Deb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:312
Hello everyone.

Finally got myself a Spec Miata and brought it home this weekend! Woohoo!!

Now I need a little help. Car is a 99 and was built for a tall driver with a U shape bar behind the driver seat to create more room (I can take a picture for a better visual). I'm 5'8 and don't need that room. I'm going to install my seat, which is a Racetech 4009HR and move it up to be comfortable. However, this creates about a 14 inch gap from the seat to the rear of the U. I don't need back support for the seat, since it's still within it's time, but simply never had such a large gap from the seat to the cage.

My question for seasoned SM folks - should I be concerned or just leave it be? I can get a cage builder to put a new straight bar in to get rid of the extra room? Just trying to see what the experts think.

Thanks,
Deb

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
To me the distance back to the bar is not the concern so much as making sure you have the correct angle for your belts with the use of an approved head and neck restraint device. Most devices require a 15 to 30 degree angle on the belts but I would check what your device specifically call for. I would also consider adding some clips to make sure the belts don't move on the roll bar.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

To me the distance back to the bar is not the concern so much as making sure you have the correct angle for your belts with the use of an approved head and neck restraint device. Most devices require a 15 to 30 degree angle on the belts but I would check what your device specifically call for. I would also consider adding some clips to make sure the belts don't move on the roll bar.

Mike,

When you say 15 to 30 degrees, is this from the point in the seat where the belts go through up to the attachment points at the harness bar?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

When you say 15 to 30 degrees, is this from the point in the seat where the belts go through up to the attachment points at the harness bar?

I always thought the Schroth instructions did a good job of explaining:

http://www.schrothra...nstructions.pdf
http://www.schrothra...n_Checklist.pdf

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users