suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Man that sucks!!! I live in austin and didn't know that haha. I also really hope they don't tear down TWS! SCCA would be losing a lot of entrants cause some people look forward to races there including myself.
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
TWS being on the chopping block has been a rumor for years. One day, it will for sure happen. The College Station housing developments will approach and turning the track into a subdivision will be a financial reward that can't be turned down.

If true about the F1 track, that is a shame since it would be nice to have seen V8 Supercar and F1. But doesn't surprise me too much. Big $$, even bigger egos. If he didn't like the deal with Ecclestone before the NJ announcement, he better get ready to get bent over now if they want a race.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trey

trey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:SCCA Houston
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5
Interesting timing , let's see :

- State of Texas agrees to put up $ 25,000,000 in advance to secure race date
- Gov. Perry announces he's running for President
- Gov. Perry's primary support is from Tea Party
- State of Texas withdraws agreement to put up $ 25,000,000 in advance

Ole Gov Perry may play a dummie on TV , but you can bet the farm on him being smart enough not to invest $ 25,000,000 in taxpayer money into a Bernie Eccelstone F1 deal during the presidential primary season.

I kind of wish Perry would have let it happen , I'd pay may share of the $ 25,000,000 just to watch the media circus

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I bet it all works out and they will be racing there next year.. Lots of games at play here

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
Yep, lots of penis comparing going on...

All the C.A.V.E.s (Citizens Against Virtually Everything) are rejoicing now. I hope to see them very disappointed in a few weeks.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
McCombs is notorious for not playing nice with partners, he is one of those that thinks he has to control eveything. Early on he tried to renegotiate the land deal Hellmund had with the land owner. He had land brokers looking for a new sites for 6 months after he signed on.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
The owner of TWS has been trying to recapitalize/sell the property for over a year. He has been trying to sell shares of the tract to qualified investrors, but his offering memorandum was poorly written and gave no clue to the investor on how or what returns could be expected. The brokerage firm listing the property doesn't even know what the property is worth, much less offer a compelling reason to purchase the proeprty, I don't expect anyone to make an offer.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I bet it all works out and they will be racing there next year.. Lots of games at play here

Jim

I wouldn't count Red Mc Combs and CotA out yet. The event trust funding isn't pulled, they just won't get it until after the event. Word is Tavo Hellmund who held the F1 date tried to power play Mc Combs and Bobby Epstein, two powerful business men. Tavo had the race, but no money. I'd bet a call was made to the state and now those funds are no longer available to Hellmund. Mc Combs could easily fund the event. Rumor mill in F1 is that Hellmund had a $25 million deal a year and when Epstein approached FOM the price went up to $35 million. Mc Combs and Epstein called BS and have stopped the deal. Ecclestone would be one in a long line of people that have under estimated Red Mc Combs. He's ruthless. Ecclestone's fortune came from one thing, the sale of the commercial rights of F1 (twice) to people that overpaid and are now heavily leveraged. OTOH, Mc Combs has several diversivfied interests and terms of wide scale business saavy has much more than Ecclestone. Ecclestone doesn't like to be confronted, but he's never dealt with a hard core Texan before. Until the WMC meets in Dec I wouldn't call the date off just yet.
  • john mueller likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Several years ago, in the city where I live, a levy was put on the ballot to build a sports arena. The voters wisely said no. Guess what, private money was found and the arena was built anyway. As a side note the seats in that arena are rarely filled as the team has the worse record in the league.

Because we are passionate about racing I think we over-estimate the general interest in motorsports. The average person has no idea what F1 is, and if they think about racing at all NASCAR comes to mind.

I'll believe this event will happen when I see it - Same goes for NJ.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
I wouldn't count Red Mc Combs and CotA out yet. The event trust funding isn't pulled, they just won't get it until after the event. Word is Tavo Hellmund who held the F1 date tried to power play Mc Combs and Bobby Epstein, two powerful business men. Tavo had the race, but no money. I'd bet a call was made to the state and now those funds are no longer available to Hellmund. Mc Combs could easily fund the event. Rumor mill in F1 is that Hellmund had a $25 million deal a year and when Epstein approached FOM the price went up to $35 million. Mc Combs and Epstein called BS and have stopped the deal. Ecclestone would be one in a long line of people that have under estimated Red Mc Combs. He's ruthless. Ecclestone's fortune came from one thing, the sale of the commercial rights of F1 (twice) to people that overpaid and are now heavily leveraged. OTOH, Mc Combs has several diversivfied interests and terms of wide scale business saavy has much more than Ecclestone. Ecclestone doesn't like to be confronted, but he's never dealt with a hard core Texan before. Until the WMC meets in Dec I wouldn't call the date off just yet.

I'm no high powered businessman like McCombs but it sure seems like Eccelstone has the leverage here. F1 has no shortage of tracks or countries that want a track and a race. Circuit of the Americas has spent 40 M according to the article, that all gets flushed if the F1 contract is not delivered. It sure seems like McCombs needs Ecclestone not Ecclestone needs McCombs. If Circuit of Americas was set up as a limited partnership and McCombs/Epstein are the general partners and put in the customary 10%, they will be less likely to protect 4 million in a negotiation vs 40 million. If I was a LP in the venture, I would sure have my attorney sending love letters to the GP right about now.

The 25 million fee is a true stumbling block if the state will not committ to funding after the first race. If it isn't ever going to happen then that is a huge expense for the partnership to eat each year for 10 years, almost doubling the investment required.

Always thought the state funding anything was a bit odd, Perry is not the fiscal conservative that he proclaims to be, if there is a chance of lining his pocket post political career he will make a deal that makes no sense for the state, see the NAFTA Super Highway that started but never finished.

Personally I hope this works out.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Michael,

I thought the same thing. Eccelstone probably couldn't care less about having a race in the US. F1 has never been very popular, and he has plenty of other potential suitors willing to pony up the $$$. I am sure it's his way or the highway on this.

But, like you, I hope this track and event happens.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA