Photo

What pressures to run using RA-1's at an autocross?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
I'm running an autocross this weekend in my '99 street miata. Rather than using crappy street tires, I'm going to use my old and crappy RA1s. Any ideas on what pressures to run?

TIA

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

I'm running an autocross this weekend in my '99 street miata. Rather than using crappy street tires, I'm going to use my old and crappy RA1s. Any ideas on what pressures to run?

TIA

I would bump them up close to your normal 36-40 pressure. Mark the side walls w shoe polish and keep bleeding down to 36-40. Gota believe they will SUK as autox tires, but who knows. Good Luck

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

I would bump them up close to your normal 36-40 pressure. Mark the side walls w shoe polish and keep bleeding down to 36-40. Gota believe they will SUK as autox tires, but who knows. Good Luck

Why? Won't get hot fast enough?

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
Correct. It takes at least a lap, or two to bring up the pressures to where you want them. That's on a race track. No way you get the pressures up on a solo run. Of course, if you have tire warmers, set to the perfect temp, just have your crew pull the blankets off just before you go.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
Well, I ran them and they were better than running all seasons. :)

But we really bumped up the cold pressures to 38psi. And they got to 40-41 where they were gripping pretty good. Good thing we're going to Hoosiers b/c these Toyos are now all flat spotted from too many spins.

Biggest lesson learned: I've always had trouble getting my tires hot enough in club racing. Not driving fast enough/hard enough. What I'm inclined to now do is run them at much higher temps to ensure that I'm in the zone. And when my driving catches up and starts to overheat them, back off.

That may sound obvious, but the reality is that I usually get my cold pressures from my fast friends and that just isn't working for me. It took an autocross to get that through my thick head.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Well, I ran them and they were better than running all seasons. :)

But we really bumped up the cold pressures to 38psi. And they got to 40-41 where they were gripping pretty good. Good thing we're going to Hoosiers b/c these Toyos are now all flat spotted from too many spins.

Biggest lesson learned: I've always had trouble getting my tires hot enough in club racing. Not driving fast enough/hard enough. What I'm inclined to now do is run them at much higher temps to ensure that I'm in the zone. And when my driving catches up and starts to overheat them, back off.

That may sound obvious, but the reality is that I usually get my cold pressures from my fast friends and that just isn't working for me. It took an autocross to get that through my thick head.

Your welcome ;) Glad to hear you had fun on them

I oftin set my "slower guys" pressures 2 or 3 pounds higher to get them to the "ideal" race pressure.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Your welcome ;) Glad to hear you had fun on them

I oftin set my "slower guys" pressures 2 or 3 pounds higher to get them to the "ideal" race pressure.

Thank you! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users