Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Here is my go at the championship....anyone else want to show their experience?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Charlie,

One thing I as curious about was how the weather hit. It seemed to come right as the green flag flew. Was it a cloudburst type deal or did anyone check the weather radar and notice if a front was quickly approaching?

I would have thought if it was the later (front approaching) someone might have gambled and went with intermediates with hopes rain was coming. For example, Nate drove a great race, but I was wondering if he went out with a little more meat on his tires than others.

Just curious if anyone rolled the dice knowing the forcast for the day.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
It looked as if was going to be a dry race or sprinkles here and there, which would have not needed more meat on the tires. The sprinkles turned to big rain drops on the out lap and the rest is history. I didn't check anyones tire setup but someone may let us know?

The fast laps were in the 56's, I believe I ran a 58 on lap 1 and never beat it. I did not check data to see if I was close to that or not later in the race. Nate ran his fast lap on lap 13 which from the sidelines on turn 11 looked to be forming a slight dry line.

All in all great experience and easily the icing on my cake for my rookie year of racing. I will be back next year and I plan to finish the race. ;)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

gsparks

gsparks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:12
It really looked like it would be a dry race, no rain was showing nearby on the weather radar.
We were on completely slick tires. I believe at the time it would have been a big gamble to do otherwise.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
when you got hit in the braking zone at 7 at (10:31) was that accidental or intentional if you know. Looked like he hit you pretty hard would think he just underestimated there, good save at that point.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
He was locked up and was sliding. My boss was telling me on the radio he was going to hit me so I was kinda prepared.

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11
xxx

Edited by trimless, 09-13-2011 01:35 PM.

G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

That was me in the white #11 and no it was completely unintentional, sorry Charlie. We have not had a rain race in Texas for over 8 months so it was a steep learning curve. I flew off the track into China beach at the same braking point soon after and that was unintentional also :rolleyes:

G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Yeah no harm no foul. It's all a part of it.

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Damn, Charlie!!! I saw the video was only 17 minutes or so in length so I knew it wasn't going to end well... but you were doing SO GOOD!!! Looks like you learned a lot in some tough qualifying races and really kept your nose clean through those first few crazy laps in the Championship race. I'm so happy that you got up to (4th? 5th?) and showed what you've got. Some really great close racing in changing conditions. So sorry it ended the way it did - you had such a great run going.

How bad is the damage? Looked like a pretty solid hit.

In any event, I'm proud of you. You really kept it together and were really putting it together in that final race!

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Nsparks

Nsparks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Number:#12

I would have thought if it was the later (front approaching) someone might have gambled and went with intermediates with hopes rain was coming. For example, Nate drove a great race, but I was wondering if he went out with a little more meat on his tires than others.

Hey James. I don't think anyone went out on a "intermediate" tire. Some may have been on a meatier dry tire but I saw no rain tires. I did not expect it to rain at all but sure enough it started to sprinkle on the out lap. Mid Ohio likes very slick tires so that's what I was on, no thread left at all and man it was like driving on ice!

Look for my video sometime tomorrow.

Nate Sparks 

2016 Global Mazda Invitational Champion

2016 MX-5 Cup Champion

2011 NASA SM National Champion
2010 13 Hour Winner
2009-2011 TMC East Coast Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Hey James. I don't think anyone went out on a "intermediate" tire. Some may have been on a meatier dry tire but I saw no rain tires. I did not expect it to rain at all but sure enough it started to sprinkle on the out lap. Mid Ohio likes very slick tires so that's what I was on, no thread left at all and man it was like driving on ice!

Look for my video sometime tomorrow.

Nate,
Great job and congrats on the win. Impressive driving from what I could see on the internet broadcast. Tough conditions and those were no slouches behind you.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA