Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
Do I need it ?? Or throw it out ? Or aerodynamically do you guys run them?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
You need it.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Do I need it ?? Or throw it out ? Or aerodynamically do you guys run them?

If you remove it the car will run hot in most climates.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Ok thanks guys,,

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Great, another thing I don't have that didn't come with the donor. :bash: :spin: If they haven't crushed that 93 at a local salvage maybe it has one.

I looked at the FSM and on MSM and couldn't find a reference to said piece. I called MSM a couple of times last week and they were closed (though my order still shipped) so I'll see tomorrow if they've taken the holidays off. That's a pretty common thing for the non show operations people in our biz to shut down from the week before Xmas until the 1st or second week of Jan. As for show staff, well they (the people that take the holidays off) add more shows and we can't take it off. :guinness: It's all in the game, yo....

Anyone know what section or part number it is?

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
NA01-56-111F

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
That seems counter intuitive. Why would the engine run hotter with the shroud off? It would seem that if you increase the air flow around the engine by removing it, it would run cooler.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
The shroud forces the air through the radiator and past the engine. Otherwise you would loose a lot of air flow.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
It you look at it closely its actually a pretty well designed piece. I replaced my original one that got bent up and busted pretty good. It does a nice job of channeling the air where it needs to go efficiently and out the rear.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Thanks guys
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
Thank you Jim! :cheers: :thumbsup:

I got a 10x10 drive up/ roll up storage today for a couple months to store what I'll take off and sell or scrap from the stock car. It's already mostly full. With the removed parts from the SM build..... DOH!!! And that's not counting the couple of shelves filled with the new/refurbed Miata stuff still in the shop. There are a lot more parts on that chick car than I thought.

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Southest
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19
I don't have it on mine (it was not on the car when I got it) and my car has never overheated.
Is there another reason to have it, like its required by the rules or the car goes faster (less drag)?

Still waiting for NOLA to open.

Regards
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

I don't have it on mine (it was not on the car when I got it) and my car has never overheated.
Is there another reason to have it, like its required by the rules or the car goes faster (less drag)?

Could be a weenie protest in the making. Rules say nothing about removing it. I'd defer to Drago and Meat and if they suggest having one, use one. My local guys say that haven't crushed that 93 yet.

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Thank you Jim! :cheers: :thumbsup:

I got a 10x10 drive up/ roll up storage today for a couple months to store what I'll take off and sell or scrap from the stock car. It's already mostly full. With the removed parts from the SM build..... DOH!!! And that's not counting the couple of shelves filled with the new/refurbed Miata stuff still in the shop. There are a lot more parts on that chick car than I thought.

Dont' things in storage units in Vegas start to melt in April or May ???

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Could be a weenie protest in the making. Rules say nothing about removing it. I'd defer to Drago and Meat and if they suggest having one, use one. My local guys say that haven't crushed that 93 yet.

Not necessarily a weenie protest. Suppose one found a way to change the air flow through the engine compartment that resulted in cooler air entering the intake. Part of that solution involved the removal of the undertray? If you could do that AND still keep the engine cool....

As you said, id it doesn't say you can.... then. It's required.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Dont' things in storage units in Vegas start to melt in April or May ???

About June is when the desert makes hell look like a vacation spot and stays that way until mid Sept. I forgot, for locals Vegas is hell....and a vacation spot. :king: Spring and Fall are pretty nice. Even if the town is a shithole.

Right now in the shop it's 47* F. Or as the locals say, freezing.......

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Not necessarily a weenie protest. Suppose one found a way to change the air flow through the engine compartment that resulted in cooler air entering the intake. Part of that solution involved the removal of the undertray? If you could do that AND still keep the engine cool....

As you said, id it doesn't say you can.... then. It's required.

Tom's got his Adrian Newey hat on. :pimp:

You know what they say, once an engineer, always an engineer. If you figure out a way to do such a thing, let me know. I promise I won't do it or tell anyone else (that I'm doing it). :spin: No, really, Scout's honor....... :whistling:

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
The car may not have overheated yet, but have you driven it on a really hot day and flogged it for all it's worth? If you find out it does start overheating on a day like that, you'll wish you had an undertray handy.

We used a retired SM in a 24hr chump car race where daytime temps reached the mid 90s. On the test day we didn't have an undertray and it immediately started overheating. We scabbed something together with cardboard, duct tape and zip ties and the car ran much cooler.

Just like the air blowing in your windows doesn't do nearly the job keeping the driver cool as a duct pointed directly at the driver, the turbulent air coming up the bottom without an undertray doesn't do nearly as good a job cooling as forcing it through the radiator. It's probably not as good for overall aero either but I can't confirm that. Its one of those parts where if you don't have one or you have a mangled one and can't get your hands on a junkyard one, the Mazda part isn't very expensive and unless you mangle that one, it's a one time purchase that buys you better performance, legality, and piece of mind.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

We used a retired SM in a 24hr chump car race where daytime temps reached the mid 90s. On the test day we didn't have an undertray and it immediately started overheating. We scabbed something together with cardboard, duct tape and zip ties and the car ran much cooler.

Plus it fits the motif of Chump Car. Nicely done. The tray is still pretty cheap from MSM and I bet the salvagers have them a plenty. And the 93 Miata they said they didn't scrap was no where to be found on the yard. They are still telling me they have a 79 Miata (after telling them a few times there is no such thing). It's one RX-7 looking Miata that's for sure.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users