers will keep decent grip for a while like the toyos, however I also know that if you want to win you will still have to buy a new set every race weekend like the shaved toyos. I haven't driven on the SM Hoosier but I'm assuming they are like other compound Hoosiers I have driven on with BMW's etc. Those lasted about four 25 min sessions before they start to drop off similar to toyo. The only advantage is the Hoosiers are a LOT faster when they are good.
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I had it confirmed yesterday that the Toyo RA1 will remain as NASAs SM spec tire for 2012

Why? Is that it? Toyo's or go home? It sure would be nice if the SCCA and NASA made it easier to race both series. Doubling a tire budget to race both series is a bit much. That stance will definitely differentiate your product.

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

Why? Is that it? Toyo's or go home? It sure would be nice if the SCCA and NASA made it easier to race both series. Doubling a tire budget to race both series is a bit much. That stance will definitely differentiate your product.

+1 on this.

It is going to cost me about $3400 for another 2 sets of dry Hoosiers and wheels as well as 1 set of Hoosier rains and wheels. It is also not about the initial cost, but making full use out of the tires. Both groups running the same tires makes this much easier. There are probably 15 or 20 racers in Texas that cross over between NASA and SCCA on a regular basis. For most of us, this tire change is going to mean picking one or the other. That is NOT good for the series, and not what I want to see happen.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30

Keith - I am working with Jim Pantas on something for the Southeast Region. I will be reaching out to the NASA-SE SM participants in the coming days to get your feedback on some ideas we are kicking around.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

+1 on this.

It is going to cost me about $3400 for another 2 sets of dry Hoosiers and wheels as well as 1 set of Hoosier rains and wheels. It is also not about the initial cost, but making full use out of the tires. Both groups running the same tires makes this much easier. There are probably 15 or 20 racers in Texas that cross over between NASA and SCCA on a regular basis. For most of us, this tire change is going to mean picking one or the other. That is NOT good for the series, and not what I want to see happen.

++1 "For most of us, this tire change is going to mean picking SCCA or NASA. That is NOT good for the series"
Sad to say I doubt either org will change their 2012 tire rules and with many divisions running Rationals, I'd predict most SCCA divisions will require Hoosier for Regional. (Kinda of reminds me of CART vs IRL split, that worked out great didn't it?)

And not that I have to worry about contingency $, but those who do... I doubt Toyo will pay you Toyo bucks with Hoosier decals on your car and vice versa

Don't get me wrong, nothing against Hoosier tires. Based on the response, appears it would save a mid-pack guy like me some $$$ on my tire bill, but it will make it too costly run SCCA and NASA and that is sad.

Toby Linder