• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Goodname4id

Goodname4id

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Southwest
I am a newbie that has been racing in Europe and am considering driving in Spec Miata next year.

I have only raced in right drive cars and will continue to race right drive cars in the future.

Are Right Drive cars legal to race in Spec Miata???

Does anyone currectly race a Right Drive car in the series???

Thanks,
Lee

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Not sure about the legality (maybe somone else can post here), but I can tell you as someone that grew up driving right hand drive cars, that the switch from shifting with your left hand to shifting with your right hand is incredibly intuitive, and will happen very easily. It's not something to worry about at all. Just sit in the car and do it. Dont even have to think about it.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63
I am almost certain that the rule over here is "US Spec cars and parts only". So no right hand drive cars.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00
As an owner of a Eunos Roadster (rhd miata) that I drive on the street, I can tell you that the 2-3 upshift is much easier. BUT our rules require a US version with the steering wheel on the wrong side....not the right....

Just like Danny replied, only in reverse so to speak. it was very easy to drive sitting on the right while i have grown up driving on the left my whole life.

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM
The few times I've driven a right-hander in Europe, it does not come natural for me. I have to concentrate on my shift pattern and my coordination is off. But then I can't swing a baseball bat or golf clubs the opposite way with any coordination either.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Goodname4id

Goodname4id

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Southwest
Thanks for the replies. Seems RHD not allowed.

I actually grew up in Missippi driving on the left side of the car and have only been driving on the right side of the car for the past few years.

I have only ever raced while sitting on the right side of the car, shifting with my left hand, and never missed a shift.

I will just try racing a left drive car and become an ambidextrius race car driver!!! I have also only raced mid engined cars so getting adjusted to a front engined car will be more difficult than the LHD system.

Cheers,
Lee

DHois

DHois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:15
At least in a race prep'd car there is no armrest to rip off while trying a 2-3 shift!

Bruce McNutt

Bruce McNutt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Atlantic
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:25
Hi Lee,

As a long time racer (and street driver) in Canada, I have had the opportunity to drive both L&R positions. Our Government allows us to import RHD cars from Japan & England once they reach 15 years old. Canada is full of RHD cars. I've had a couple of them including a CRX VT from Southhampton that I imported here in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The biggest issue that I have had driving RHD cars on the street was trying to pass the car ahead of me as I would be in the driving position along the shoulder. This of course isn't an issue on the track. The other problem was going thru the drive-through windows. I found the transition very easy. Actually my shifting became much better and smoother as I paid more attention shifting the car. You will be fine with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users