Jay Lutz

Jay Lutz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:St. Louis
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:33
The 2012 will be 45mm, before that (ie now) 47mm, what was it before 47mm??? Just wondering if I have a 45mm plate in the trailer or not. Car is 5 hours away right now in trailer. Thanks, Jay

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Jay~ It's a 45 like it was before
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jay Lutz

Jay Lutz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:St. Louis
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:33
Thanks Keith..........so it should be in the trailer somewhere.

Terry Clements

Terry Clements

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Souhwest
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:6
I believe Drago told me that the old stainless steel plates that Mazda sold in years past will not be legal in SCCA races. The plates that SCCA Enterprises sell are anodized aluminum. You may never get called on the old plate. I would not take it to the Runoffs.

Terry Clements
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:99
NASA will accept the old plates.... at least in my region, we check the dimension and that is all.

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

NASA will accept the old plates.... at least in my region, we check the dimension and that is all.

Same in SoCal and I suspect the same for all the regions... I'll look into it.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
Here;s what the current GCR says about plates for SM.

d. 1.8L cars must use an air restrictor plate. The
restrictor plate must be placed between the throttle
body and plenum. All intake air must pass through the
restrictor plate. Restrictor plates must be the proper
size as listed in the specification table, must be from
Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development or from SCCA
Enterprises, and must not be modified.

Based on this, as a tech inspector, I would consider the non anodized plate legal. However, I would certainly be more likely to have it pulled to measure. This past year, I looked at the opening surface of the Enterprise plates while in place to make certain they had not been altered. If it was not an Enterprise plate, I asked for it to be pulled. However, I also had Enterprise plates pulled and measured them. A lot depends on the tech staff available to help. Make sure you have the new GCR weight of your car so that it can be seen as you go across the scales. New rule.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
What Jim wrote above is correct, Mazdaspeed issued plates are also still legal. The only sizes ever offered by mazdaspeed that we are still using now is 45 mm. So the only non Enterprises plate that could be out there and legal is the 45 mm. Make sure you measure it as there is NO tolerance.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

Make sure you have the new GCR weight of your car so that it can be seen as you go across the scales. New rule.

I missed this one. Are you saying we need to have our minimum weight displayed on the car exterior? Can you point me to that rule. I searched and could not find it.

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Page 29 of the December Fastrack.

#4350 – May
In 9.3.29, add a new section D as follows:
“Except for classes in which there is only 1 required minimum weight (i.e., ASR, FB, FC, FE, FF, FM, FS, FST, FV,
SM5, SRF), all cars shall display the correct minimum weight specified in the current GCR using numbers that are a
minimum of two inches in height and are within 6 inches of the class designation in a manner that is clearly legible to
the scrutineers at the scales. Cars that are run in more than one class must display the correct minimum weight for each
class so that it is clear which weight applies to each class.”

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
Jim - Thank you for the help.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Here;s what the current GCR says about plates for SM.

d. 1.8L cars must use an air restrictor plate. The
restrictor plate must be placed between the throttle
body and plenum. All intake air must pass through the
restrictor plate. Restrictor plates must be the proper
size as listed in the specification table, must be from
Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development or from SCCA
Enterprises, and must not be modified.

Based on this, as a tech inspector, I would consider the non anodized plate legal. However, I would certainly be more likely to have it pulled to measure. This past year, I looked at the opening surface of the Enterprise plates while in place to make certain they had not been altered. If it was not an Enterprise plate, I asked for it to be pulled. However, I also had Enterprise plates pulled and measured them. A lot depends on the tech staff available to help. Make sure you have the new GCR weight of your car so that it can be seen as you go across the scales. New rule.

Jim, are they using a no/go gauge, or how are they measuring them?

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I used the Enterprise go/no go on the Enterprise plates and measured the others. To measure, I set the dial caliper at max size plus .001 as a go/no go. By doing it this way, it locks the gauge and makes measuring easier. I really don't care what size it is as long as it isn't over size. BTW, I did not find any over size plates this year, just missing plates or the wrong one for the year. At the ARRC, due to the number of cars and cars running multi sessions, I marked all the plates and then measured those who made post race impound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users