6 replies to this topic

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1990
This was my first time out with my 1990 1.6 Miata, stock drivetrain with 160k on it, koni shocks, FM springs, 15x8 6UL wheels with 225 Hankook RS3s, gutted interior with seats/harnesses/6pt cage, and a few other odds and ends. This was my 4th DE overall, and just got solo qualified earlier in the day. The car ran absolutely great; I cant believe how well it held up for such an old, high mileage car! It was so much more fun on track than my previous car; it was literally like running a go-kart around the track. The car I was running before this was an 04 CTS-V, so I made a huge change going to the Miata.

The best time I could get was a 3:01.0. How terrible is that for Sebring? I was running mostly 3:02's and 3:03's.

Here are two videos I got; first one is me chasing an NSX around, the second is the same NSX and a Ford GT when it starts to rain, and the third video is me getting murdered by advanced drivers during Chin Motorsport's "Happy Hour" where all level drivers are on track together. I must say, it was a blast having some of those fast cars AND drivers on track with me!

Any feedback is appreciated!

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Here is the 3rd video:

Chris Fulton

Chris Fulton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:SE Region
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Spec Miata lap record is around 2:35. For your 4th time, 3.01 is not terrible. If your are going to the Chin sebring event in December come see myself or George Munson or Jim Blaisdall. we will help you go faster. We pit behind the food vendor across from the bathrooms. Look for the miatas.

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Spec Miata lap record is around 2:35. For your 4th time, 3.01 is not terrible. If your are going to the Chin sebring event in December come see myself or George Munson or Jim Blaisdall. we will help you go faster. We pit behind the food vendor across from the bathrooms. Look for the miatas.

wow, 2:35?! that's gotta be a fun ride!

I may be going to their December DE on Sunday, not 100% sure yet since thats the weekend my wife graduates from USF....

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
I made a 2:46 at the last NASA race and got 3rd place.

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
Next thing you need is a suit and hans device.

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Protech Racing

Protech Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
301 is fine for a stockish set up.
The engine is down 8-10 hp, the gearbox, rear end are undynoed, the tires are slowish, etc. There is maybe 10 sec right there. The car was driven well under the tire limit, by the sounds here and there of tire noise.

As far as your lines. All good , school lines, not early anywhere. Late apex is safe but a little slower. The school line is brake in a straight line, as you did .The racers wlil brake well past your spots, well into the turns, almost everywhere.

In the dry, try to turn the steering wheel a little quicker, but still smooth @ turn in. You still want the car on the same, large arc, as soon as possible .

T 4 needs a late apex , give away, to get to the outer edge for T5, @ T 5, keep going earlier and earlier until you run off the outside with your foot planted. The normal track out is about where you were, the gap @ the curb joint. You should nibble all of the inside curbing.

The square sections, T 10, T 13 etc all need to be very precise@ turn in. Now you are looking for little 3in square spots to hit.
The T 14-15 is really fast and fun, needing to hit well up the inside flat curbs and using all of the outer areas. The T 15 outer, limits your move to the outside turn in for T 16. Make a hard turn in from about 1 car on the concrete , full over the inside curb @ 16, needing the exit dust ,outside.
The T 17 entry, the wheel can be a little harder @ the flagger kink. More wheel will get your brake zone to the right edge of the big black stripes, thus a shorter distance around the bend. When you get it right , for your car, it is flat down up to the outer edge,as you were.
T 1 , is pretty good but looks a little slow. The inner is-2- 3ft or less from the fence.

Rain @ Sebring is my favorite. Use the concrete to start your turns, stay off of the outer paint. Drive from non shiny spot to non shiny spot.
Make sure that you have a crisis management plan that you can execute..

All in all, well done. MM

http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

mogren@tampabay.rr.com, 352.428/8983

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users