• 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
http://planetf1.com/...i-Joins-Renault

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
"Mumbles" returns.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
I wonder if he has anything left?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
You know, I have a hard time getting into F1. I watched most of the season this year, and to me it was mostly a yawn-fest. The only way to drum up drama was to ignore Red Bull and follow the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th order sub plots. The only question regarding P1 every race was really if Seb would get the lead on lap one or two. He essentially always drove away as soon as he got the lead.

I have a hard time with the absolute, crushing domination by a single driver. I can't really come to terms with a single driver who can outclass the entire field (including previous champions) by SECONDS per lap. More importantly, I can't enjoy watching a racing series like that. In motorsports, I really have sort of grown to expect a gradual fall off from P1 - Px, something like 1/2 tenth to a tenth per position. Something where the difference in positions is close enough to the noise that any variability gives Px+1 a chance to claim the spot. But, in most of the races Seb was over one second faster per lap (on every lap!). So much so, that he was able to negate the following car's one potential advantage (DRS).

I guess it will be interesting to see if Kimi can give Seb some REAL competition. That would go a long way towards making the season dramatic, and entertaining.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Tom, I think I have just the series for you - NASCAR.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Given the general use of "nascar" round these parts....I'm doubting that was intended as a particularly nice thing to say. But, yes like many (maybe most?) americans, I grew up on NASCAR and CART (okay, Daytona and Indy). But, I don't really understand your point? That F1 isn't supposed to be dramatic or entertaining? Or that wanting "close competition" for P1 is myopic? Only "dumb american motorsports" cater to the viewer? That statement could really be revised to "american sports", as every professional league has made "competition adjustments" in the last decade to attempt to mitigate dominance and sustain viewership/ratings. Some good, many bad.

My point wasn't centered around making rules changes, although there are lots of things I don't like from a pure driving point of view (DRS, KERS, traction control, automatic gear boxes...most drivers aids, really). But, rather that there doesn't seem to be the same level of effort from the other teams/drivers. Regardless of the rules package, I think we've all come to expect a sliding (generally linear) level of performance from P1 back. If these are all supposed to be the best of the best (cars, drivers, engineering teams, etc), in a "no holes barred", high innovation environment, I still have this notion that second place is almost as good as the guy in first and gives the guy in first a run for his money.

I have a hard time believing that Seb and Redbull are just, plain and simple, that much better than everyone else...and that everyone else is giving it the proverbial 110%.

But, I don't understand F1 enough to know WHY there is more variability than I expect. I have a few friends who grew up on F1 (mostly foreign nationals), and their opinion is that F1 isn't really the best-of-the-best. Its not a filtered class, that you can only get to by growing through the lower ranks until you're proven as a driver to be "one of the best" in the next lower tier (F3?). Ie, its possible and common for people to buy their way into F1. I don't know...I just started watching this year...and I'm puzzled by the apparent "lack of effort" by the teams in P2 - P10.

In every sport I've every participated in, or watched or any kind...there is almost always a close competition between each adjacent position. But, this level of dominance seems to be much more common in F1 than any other sport I can think of.

So, I guess I was thinking a response by someone my experienced with the sport might shed some light on why/how...rather than a "go watch nascar" and would be more interesting to discuss.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Road racing in general does not have 'close finishes'.

Huge disparity between what RB can spend and what HRT (for example) can spend. Kinda like Spec Miata. Nothing beats cubic dollars.

FWIW there was a bunch of promising drivers testing in F1 a couple weeks ago - next couple years could be interesting.

I predict Kimi will be the next Schumacher - now that wasn't intended to be particularly nice.

I have a hard time with the absolute, crushing domination by a single driver.

I been in races with "that guy". You know, the one that makes everyone else shake their head and say, how does he do it.

PS: Vettel really appears to be "that much better".

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Tom
I think the times were closer than you mention, especially in race trim. What Vettel does on the first few laps is incredible. If the others could get as much out of the car on laps 1-3, it would be interesting to see what happened with DRS. I'm not a Vettel fan, but you have to respect the ability and talent, he is certainly special.

As far as the other guys not trying... NASCAR rules are very tight, they want the cars as close as possible. F1 prides themselves as the number one goal of all the teams is the constructors championship, not the drivers championship. The drivers championship is more recognized by the fans, but within F1, the constructors title is king. The budgets are nearly unlimited, much of that can't be overcome. Red Bull cars have the other cars completely covered in mechanical grip, no power. Next year is completely a new year... all new cars, so we will see what shakes out.

F1 and NASCAR are very different, other than both are cars and both involve racing, just about everything else is different. I enjoyed this season in F1, I think the DRS and no fuel stops made the racing a lot more fun to watch. I also enjoy NASCAR, this season was the best I have seen. Just like watching Football and basketball for me I like both, both sports, but very different :)
  • Cnj likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Tom,

I don't think you have idea behind F1 yet. Maybe watch for another year or so and give it a chance.

Since the engineering and development is so important in this series, it sometimes happens that a team makes a step advance from the competitiors.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA