pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA
September 28, 2011 - New Recertification Requirement for SFI 38.1 Head and Neck Restraint Devices

A recent SFI Specification revision now requires that Head and Neck Restraint Devices which are certified to SFI Specification 38.1 be inspected and recertified every five (5) years, effective January 1, 2012. Any existing certified device with an SFI 38.1 conformance label must be sent back to the original manufacturer for inspection after five (5) years from the date of manufacture punched out on the label. Product inspection, maintenance, and/or replacement procedure will be per individual manufacturer. Inspection must be done by the original manufacturer only, and not their authorized resellers or dealers.

When a device is determined by the original manufacturer to be acceptable for continued use, that manufacturer will affix a new SFI 38.1 conformance label marked with the inspection date and it will be valid for use for another five (5) years from that date.

Sanctioning Bodies requiring 38.1 devices will begin enforcing the five (5) year recertification rule as of January 1, 2012.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59
I have no problem with SCCA and NASA requiring a 38.1 approved device, I have been using one since I started racing. That said, It's not very cool to require the 5 year recert so closely before they become required. I would imagine that Hans is going to be slammed trying to turn the devices around.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Have you seen this?
http://mazdaracers.c...t=0
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Have you seen this?
http://mazdaracers.c...t=0
J~

yup but i fail to see the correlation. that thread has to do with having proper stickers,this thread has to do with the fact that your SFI H&N restraint NOW has to be recertified every five years.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

yup but i fail to see the correlation. that thread has to do with having proper stickers,this thread has to do with the fact that your SFI H&N restraint NOW has to be recertified every five years.

Just showing the case of a hard set rule turning to flux.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40
HANS claims two day turn-around, hope they are ready! (and $15)
SFI Retrocertification Program

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
It's for your safety, maybe they found something.
You don't want to be safe?

No dog in this fight yet. Mine's only 3 years old.
J~

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
i'd bet most devices will need tethers or something else. i doubt HANS will do anything for just $15.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
A little :offtopic:

Do we have any rules that say if we total our car we need to our gear recerted?
J~

davearm

davearm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:66
Well since I use a Defendr, and they are now defunct, I cannot send it back for recertification. Guess that means I will need to buy a Hans.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

How about this...
If the translucent VOID doesn't get you, the SFI will!!!
J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Well since I use a Defendr, and they are now defunct, I cannot send it back for recertification. Guess that means I will need to buy a Hans.

I own an Issac & just procured a SFI stickered Defnder. Neither the Issac or the Defnder require a lateral load reduction devise as does the HANS (Halo seat for equal lateral load reduction). We'll see if the last sentence of the SCCA letter dated August, 2011 below has any meaning. The SFI friends :rolleyes: of the SCCA change the rules after the SCCA letter.

This SFI VOID stuff Dean & Jim are talking about is very interesting. Did the SCCA even know about this SFI decertifying feature. :noidea:

"However, any devices still in the field or at retail outlets that have SFI 38.1 stickers on them were properly tested and certified at the time. The certifications for those devices remain valid."

SCCA letter copied from the SFI site.

August, 2011
August 19, 2011 - Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Club Racing recently sent out an email reminding its membership that beginning January 1, 2012, Head and Neck Restraint Devices meeting SFI Spec 38.1 will become mandatory in Club Racing Regional, National and Driver School events. In December 2009, the SCCA Board of Directors approved the motion to require a device meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 specifications, and the announcement appeared in the January 2010 issue of the SCCA publication Fastrack ® News.
The SCCA requirement specifically states in the rulebook, “As of 1/1/12, head and neck restraints meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 will be required.” The above mentioned email sent out by SCCA also went on to list certified devices which meet SFI 38.1 such as products currently produced by HANS and Safety Solutions.
SFI would like to add that there are also products from other manufacturers such as DefNder and Leatt Brace that were previously certified and labeled as meeting SFI 38.1. They are not currently listed on the SFI website because they are no longer in new production. However, any devices still in the field or at retail outlets that have SFI 38.1 stickers on them were properly tested and certified at the time. The certifications for those devices remain valid.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

How about this...
If the translucent VOID doesn't get you, the SFI will!!!
J~

i gotcha johnny

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I own an Issac & just procured a SFI stickered Defnder. Neither the Issac or the Defnder require a lateral load reduction devise as does the HANS (Halo seat for equal lateral load reduction). We'll see if the last sentence of the SCCA letter dated August, 2011 below has any meaning. The SFI friends :rolleyes: of the SCCA change the rules after the SCCA letter.

This SFI VOID stuff Dean & Jim are talking about is very interesting. Did the SCCA even know about this SFI decertifing feature. :noidea:

"However, any devices still in the field or at retail outlets that have SFI 38.1 stickers on them were properly tested and certified at the time. The certifications for those devices remain valid."

SCCA letter copied from the SFI site.

August, 2011
August 19, 2011 - Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Club Racing recently sent out an email reminding its membership that beginning January 1, 2012, Head and Neck Restraint Devices meeting SFI Spec 38.1 will become mandatory in Club Racing Regional, National and Driver School events. In December 2009, the SCCA Board of Directors approved the motion to require a device meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 specifications, and the announcement appeared in the January 2010 issue of the SCCA publication Fastrack ® News.
The SCCA requirement specifically states in the rulebook, “As of 1/1/12, head and neck restraints meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 will be required.” The above mentioned email sent out by SCCA also went on to list certified devices which meet SFI 38.1 such as products currently produced by HANS and Safety Solutions.
SFI would like to add that there are also products from other manufacturers such as DefNder and Leatt Brace that were previously certified and labeled as meeting SFI 38.1. They are not currently listed on the SFI website because they are no longer in new production. However, any devices still in the field or at retail outlets that have SFI 38.1 stickers on them were properly tested and certified at the time. The certifications for those devices remain valid.

sure their certification is good until they're 5 years old but who recertifies them after that. HANS did everything they could to monopolize the market and this rule is one step further.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)
For once, I'd like to see some hard data (i.e., science-based), that proves why a recert is required every 5 years for a HANS. This also applies to the two-year life-span for SFI-cert harnesses.

In any case, I'll have to check to see if my HANS also has the FIA cert sticker.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

For once, I'd like to see some hard data (i.e., science-based), that proves why a recert is required every 5 years for a HANS.

I was thinking the same thing Mike. I can understand the harnesses. From what I've read, belt failures do start to occur at the loads seen in the SFI tests. Unless someone abuses the hell out of their HNR, I can't see how 5 years is justified.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137
can i just buy new stickers from Impact?

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I'd like to know why my g-force camlock belts are only good for two years if i get the pull up belts(SFI) but 5 years if i get the pull down (FIA) ??SAME BELTS I'll tell you why because SFI is in the extortion business. plain and simple. they do no testing on any of these products all they do is sell stickers.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Steve it sounds like your beef is with the sanctioning bodies and not SFI. SCCA can choose to use FIA or even no cert at all.

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
at this point I have problems with both

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

0 user(s) are reading this topic