• Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

http://www.ukiahspee...tion/about.html

Do it and I'm in.
Can you leave the contact forms at home. :prayer:
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Phillip Holifield

Phillip Holifield

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:20
I would love to run an SM oval race. Maybe http://www.allamericanspeedway.com/? It would be easier to get to than Ukiah
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Jeff Lyon

Jeff Lyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:NorCal/SFR
  • Car Number:19
+1 on the oval, I bet that would bring Kevin back out as he spent many years racing the oval up at Placerville.

+1 on the standing starts after I install my Torsen in the 19 Car!!! :P

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96
I'm in for the oval! Standing start would be really good too...except I kind of like my MazdaComp diff, and there aren't many parts left...
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Ah, Roseville! Yes, I've run there...

Phil - agree that it would be easier to get to for most. Jerry has a relationship with the Ukiah folks, so I *know* we could get an invitation there and treated well. We'd have to look in to other, more local, venues, too.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Lyon

Jeff Lyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
May be a bit biased since I only live 10 miles from All American Speedway in Roseville but it is a great oval track very close to I-80.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Phil - agree that it would be easier to get to for most. Jerry has a relationship with the Ukiah folks, so I *know* we could get an invitation there and treated well. We'd have to look in to other, more local, venues, too.

Cheers,

Dean

Dirt tracks ?? :D
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
BTW - I guarantee you will NEVER forget your first start on an oval. It's pretty intense, under the lights, coming around T4 in close formation with the grandstands full. VERY cool, and something totally new for us lefty-righty guys.

We'd have to make a gentleman's agreement to not run asymmetrical oval setups, because anyone who took the time to do that would CRUSH the competition. Maybe we could do what they did in these soap races - flag the race in the middle and run the second half in the opposite direction.

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
How about this with the oval at some point, (not the karting), just the track layout and maybe some Enduro.
J~

Jeff Lyon

Jeff Lyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

BTW - I guarantee you will NEVER forget your first start on an oval. It's pretty intense, under the lights, coming around T4 in close formation with the grandstands full. VERY cool, and something totally new for us lefty-righty guys. We'd have to make a gentleman's agreement to not run asymmetrical oval setups, because anyone who took the time to do that would CRUSH the competition. Maybe we could do what they did in these soap races - flag the race in the middle and run the second half in the opposite direction.

I like the idea of running both directions even though I was just thinking about how much I could offset the rear end and get away with it. B) But it would be much better racing if we ran our normal symmetrical road course setup.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
A Main coin toss ?
B Main CCW ?
C Main CW ?
J~

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Oh man, I was thinking it would be a great crash course on setting up for an oval. (I know what you are going to say Dean) I can't tune my way out of a paper bag on a road course, so how should I expect to get an oval set up but that could be part of the challenge.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
What I was going to say, Jaime, was that you should just use your current Infineon set up and you'll probably be RIGHT ON for a banked left hand oval. ;-)
  • Jeff Lyon likes this

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Car Number:22
2012 can't come soon enough.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
That was another tough weekend. I had trouble coming to grips with setup again. After watching the videos it looks like everyone was quite loose, but man that was challenging.

Here is the first race from my view:

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
...and the second race wasn't any better for me. It was really great getting to drive with you guys. Charlie, Dan Cooper, Kyle and of course Craig were super fast and clean...excluding a couple of hits on both sides of the car that I probably deserved Charlie and Dan.

Unfortunately I tangled with a USTC and lost the battle in a big way. Here is the second race up to and including the crash:

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
Thanks for posting Jamie!

Great first race!! Really too bad about the second!!

Great to meet you and awesome racing with you!

Ill try to get my vids up ASAP!

Here's to 2012!! :toast: :guinness:

--Dan
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Wow, what a weekend! Some great racing but a couple of scary hard hits, too.

John G - so sorry to see that beautiful 99 into the wall. Glad to see you were OK and expect to see you out again at the first event.

Geri - Damn, girl! When people say "you should really fly through the esses" they don't mean that you should actually FLY through the esses! So relieved to see you walk away from what was one of the scariest wall strikes I've ever seen. We'll get your car back together over the off season, don't you worry!

Now, on to the congrats.

Kyle - you're the real deal and was happy to see you put together a pair of races where you were there at the end! Get used to the long walk up to the top step of the podium, as I think you'll get to do it a lot more next year!

Dan and Charlie - you guys had some AWESOME battles mixing it up in the top 3. I thoroughly enjoyed watching some really aggressive but CLEAN and FAIR competitive driving and passing from you guys.

Jaime - Gotta get that car figured out. You've got the speed, but you're not going to get to the front without a car you have confidence in. Sorry about that second race. Heartbreaking to go out early in a 50 minute race like that. Can I use that video for the Art of Road Racing school? :)

And last but certainly not least, our 2011 champ, Craig Evans! Even with significant car problems, he found his way into another car to BE THERE at the end and clinch the championship. This probably wasn't the weekend you envisioned to wrap up the year and the championship, but after the CLINIC you put on two weekends ago, I wouldn't worry about it. It was pretty entertaining watching you drift through T8a every single lap. You developed a nice rubbered-in groove...

Great season, drivers! We're already planning 2012 and will be doing a lot more of the longer races and mini-enduros. I'm advocating announcing those events before the season starts to try and attract more cross-over drivers from SCCA. Would be great to have a 30-40 car SM field for a 50 minute race! Start campaigning with your SCCA buddies now.

Hope to see many of you at the 25 in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Clean racing Jamie! The guy driving the #50 E30 in the 2nd race is a moron...did he miss the out of class racing meeting?? You had to be in plain view of the Mazda3 driver...what was his excuse after the fact?? Really to bad.

Kyle (Usetoknow)...Great break through young man! Love it!!

Charlie...yours will come, be patient! Kyle L was!

Dan...way to represent the other half...yours to will come also!

Craig Evans...Congratulations! Well deserved!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks Ron. I really thought I was side by side with the blue car as I committed to the second apex (I have some nice pictures that show we were real close to even half way through) but he had more speed then I did and arrived just before me, so technically (I guess) he didn't need to leave me room. It was ruled a racing incident. I was stuck out on track so long and then scrambling to find my way through the paper process that I never got to talk to the other driver...probably best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users