Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
Is back welding wheel studs (hardened in this case) on the back of a hub (rear in this case) ever a proper procedure?
Would this change the strength or ductility of the metal?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
What are you trying to accomplish?

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Welding hardened steel requires more attention than with mild steel. It will effect the material and will need to be treated after welding to ensure it doesn't weaken. It's a Varsity job. You'd need to use something like Eureka Marweld 250, DC TIG straight polarity, 100% argon. Likely to fubar it long term if you did MIG with something like ER70-S2.

I would (and did) go with press fit. Notwithstanding the complexities of welding hardened steels, the SM rules don't allow for that mod even for damage repair as it's not a recommended repair per the FSM.

To echo Jim, what are you trying to achieve?

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Took a light nudge on the LR wheel early in the enduro this weekend (not my car). Rubber to wheel only. About and hour later co-driver came in with wheel coming off. All 4 hardened studs had broken. Examination revealed that studs had been back welded. Each broke just below the flange. Seemed to me that welding hardened steel would make it more brittle unless it was heat treated again. But I'm no metallurgist. Wondering if back welding is done by others (if so, for what purpose) or if the original owner of this hub just had no clue.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
The properties of metal are changed by welding even if the material isn't hardened. The extent depends on the material, filler and to a lessor degree, the process. It's possible (and very likely) that welding the material made it more brittle. In fact it's not uncommon. If he welded it without regard for the material or filler it could have compromised the part.

On edit: if you want to get your fabricator geek on here is a piece about the effects of welding on steel...

http://www.thefabric...ngthening-steel

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Seemed to me that welding hardened steel would make it more brittle unless it was heat treated again. But I'm no metallurgist.

Bingo. Can't say for sure that they broke after being welded because of the random local heat treatment, but it seems a great example why not to. I would have guessed either the lugs would become brittle at the area, or the hub could become brittle causing the holes to crack.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Probably true, but it begs my earlier question: What was the welding trying to accomplish? Why would anybody do it to begin with? Based on that issue, "clueless" gets my vote.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Probably true, but it begs my earlier question: What was the welding trying to accomplish? Why would anybody do it to begin with? Based on that issue, "clueless" gets my vote.

Probably the studs were coming loose. Some studs need a small chamfor to completly seat against the hub, I have seen numerous times the stud loose after loostening the wheel lugs. Have broken several as a result. In one case we had to use a plazma cutter to get the wheel off the car, KILLED the wheel!!!!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Probably true, but it begs my earlier question: What was the welding trying to accomplish? Why would anybody do it to begin with?

The only thing I can figure is that the guy screwed up the holes so that the studs wouldn't press fit tightly and decided to secure them with a weld.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Glenn, if that's the case, they bought the wrong studs. Solution is to buy the right parts.

If he'd just tacked the stud in place, it probably wouldn't bother either part. Doing a full weld puts a LOT more heat into the parts.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

The only thing I can figure is that the guy screwed up the holes so that the studs wouldn't press fit tightly and decided to secure them with a weld.

The better way to fix that if you didn't want to buy a new one would be to fill the holes that are loose and re drill/bore them. Unless you have the equipment and chops it would be cheaper (and easier) to buy salvage uprights. If you had a stick welder, angle grinder and drill press with the right sized drill it wouldn't be too difficult.

Edit: new hub @ MSM is pretty reasonable...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users