CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44
I just started following F1 and I found this interesting. FAI reveals new 2012 Sporting Regulations, including:

Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.

http://bit.ly/tlmVlY

Is this the same as our "1 Block" rule or something different? What was the previous F1 regulation?

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Not sure what F1 means but in SCCA you can make 1 move and that move is not allowed to impeed the progress of another car. NASA on the other hand you can make a move to not only impeed the other car but also puut him 2 wheels off the track.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Kyle Disque

Kyle Disque

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:92
Kyle,

Please note that the "1 move" reference in the GCR has been removed (a while ago). It would be time well spent to re-review this section of the GCR.

-Kyle Disque

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
Seting aside the rulebook(s), it's my firm opinion that one move is all we should get. After the second one, we deserve whever happens. :bash:
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

A. Drivers are responsible to avoid physical contact between cars on

the race track.

B. Each competitor has a right to racing room, which is generally

defined as sufficient space on the marked racing surface that under

racing conditions, a driver can maintain control of his car in close

quarters.

C. Drivers must respect the right of other competitors to racing room.

Abrupt changes in direction that impede or affect the path of

another car attempting to overtake or pass may be interpreted as

an effort to deprive a fellow competitor of the right to racing room.

D. The overtaking driver is responsible for the decision to pass another

car and to accomplish it safely. The overtaken driver is responsible

General

to be aware that he is being passed and not to impede or block the

overtaking car. A driver who does not use his rear view mirror or

who appears to be blocking another car attempting to pass may be

black flagged and/or penalized, as specified in Section 7.

SCCA rules directlry from the GCR.

Sure wish NASA would pick up on this !

K. Webb

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

NASA on the other hand you can make a move to not only impeed the other car but also puut him 2 wheels off the track.

I read the entire section on passing in NASA's CCR and didn't the above anywhere. In fact it's practically copied word-for-word from the SCCA's GCR, as is most of the rest of the rulebook. NASA hasn't gotten around to deleting the "one move" language yet.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

25.4.4 Blocking

A driver may choose to protect his or her line so long as it is not considered blocking.

Blocking is defined as two (2) consecutive line changes to “protect his/her line,” and in

doing so, impedes the vehicle that is trying to pass with each of the two (2) consecutive

movements. Drivers are encouraged to check with the Race Director for a full

explanation before the start of the race.

Clearly by this rule you are able to change the line once not to mention I have asked for clarification on this from the RD, I was told that 2 wheels in the grass to make a pass is customary. That the driver being passed must only leave 3/4 of the corner to the overtaking driver, meaning again in the grass, yet it is the overtaking drivers responsiblilty to maintain control even though he has been forced into the grass to make his pass. That is nowhere near the same as SCCA rule to racing room on the marked surface.

K. Webb

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Still not seeing the "in the grass" part. :P

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
Grass is not in writing it is the clarrification with the RD part, next time you go to a NASA race just ask. Frank can clarrify it for you as well... after a guy just moved right over on him and he didnt go into the grass to avoid, he was subsequently penalized!

K. Webb

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Punting.

The term “punting” is defined as nose to tail (or side-of-the-nose to side-of-the-tail)

contact, where the leading car is significantly knocked off of the racing line.

Once the trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the other, it is considered

that the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave the

trailing driver enough “racing room.” In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least

three quarters of one car width.” If adequate racing room is left for the trailing car, and

there is incidental contact made between the cars, the contact will be considered “sideto-

side.” In most cases, incidental side-to-side contact is considered to be “just a racing

incident.” If, in the case of side-to-side contact, one of the two cars leaves the racing

surface (involuntarily) then it may still be considered “a racing incident.” [Note: The

whole intent of the “wheel next to the driver” rule is to make sure that the overtaken

driver sees the overtaking driver.]

Notes:

These two rules are the basis by which the IRB or Race Director will determine fault

when two (2) or more cars are involved in an on-track incident. The rules described in

CCR section #25.4 are intended to help drivers determine when they should attempt a

pass, and who may be at fault should there be an incident. The main purpose of the “¾

car width” rule is not to allow one driver to “squeeze” the other driver. The main purpose

and intent is to alert the mind of the driver that is contemplating a pass that he/she may

be “forced” to go two (2) wheels off-course to avoid a collision. Basically, this means

that the overtaking driver must be certain that he/she can attempt the pass with room to

spare, and must be prepared to take evasive action if necessary.

2 wheels off course would be in the grass or into a wall maybe. this rule while it states it is not written to allow one driver to squeeze another, actually does allow for such a move. I have seen two people get race suspensions over this as well, as get DQ'd

Seems you like to argue alot Mr. Moose? I am just posting the rules... like them or not they are the rules and not just my opinions.

K. Webb

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Driving someone into the grass is not a rule, it is one race director's opinion. (Making rules on the fly is one of NASA's areas for improvement)

And please, call me Bullwinkle.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Driving someone into the grass is not a rule, it is one race director's opinion. (Making rules on the fly is one of NASA's areas for improvement)

And please, call me Bullwinkle.

The main purpose
and intent is to alert the mind of the driver that is contemplating a pass that he/she may
be “forced” to go two (2) wheels off-course to avoid a collision.

You dont see that grass is off course? I would love for you to set the RD straight for all of our sakes! I have been driven into the grass several times with NASA, not once with SCCA. Better drivers? or Better Rules? Not sure which it is...

K. Webb