Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Wow! Awesome race. Those are some hella racecars!

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
maybe a link??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
The series will come to Austin in 2013. They've started showing the series on Speed weekend after it happens. Bathhurst was rare because it's live. First for the US.

Speed will be replaying a couple of times this week. Here is some vid...

http://www.speedtv.c...9943001/1#_vtop

Here is a race recap. Mt Panorama requires large attachments... as Hobbo would say.

http://www.speedtv.c...7299001/1#_vtop

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30
Austin? What will they race? Same as the F1 track, or an unrelated venue?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Yes. Circuit of Americas. The new f1 track. That should be way better than the prissy f1.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

_Q_

_Q_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Awesome race...awesome track...and to top it off it comes down to bumper to bumper final laps for the lead...a must watch!
"TALENT IS OFTEN PERSEVERANCE IN DISGUISE"

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
One helluva track - no room for error. Walls on either side of the racing surface, and great elevation changes - a real drivers track. Drove around the track twice during a weekday two years ago, regular streets on the mountain side

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

One helluva track - no room for error. Walls on either side of the racing surface, and great elevation changes - a real drivers track. Drove around the track twice during a weekday two years ago, regular streets on the mountain side

Danny...first your day "job", and now you tell us you've driven bathurst? I'm trying not to hold these things against you...

-tch

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
Tom - note - driven around the track in my rental car on a regular day. (not raced). I suppose that there are some benefits to the crappy life of living out of a suitcase, being in a different hotel room every night, spending most of your life packing and unpacking. Really enjoying being back in Fort Lauderdale for a few weeks.

Told my wife after watching the Bathurst race that there are two things on my bucket list :-

1. race at Bathurst, and
2. go wingsuit flying

Not sure that I will be able to do either, but you have to have some dreams to keep you going

I really got hooked on the idea of wingsuit flying in the early days when this video surfaced

but the sport has evolved so much with the development of the foil wings, that this is what they are doing now
http://www.vimeo.com/30194013 - you gotta click through to Vimeo and watch this full screen

So much more of a thrill than my skydiving days at Lanseria way back in my youth.

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Bathurst is on my bucket list for sure. I am really excited SPEED is picking up the series, or it seem like it? Was so awesome to watch the race LIVE and in HD! Can not wait for the Gold Coast in a few weeks.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Danny-

"Only" driving around bathurst in a rent-car, is like "having to" live out of suitcase while traveling to exotic places and photgraphing mostly nekid girls.

:weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

I'm sure it "sucks", but so does working at a defense contractor.

-tch

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Tom - note - driven around the track in my rental car on a regular day. (not raced). I suppose that there are some benefits to the crappy life of living out of a suitcase, being in a different hotel room every night, spending most of your life packing and unpacking. Really enjoying being back in Fort Lauderdale for a few weeks.

It does get old. Try doing it in a rolling submarine with 8-12 of your closest "buddies". ;) I did it for the better part of 30 years until I said uncle and "retired" to a house gig and got more race vehicles than I have space to store or time to work on let alone race. But it beats not being home for months at a time. Though I did get to see most of the planet. And drive a BWM rental car around the full Nordschleife. Didn't realize Mt Panorama was on public roads.

_Q_

_Q_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=O001Ai4zZPc

Hope that link works ok...

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
What a great race that was... very gentlemanly, even.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
I liked the race, but I cringed a bit at our NASCAR commentators making comments about the co-drivers, and the brake tapping - he has not idea what pad knock-back is over the rumble strips. Personally I would have liked a sports car commentator to call the race, but with Speed and the Ambrose connection I am not sure that will happen. When I travel I normally get to watch the Aussie V8's on Sky and the commentary is awesome

And yes, Kent, very clean race (but not always like this), especially on the last lap. Lowndes didnt have the pass, and he knew it and let Tander get the win. Class Act

Danny

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Watched the whole race. Unbelievable and to have the race decided after over 6 hours of racing by .2 seconds was incredible!! A fantastic series and have enjoyed it every time I have seen it on TV...simply the best racing in the world IMO,
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
Joy and DW are hosting Gold Coast live on Speed on Oct 22. Gold Coast will have Bourdais, Castroneves, Wheldon, Power, Briscoe and Kanaan are scheduled to be co-drivers.

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Number:17
justin.tv/v8_supercars_paradise shows the races live with the Australian commentators, didn't have to listen to DW once :D
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Didn't realize Mt Panorama was on public roads.

First time watching these very special Aussie V8 drivers doing their thing. All I can say is, WOW...... Was doing a regional race at the Farm, at motel, flipping channels & there was Mike Joy & DW doing their thing, but the wrong cars. Shortly they were going to show a pit stop changing pads at all four corners in the same amount of time it takes to fuel the car. Very busy day at track and fell ah sleep before the pad change. Can skip the track time, I'd like to look at the cars close up. Danny, do you need a bag handler for ONE trip?

The back story on financing the Mt. Panorama TOURIST ROAD is very interesting. This dude went to the government requesting $$$ for a tourist road telling nothing of the plan for the road to be a road racing course. At completion the road serves both functions. Got-Cha
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

_Q_

_Q_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
OK link is working now:

• Caveman-kwebb99 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users