13 replies to this topic

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Des Moines Valley
  • Car Year:1994
Is there a section on this forum for discussions relating to Mazdas competing in Chumpcar or LeMons?

-Chris

Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Is there a section on this forum for discussions relating to Mazdas competing in Chumpcar or LeMons?

-Chris

Is that a once per year special event(s) ? Any idea how many Mazdas have particiated in the past ?

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Is that a once per year special event(s) ? Any idea how many Mazdas have particiated in the past ?

Those are run at several events over the year. They don't have make specific classes. They're low budget whatchabrung series with some entertainment/managed competition elements.

http://chumpcar.com/

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
I don't have statistics on the exact number of Mazdas that have competed, but they're certainly not uncommon. The first gen RX-7's and Miatas are popular. Occasionally a Protege or 626 will make an appearance.

For the team that I'm on at least, this is not a once-a-year lark. We're planning 4 race weekends with Chumpcar in 2011. Other teams look to be planning similar schedules. The costs of fielding a car are high enough (same safety gear as IT or SM) that most folks don't build them for just one outing.

Hopefully discussion would cover initial car builds, durability issues, and (very) low-cost performance modifications. Admittedly the competition level isn't as high as other forms of racing and there's some tongue-in-cheek entertainment elements (less so in Chumpcar than Lemons).

Edit: Perhaps the "Pit Lane" is a more appropriate venue vs. any special forum section.

Edited by forestdweller37, 01-03-2011 11:03 PM.

George Willet

George Willet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:ProAutoSports
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:38
I have been involved in starting a low cost Miata class at ProAutoSports (road racing division of ASA) here in the Phoenix area. It is called Street Stock Miata (SSM) and is basically a stock 1991 thru 1998 car with safety equiptment (IE: roll cage, fire extinguisher, etc) and run on stock rims and spec tires to promote equality.

I will try to attach the one page rules here, but if I am not succesful you can check out proautosports.com, and loook for SSM rules, or email me at willet@q.com and ask for the SSM rules.

George Willet, Casa Grande, AZ

PROAUTOSPORTS RACE CAR RULES FOR STREET STOCK MIATA
(Rev09/01/2010)
RACE GROUP: White
RULE SET: SSM
CLASS NAME: Street Stock Miata (SSM)
The purpose of the Street Stock Class is to provide a safe, low cost, near street legal, entry level race car for member’s participation in the racing events Sanctioned by ASA.
These race cars and drivers must meet or exceed the rules in the GENERAL COMPETITION RULES (GCR ) for proper preparation and safety. See section on driver and race car safety.
The SSM class is for 1989-1998 non turbo Mazda Miata models NA and NB. The race car must remain stock and be street legal except for the explicit following items: NO OTHER CHANGES ARE LEGAL.
1. Updating and backdating of parts is allowed within the 1989-1993 1.6L cars and within the 1994-1998 1.8L cars. It is not allowed between 1.8L and 1.6L cars.
2. Input to the stock air filter box and air filter element may be changed.
3. Unleaded street fuel or unleaded track fuel 100 octane or lower must be used.
4. Any spring rates and single or non adjustable shock absorbers may be used as long as their form factor remains stock. Bump stops may be changed.
5. A cat back exhaust system or aftermarket muffler may be used.
6. Miata 5.5” X 14” stock wheels with Spec Tire 205-50-Nitto NT-01 must be used.
7. Any brake fluid and brake pads may be used.
8. Any anti roll bars may be used as long as they match the stock form factor.
9. Alignment specs are free. Minimum Ride Height 4” at rocker panel pinch weld.
10. 4.3 ratio rear differentials from 1999-2003 may be used in 1989-1993 1.6L cars.
11. Removal allowed: carpeting, door panels, bracing within the door, door glass & mechanisms except for door handles, air conditioning equipment in engine compartment. Interior and exterior door handles must work. Sharp edges covered.
12. Minimum weight with driver for 1989-1993 1.6L cars is 2,285 lb. For 1994-1998 1.8L cars is 2,375 lb. Weight in the amount of 150 lbs must be added to all 1994-98 1.8L cars. It shall be in the form of a lead bars securely bolted to the floorboard on passenger side of car.

Note: No other changes may be made unless they are listed above. For example, engines, engine management systems, transmissions, diff ratios, body and suspension parts must remain stock including pickup points and bushings. Stock means 1.6L cars must have parts of the years 1989-1993 and 1.8L cars must have parts of the years 1994-1998.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Miata's are very popular in Chump Car, because they're very reliable in long races, great handling, and lots of Miata racers around with lot's of "free" parts to turn a battered ex-race car or a street car pulled from a swamp into a nice low budget racer.

Be forewarned, due to many people very irritated with having several POS Miatas at the top of the field (piloted by SM drivers) apparently the rules have changed resulting in lots of penalty laps for having a very drivable car. For those who have seen the Chump Shark, it was retired from Chump Car for that reason.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
I remember reading about the big miata flare-up last season. I wasn't there so I reserve all judgment as to what happened. These days there's more ire in Chumpcar over E36 BMW's than anything else, but people are still planning to run them.

They've cleaned up the rules a bit for this season. They no longer have provisions to claim cars. They just assign penalty laps or, in an extreme case, disqualify an entry. The valuation process for the cars and performance parts (home-made or professionally built) is clearer too. I think they had to do this because the racers wanted clarity in the rules and multiple independent persons are going to be doing the tech work this year. There's still a healthy amount of subjectivity to the rules, which is probably necessary to prevent folks from building to the expensive nth degree.

And the rules have now stated that a Miata is a $500 car.

-Chris

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Number:47
We ran the lemons series in December 2010 at Buttonwillow. We used this experience to slowly build a spec miata, while still racing it. The key is to not due to much to the car to anger the organizers. If you show up to these events with a spec miata they will penalize you. If you show up with a stock suspension tired Miata with a Spec Miata cage you will have no problems.

Chumpcar will allow you to run a spec miata in a special class for exempt cars for 2 races to allow you to try the series....if you like the series after 2 races they require you to build a $500 dollar car.

I suggest having a forum for this. At Buttonwillow between 10-20 Mazdas were in the 162 car field.

My kids got 4 hours of track time each over 2 days. I am already thinking about building a specific crap can car to build.

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

PJ Losey

PJ Losey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
This now has its own category under the
or direct link http://mazdaracers.c...humpcar-lemons/

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Number:47

This now has its own category under the

or direct link http://mazdaracers.c...humpcar-lemons/

Thanks PJ

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes.

Thank you.

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)
I agree with Keith, the Miata is a great car for races like these.

If I were to build a Lemons/Chump car, I'd definitely go with a 4 cylinder Japanese car like a Miata, Civic, Sentra, etc. These races are more about reliability and durability than speed.

Ratty old British sportscars do not make good Lemons/Chumpcars. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
I'm no chump expert, but as desirable as it would be to run a Miata in Lemons type racing, it is my understanding you can not spend more than $500 to buy the damn thing. Pretty tough to do IMO. At least one that has 4 wheels and an engine....perhaps you Chumps could put a road map if you will, of what you have to do to make a Miata the queen of the ball in a chump/lemons grid! And let's just assume for grins and giggles, that everything that needs to be done, labor wise, can be done for free! Inquiring minds want to know.....:unsure:

Bill

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Protech Racing

Protech Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I have a Chumpcar VW and an SM. The 1.6 Miata is considered a valid 500$ car. The 1.8 is not and should incur some laps. If you bring a stock 1.6, with cut stock springs,you should be fine. I also dont really think that any Miata is a 500$ car. Esp since I have sold two solid , non runners, for 1000$ each. If I did , I would have built one..
In reality, the speed of the Chumpcars has gotten to be right around ITB lap times or faster, on DOT treadwear 200tires, this is pretty fast. V6 Imports, IE,Probe, E 30 and E 36 BMW, are the fastest, taking some of the heat away from the Miata.

http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

mogren@tampabay.rr.com, 352.428/8983

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users