• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Sigh. I really hate having to jump back in this argument, but I see one very significant flaw in the flowchart Steve provided. It says at a critical point "Use the ACTUAL support specified by part number in the FIA list". Two questions:

1) What FIA list are you looking at that lists part numbers for for the mount? This is the official FIA list and it only says whether the mount is lateral or bottom, it doesn't list part numbers:

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/D7050711553B12ADC12575F60035B089/$FILE/L12_Approved_seats.pdf

2) Have you ever seen a seat mount from Recaro or Sparco with a part number stamped on it anywhere?

The answers, I think (but would be happy to be proved wrong!) are for #1 - they don't specify part numbers anywhere that were used for testing because the FIA testing spec (which I've read many times) doesn't request that information. The answer for #2 is that I've seen probably a dozen different seat manufacturer supplied brackets and have never seen a part number stamped on one.

My point to the CRB after probably 3 or 4 letters on seat mounting is that you can't specify things in the rules that cannot be verified by tech inspectors or competitors!!

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
One last question for Mike C as I'm contemplating building a new 99 spec miata and am wondering whether I should even bother trying to make it SCCA compliant...

If I designed a seat back brace that "captured" the seat back so that it supported it laterally and aft but didn't actually have bolts through the seat back (think a wide strap of metal that followed the contour of the back of the seat and wrapped around the sides an inch or two), would you consider that "firmly attached"? That's all that is specified in the rule. I'm looking for ANY WAY to avoid drilling through the back of a brand new $1600 Recaro seat.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BERG

BERG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Mike have you set the Sparco rails next to a set of stock ones? I have and the Sparco stuff is complete crap! Grand Am looked at the set we had in the B-spec car and made me replace them. I used Miata ones. I also have Miata rails in both of my Porsches. BTW we are talking about ataching a fiberglass seat to an aluminum "L" bracket and bolting that to a steel slider. Dosesn't take an engineering degree to know what the weakest link is.

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Was there ever a consensus reached on how to install an seat on sliders that meet the SCCA FIA rule (w/o a brace)? Has someone actually done it? What was the solution?

I noticed the Dave Wheeler's B-Spec car's seat looks like it is on a slider.

My seat is mounted on Corbeau sliders but I fabricated a telecscoping back brace that is attached to the cage. That telescoping brace consists of an outer and inner pipe through which are drilled a series of holes that correspond to the available seat positions. Once the seat is positioned where you want it, you insert a bolt through the hole in the outer tube and the corresponding innet tube hole. So moving the seat requires removing the locking bolt, moving the seat to the desired location and re-inserting the bolt.

Ironically, I've never used the feature since I've never co-driven the xcar with anyone of substantially differing height!
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year