Photo

Newbie looking to get started in 2013... Where to begin?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

RJ-19

RJ-19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
In the last few years I've hit my mid-life crisis (and still shy of age forty). I figured that some speed in my life might fix the problem and in some regards it has. However I've also learned like anything in life you always want more. Four years ago, I started running PDX events with my bone stock MINI Cooper S. After a couple years of that, I felt that twitch again (mainly due to every other car on the track passing me).

So... I went out and purchase a 2003 Corvette Z06. I have run that at PDX events the last two years, first year bone stock and this past year with upgraded brake components and better tires. The Z06 did fix the "need for speed" but I've also quickly realized that I can not afford to take the next step with that car. In other words, I can't afford to put a Z06 in the wall and expect to be back on the track this decade. I've seen guys mess up some really nice cars, mainly through their own mistakes, but in some cases due to others on the track as well. The thrill is great to go 140+ mph, but I'm spending too much time thinking about what I can't afford to do on the track from a financial stand point.

So... This year I've decided to take the plunge into SCCA and get into autocrossing and learn better car control. I figure I'll learn more about my driving, calibrate my rearend, get some further "driver mods" and do it in an environment which is a little safer. But in the near future (2013 season) I would like to get into club racing and from what I read Spec Miata seems to be the way to go for some simply entry level grassroots racing. So eventually I found my way here and unfortunately one of the first monster threads I started reading was discussing "The $30k Spec Miata..." Ahhhhh! That gave me a serious pause. From other sources (SCCA, etc) I had been hearing numbers of $10-$15k cars, large fields with lots of cars to race at all different talent levels, etc.

So... I hope that as I read more and keep learning I find that this will meet my needs. For the short term, I'm sure everything I'm going to ask has been posted hundreds of times before, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. To get started I'm looking for a general timeline of what I need to do this year so I'm ready next spring and if possible where is a good place to shop for a ready to run vehicle (Midwest). I don't need to be competitive, I just want to be legal and ready to run.

Ryan J
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this
Go easy on the new guy... My favorite corner on the track is the "Learning Curve"

Posted Image

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
  • RJ, You will find there are many here that started by doing DE's and that just couldnt quinch their thirst!
I have been recently accused by the MazdaRacer BOSS of running a Ferarri in the DE's.... He is very misguided, as I couldn't afford to put a simple tuneup on that kind of car. :weeping:

I actually started and ended my DE career witha a Porsche 996. Thankfully with zero damage to the car! It was a very hard transition to a Miata, I had to train my right foot never to lift off the gas, and never touch the brakes, and train my @sshole to pucker up real tight in all the corners LOL!

You cannot go wrong racing SM, I just offered IT and PT as alternatives. You will not find better drivers or better people than those in SM, it is a place where your worst enemy on the track will help you put your car together after a wreck or a mechanical just to get you back on the track because a victory over you as you sit in the paddock just isnt as fulfilling.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Stephanie Andersen

Stephanie Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Midwestern Council
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:138
Welcome Ryan! I just PM'd you a little bit of info on stuff in the area. Also, I always know of people looking to sell their car and can help you find someone in your price range.
Stephanie Andersen
Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs and Milwaukee Region SCCA/Cen Div
SM #138

Buy some parts so I can go racing!
ISellMiataParts.com

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Welcome Ryan, You have come to the right place if you like to read and listen to everybody complain why they can't win.

Actually, this is a great group of people who will help you out in any way needed.

Advanced Autosports is located over in Beloit, so stop in when ever you are in the neighborhood. I have several cars for sale from $9k entry level cars to the $30k runoffs contenders. I just counted, 39 Miatas in the building and 4 at the bodyshop.

Do your homework and read the archives from the old SpecMiata.com website. They are available on this site. Read and be familiar with the rules. There are a lot of funky cars out there. Blatant Plug Warning!!!! And buy my book, "The Spec Miata Constructors Guide". The book is not a shop manual, but more of a buyers/preperation/tuning guide. Almost 800 copies sold, so 1 in 4 SM drivers has a copy.

My advise, if you want to race, sell the Vette, buy a used SM (from me preferably) and go through drivers school in the spring. Both SCCA (April 27-29) and Midwestern Council (April 21-22) have drivers schools at Blackhawk, that can get you racing in one weekend.

Feel free to call me at the number below

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

4 at the bodyshop

Ryan, you've been warned. :king:
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Yeah be warned 90% of the cars are not in the body shop!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
Welcome Ryan!

I'm almost in the same position as you but just a bit further along. I made a deal to get my first SM on Monday. I'm getting an entry level car that I can learn on before spending money on motors.

I'm making the jump from DE'ing my 2009 BMW 335i. I got to the intermediate run group in that car, but can't afford a major incident in an expensive BMW. The BMW is also nearly 4000 lbs and eats up tires! You can find Toyo R888 tires for miatas for $80 each!! One rear tire on my BMW (or your vette) costs about as much a set on a miata! (not that I'm really going to save money, just saving in relation to race prepping a BMW).

I bought Dave's book and recommend it. It is the condensed knowledge of a lot of experience with race miatas. It may not tell you everything, but is well worth the price for what it is. For everything else there is this site and the old site archives at specmiata.com

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

.... and 4 at the bodyshop.

Welcome to SM dude. :rotfl:
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ed Muncie

Ed Muncie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:09
Ryan:

Welcome! I just finished my "rookie" season driving SM with Dave W's support and racing with Stephanie and the gang in Midwestern Council and I had a real blast. I only had one D.E. event in a street car prior to going wheel-to-wheel, so you're already way more prepared than I was. I just bit the bullet, bought a low-budget car from Dave, and jumped in with both feet. I also got a co-worker involved in Council's autocrossing this year and he's hooked. I highly recommend you talk to Dave W., Stephanie, and even drop me a line if I can be of any help. You'll find a LOT of friendly folks willing to lend a hand in the IL/WI area.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Stephanie Andersen

Stephanie Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Ryan:

Welcome! I just finished my "rookie" season driving SM with Dave W's support and racing with Stephanie and the gang in Midwestern Council and I had a real blast. I only had one D.E. event in a street car prior to going wheel-to-wheel, so you're already way more prepared than I was. I just bit the bullet, bought a low-budget car from Dave, and jumped in with both feet. I also got a co-worker involved in Council's autocrossing this year and he's hooked. I highly recommend you talk to Dave W., Stephanie, and even drop me a line if I can be of any help. You'll find a LOT of friendly folks willing to lend a hand in the IL/WI area.

I had lots of fun racing with Ed and all of the other racers that Dave supports too this year. We are a bit like a family in the SM crowd in the Wisconsin/Illinois area :) I look forward to having a new competitor in the field! Dave is THE guy to go to for any set-up help and work that needs to be done. Plus he's great for having spares at the track when you need brake pads and things. Of course, when your fender get smashed though, my fiance is the guy to go to for spare body parts.
Stephanie Andersen
SM #138

ISellMiataParts.com

RacerX

RacerX

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:51
There a a few build Blogs that can be linked from this site that are very useful too, to include Tom H's

+1 for Dave's Book,

Signed 1 of 800

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Welcome, Ryan. I'm "finishing" my built and hope to be on the track in a couple of weeks. I've spent $10k in round numbers....I have not touched the engine, trans, or diff. Next up: Tires and track time.

I've documented my complete build on my blog (see the link below) from before I even bought the donor, to the paint job I got two weeks ago and everything in between. FWIW, many people have written me and said that it has been helpful to them. My references were FIRST AND FOREMOST this group of people (both here and the archives at specmiata.com), then Dave's Book, miata.net, and then the Chilton's Miata book, the Enthusiasts manual, and the Factory Shop Manual (available on my site for 1.6, 1.8 and '99). Don't forget the SCCA GCR and the NASA CCR.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Good advice I gave you Ryan huh? :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
Just for the record, the cars at the bodyshop include:

Donor car being repaired from street car incident
Repaint/color change of a racecar with virtually no body damage
Ed Muncies pretty green car, but we don't want to talk about how that got damaged ;-(

Dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Stephanie Andersen

Stephanie Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

if you want to race, sell the Vette, buy a used SM (from me preferably) and go through drivers school in the spring. Both SCCA (April 27-29) and Midwestern Council (April 21-22) have drivers schools at Blackhawk, that can get you racing in one weekend.

I agree, go through school this year instead of waiting until 2013. Nothing beats track time, and the sooner you can get out there the better. Buy a car done - an entry level one, it's not any cheaper to build one yourself. You don't have to spend the $$ on a record setting car, it won't matter for your first season or two anyway. And buy up some R888 or RA1 tires from racers who can't use them any longer, Midwestern Council will still allow those tires for the 2012 season.
Stephanie Andersen
SM #138

ISellMiataParts.com

RJ-19

RJ-19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
Wow! – First thanks for the replies from everyone. In my other “lives” I buy/sell/trade game worn hockey jerseys from college and various pro leagues around the world (www.johnsonsjerseys.net) and I used to spend my summers as part of competitive drum and bugle corps (Pioneer from Milwaukee, Racine [WI] Kilites, Chops Inc from the Twin Cities). Now I’ve put down the drum sticks which free up my time to take on racing.

As part of those activities I’m on similar message boards and I’ll admit it was a little rough being a new guy back in the day. All newbies tend to have the same questions that have been answered a thousands times before because most of us take the same general path from point A to point B. The real questions is how many vets are willing to help you along the way. I really didn’t expect so much info so quick, but I appreciate it. I just need to be pointed in the right direction on a variety of topics.

At this point, there is just so much to wrap my head around, it is hard to take it all in. Everything from becoming familiar with various organizations (SCCA, NASA, MCSCC, etc) to learning all the acronyms as well (even harder!) I tinker with my daily drivers in minor ways for normal upkeep (oil changes, tires, disc brakes, even a water pump and starter once) but I currently don’t consider myself a mechanic or gear head. I’ve never rebuilt engines or installed a drive train or changed camber or ???? That’s part of what I want to get out of racing. Some of the stuff I comprehend the “why” but I haven’t quite figured out the “how” if you know what I mean. I would like to be more self-sufficient maintaining the vehicle rather than being that guy who has to take his car somewhere else to have stuff done.

While I would love to race in 2012, for me it is just too soon to be comfortable. I feel I need to educate myself more about what I’m getting into and at least make an attempt at getting off on the right foot. I know you can’t get it all right the first time, but honestly until Stephanie messaged me, I didn’t even know MCSCC even existed so clearly I still have plenty I can learn about in the next year or so. (Not to mention hundreds of pages of rules to read from various orgs, and then try to understand them.)

Dave – Even when I get into racing, I don’t think I can part with the Vette although it would be a quick way to bankroll my equipment. :D They are just too much fun. Plus it was my first “real car” and it is always harder to part with your first. I picked it up a couple summers ago in NC. A 2003 Z06 with only 3,900 miles for under $30k! Needless to say I’ve had a lot more fun with it than the original owner did during his 8 years of ownership.

I also agree with what Doug said about tires (and their cost). I purchased a set of new Toyo R888 for the front of the Z06 last summer new for $500/pr and scrub R888 rubber for the rears at $200/pair. Shortly thereafter I learned my first lesson about tires – run another set of “rears” up front and you can run scrubs on all for corners. Many of the World Challenge cars run that size so scrubs are plentiful and you don’t have to get them shaved. So between brand new tires and spare rims, I chalked up a $500 lesson. Ooops, live and learn.

Tom – I took a look at your blog, and yep there is another weekend of reading for me to do. As an engineer in real life, I tend to be a sponge when it comes to learning stuff. I just need to be wrung out once in a while so I can absorb more. (Then I’ll have room for Dave’s book.) This week I’m absorbing www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com.

One more general question for this posting, are most of the drivers schools and other scheduled races open to spectators who are not connected to one of the participants? I think just showing up and watching would be a great way to learn and also get to meet some of you in person I’m sure as well.

Ryan J
Go easy on the new guy... My favorite corner on the track is the "Learning Curve"

Posted Image

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

One more general question for this posting, are most of the drivers schools and other scheduled races open to spectators who are not connected to one of the participants? I think just showing up and watching would be a great way to learn and also get to meet some of you in person I’m sure as well.

YES!!!! I'm surprised we all forgot to mention this. That's how I got started. I went to a double national at TMS, and met CNJ in the lunch area...just by chance. he talked to me at length about racing cars, and building, and all kinds of stuff for about 30-45 minutes. I walked the paddock, and talked to a few guys. I briefly met Keith Verges and have attended his HPDE schools many times since. We also stayed and watched the races, which was cool. I quickly decided that Open Wheel was NOT FOR ME. The formula mada race that day had 2 1/2 green flag laps total. The rest was spend cleaning up the carnage. Lots of FMs on the hook, that day. One guy bounced off the outside wall off the exit of NASCAR 2 and shed all four corners. Yuck....no thanks.

By all means check the local schedule and go to the next race at Blackhawk, or wherever. Im sure many people would welcome the chance to meet up and show you around their car and answer any questions.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
>>> and it is always harder to part with your first<<<.

I had no problem parting with my first wife ;-))))

Allowing spectators raises the insurance rates sky hi. So most events are non-spectator. But for $10 you can be a guest of the club and in you go !!!!!

If you wish to attend a MCSCC event, let me know. I will put you on my list and get you in for free. no mebership required. For SCCA you must be a member to get in for free.

Go ahead is a great book, but he goes tooo far in being cheap. As oposesed to being fiscally responsible. IMHO

No body is ever "ready' to do this. It is kinda like being a parent. The only way to learn is to do it. And the Vette will teach you lots of bad habits. Looking back I never should have gotten past my first day of driver school. 19 years later I have improved to marginally competent :spin: :spin:

Just jump in the deep end. We have life guards.

Dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

No body is ever "ready' to do this. It is kinda like being a parent. The only way to learn is to do it. And the Vette will teach you lots of bad habits. Looking back I never should have gotten past my first day of driver school. 19 years later I have improved to marginally competent :spin: :spin:

Just jump in the deep end. We have life guards.

Dave

So, that's what that feeling is in the pit of my stomach!! I knew I recognized it from somewhere. As I get closer to leaving the "theoretical idea" of racing behind, and contemplate actually have a car ready to do it in 2012....I keep getting that deep panicky feeling that I got right before I got married. Its that "what the hell have I done? Oh, dear god, I've gone to far to back out now!" sensation.

You need that every once in a while to remember that you are ALIVE!

Ditch that weeny vet, get a real car! You know....a miata.

-tch

Stephanie Andersen

Stephanie Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
Dave, you should have mentioned that you have a rental Spec Miata that can be driven at Midwestern Council's track day on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend at Blackhawk Farms :) Racing is like a drug, and we are being pushy dealers, LOL!
Stephanie Andersen
SM #138

ISellMiataParts.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users