Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
I have now seen two on-line comments about adjustabel fuel pressure on 1.6's. I was under the impression it was a 1.8 only thing.

Two questions then... First, is that modification approved by SCCA for 1.6's? Second, I need to understand how that modification will gain horespower or torque versus the standard adjustmemt of the AFM and timing on the 1.6.

In my case, I can achieve a near ideal air fuel ratio from 3,000 RPM's to 6,800. (But at the pretty immaterial expense of being too rich below 3,000 RPM's.) How can a higer (or lower) fuel pressure be used to affect HP or torque more advantageously than timing and AFM adjustments alone?

Thanks in advance for the tutorial!
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I have now seen two on-line comments about adjustabel fuel pressure on 1.6's. I was under the impression it was a 1.8 only thing.

Two questions then... First, is that modification approved by SCCA for 1.6's? Second, I need to understand how that modification will gain horespower or torque versus the standard adjustmemt of the AFM and timing on the 1.6.

In my case, I can achieve a near ideal air fuel ratio from 3,000 RPM's to 6,800. (But at the pretty immaterial expense of being too rich below 3,000 RPM's.) How can a higer (or lower) fuel pressure be used to affect HP or torque more advantageously than timing and AFM adjustments alone?

Thanks in advance for the tutorial!
Rick

I can only answer your first point. Yes it is legal to adjust FP on the 1.6L. All cars in SCCA have open timing and FP. No idea about NASA.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA