FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Believe it or not, i have been lucky enough to have a decent cash of the old RA-1 tires two years old and my 3 sets are going to get me to the end of this year and may have a few baldies for next year, but In NASA anyway I will be forced to buy the New RA-1. I have not ran this tire but several people have told me that they are crap and that the compound has changed. What can I expect from this tire and is the shaving to 2 or 3 /32nd what is still recommended? Any other recommendations to make them last longer or work better.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
Who is forcing you to buy new RA1s? ;)

I've heard the compound is different too, but have not personally experienced it. I bought 1 set of 3/32 RA1s earlier this summer. I have not had any graining or premature wear. Then again I may not be fast enough for these to occur.

-Denny
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Who is forcing you to buy new RA1s? ;)

I've heard the compound is different too, but have not personally experienced it. I bought 1 set of 3/32 RA1s earlier this summer. I have not had any graining or premature wear. Then again I may not be fast enough for these to occur.

-Denny

NO one is forcing me to buy new ones but the old ones are going to be done soon, so i will need replacements

Did you look at the date code to be sure the were not the good old ones?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
I am NOT sure that its the compound - I believe its the freshness of the tires.

I think that most tires come off the presses, get shipped overseas and accumulate time in warehouses, before shipping out to customers. I have no idea what stock-turn is in the tire industry, but I beleive that the post-Tsunami RA-1's were shipped and went straight to the track, and might not have had time to cure properly

My worst experience was at the MSR-H Double National 1st weekend in August. I took two sets of 3/32" fresh RA-1s for the 3 day weekend (5 test sessions, two qualifiers and two races). By the end of the 2nd test session both my left hand tires were to the cord - TWO SESSIONS.

Admittedly it was my first time at the track and we may have been way off on the setup, and I could have been attacking the track (which is aggressive on tires), but I have been to many tracks for the first time and I have NEVER corded NEW tires in 2 sessions.

By the time Race 2 came around I was scrounging take-off tires from John Phillip's drivers, and my race pace was way off my qualifying time.

I think the situation with RA-1's might have stabilized a bit now - tires have been in the warehouses for another 2 months post Tsunami.

I am interested to hear what others have experienced.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I think that most tires come off the presses, get shipped overseas and accumulate time in warehouses, before shipping out to customers. I have no idea what stock-turn is in the tire industry, but I beleive that the post-Tsunami RA-1's were shipped and went straight to the track, and might not have had time to cure properly

My worst experience was at the MSR-H Double National 1st weekend in August. I took two sets of 3/32" fresh RA-1s for the 3 day weekend (5 test sessions, two qualifiers and two races). By the end of the 2nd test session both my left hand tires were to the cord - TWO SESSIONS.

Admittedly it was my first time at the track and we may have been way off on the setup, and I could have been attacking the track (which is aggressive on tires), but I have been to many tracks for the first time and I have NEVER corded NEW tires in 2 sessions.

By the time Race 2 came around I was scrounging take-off tires from John Phillip's drivers, and my race pace was way off my qualifying time.

I think the situation with RA-1's might have stabilized a bit now - tires have been in the warehouses for another 2 months post Tsunami.

I've seen much poorer wear on recently purchased tires at 3 different tracks. I spoke to a "tire guy" who I believe is in the know and he mentioned as did you that tires need time to cure. He said the tires needed 6 months or more from date of producton to be well cured. I started using our kart durometer recently on the Toyos and based on what I see from that along with how the rubber looks after a couple cycles, I'm very suspicious of a compound change. Based on the dates of tires I have, if there was a compound change I believe it happended in late 2010.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:99
Most of the guys running RA-1's with dates after mid-summer had issues at the NASA-nationals last week. I saw at least 5 sets that grained so badly after one session they were unusable. Mid-Ohio is famous for "older tires are better" but this was ridiculous. A podium finisher lost 2 seconds on brand new 3/32 tires..... A pro driver went out on 1/32 shaved tires and had to scrap them after one 15 minute session.

My 4 year old track shaved tires lasted the whole weekend. Now I am admittedly 2 seconds slower than the fastest guys and maybe that's why.... but I did finish on those tires (no stripes showing) in the rain in P16....

With SCCA going to Hoosiers I seriously am worried about the quality of the new tires.

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
+1 they wear out quick.

I heard they used to do a post heat cycle so we didn't have to.
I heard they skipped that for a while to get them out the door ot us after the earthquake.

So you may want to treat them like a hoosier and see.
I put a heat cycle on a new set 3/32 Thursday afternoon test and ran them for Saturday afternoon Qual and Sunday race. They look better.

Will see.
YMMV
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

juliancates

juliancates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Region:NASA MA/SE
  • Car Number:73

Interesting theory, but here are a couple of additional data points for your consideration. The tsunami was in March of 2011. There were reports of issues with the RA-1's prior to that. The first I recall hearing of it was in February in this NASA thread:

http://nasaforums.co...php?f=9&t=39911
Posted Image
2010 NASA Midwest GTS2 Runner-Up
2011 The SM Saga Begins

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68
I heard from our local tire guy that the RA-1s were going to be manufactured in China. I can't imagine that the consistency would remain the same. Our first race with the "new" RA-1s were at Infineon, and while one driver in our team experienced premature cording the others just seem to wear a bit quicker. IMHO, I'm with Danny on the "freshness" theory, but can't help to think that changes in manufacturing facility with different labor has something to do with it.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TreadZone

TreadZone

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Production has not moved to China!!! Toyo does have tire manufacturing plants in China but the porduce street tires. All of the RA1's are made in Japan. One of the digits in the beginning of the DOT is a code for the manufacturing plant (sorry I forget which one) and they have not changed.
We sell street tires from OTHER manufactures that produce the same tire in different places and they have different part numbers depending where they are made.
Joe
TreadZone
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!
Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
I got great performance out of my RA-1's at the ARRC and this weekend at the SCCA regional at Texas World Speedway. The Whoosiers on the other hand.... :frustrated:
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Speaking to Toyo this past week, the above statement might be very close to the truth.....

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users