21 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Who's going to be attending the open group on 1/30/11 at Thunderhill? Should be a fun day with a solid group of SM'ers hopefully. Though the first 2 groups are full(race craft), I believe last I heard the open group still has room. Brush the dust off the car and drag it out early!! :)

Thanks Ray! Got it!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ray Meister

Ray Meister

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:38
Hi Ron,

I think that I will be able to make it. BTW, I think the date is 1/30. Hope to see you there.

Ray
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
I just posted about this in the "HPDE" section, there are a few events prior to the clinic and I was wondering if anyone is trying to get more track time?

On the Friday there is a Thunderhill hosted test day for $199 and on Saturday a HOD day for $285.

Im still up in the air if I want to get all I can get from making the trip out there. :blink:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Dr.Dan

Dr.Dan

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:san francisco
  • Car Number:39
I'll be there if my car is ready. Dropping an LS6 in this weekend but it may need dyno time so we'll see,
Daniel Mairani DDS. Now in a LS 6 V8 miata. OMG it's fast.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88
Any tips on logistics for those of us coming in from out of town...where to stay, not to stay...the kind of stuff you might have learned your first time there that left you thinking, "I really wish I knew this earlier."?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51

Any tips on logistics for those of us coming in from out of town...where to stay, not to stay...the kind of stuff you might have learned your first time there that left you thinking, "I really wish I knew this earlier."?

Casa Ramos.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
I normally go to Airport Cafe (nancy's) has some pretty decent breakfast/hamburgers/sandwhiches. I have stayed at the travelodge a few times and I perfer the Holiday Inn Express. I think the Holiday Inn is best over the other choices.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Yep, Travelodge and Casa Ramos. However use Caution entering your room for the first time. I once entered and found a very large man already in the room. Luckily he was using the bathroom as I scurried out the door and back to the office. The attendant simply said "Oh Sorry".
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Yep, Travelodge and Casa Ramos. However use Caution entering your room for the first time. I once entered and found a very large man already in the room. Luckily he was using the bathroom as I scurried out the door and back to the office. The attendant simply said "Oh Sorry".

???...Ok, if he was in the bathroom how did you know he was a very large man? :unsure:

Go to the Thunderhill website for lodging info and sites. All lodging and food is right at freeway offramps...track is 6 miles west. There is a grill and very small store at track. You'll pass Wal-Mart as you head to the track in the morning...nothing after that. Or if you stay at the track Wal-Mart is the closest store. Bring your cold weather gear just in case...it can get chilly!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco

???...Ok, if he was in the bathroom how did you know he was a very large man? :unsure:

Go to the Thunderhill website for lodging info and sites. All lodging and food is right at freeway offramps...track is 6 miles west. There is a grill and very small store at track. You'll pass Wal-Mart as you head to the track in the morning...nothing after that. Or if you stay at the track Wal-Mart is the closest store. Bring your cold weather gear just in case...it can get chilly!

It's 35mph in front of Wal-Mart don't speed pass that to the track, the farmer has speed dial and speeding gives us a bad rep.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
Cool, thanks for the info! That's exactly the kind of stuff I was thinking.

I do plan on studying vids. If anyone has some good ones, particularly showing the line you'd take if you had a clear track, that would be good.

I look forward to meeting y'all there. I'll be driving one of Al's cars or I'd say look for red and silver 88. Should be a good time. B)
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Cool, thanks for the info! That's exactly the kind of stuff I was thinking.

I do plan on studying vids. If anyone has some good ones, particularly showing the line you'd take if you had a clear track, that would be good.

I look forward to meeting y'all there. I'll be driving one of Al's cars or I'd say look for red and silver 88. Should be a good time. B)

Keith, Robert Linse posted video from his trip down last year on youtube...in this particular video he sets the SMT lap record during the race...it is a very clean lap!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
Hey Guys,

Yes, Art of Road Racing non-instruction C group still has spots open. Tell your friends. Hope to see you there Ray! Looks like HOD D group is full. Consider C group.

All of the motels just off RT 5 are fine. I always stay at the Motel 6 because they are relatively cheap, ~$65. Make sure to ask for the AAA or other discounts. They might have a Thunderhill discount if you mention that you are attending an event.

Casa Ramos is the place for dinner and drinks the night before. And you can walk back to your room! All the motels are within walking distance. Get your breakfast at Nancy's bright and early so you can get to the track when the gates open at 7 and set up at your leisure.

If you entered, keep an eye out for Emails with important info. I just sent one with important info to all of the A/B students. See you there!

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Any musicians out there that would have a small portable amplifier with microphone? We could use at least one. PM me.

Thanks!
-Juan

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Thanks to Juan and Dean for putting on a great day! The rain kept everyone on their toes early with the sun coming out for the last few sessions. Superb job with everything guys!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Agreed! Had a blast with the drill's and the practice race starts. Will do it again next time. :)

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
It was a blast! Definately worth the trip down. That course is all kinds of fun, especially once it dries out.

Huge props to Juan, Dean, and all the volunteers that made it a great weekend!

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hey Guys,

Thanks. We had a blast putting this on. I think everyone, including instructors and organizers, took a lot home from it. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of our graduates as the season progresses. Please keep us updated!

In case you hadn't seen them, Dito took some great photos. Look here for more:

http://www.artofroad...011/Photos.html

Thanks!
-Juan

(Please respect Dito's Copyright. If you like this photo, please go to Dito's web site to purchase one. -Juan)
Posted Image

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
You guys (and gals) should put out some Art of Road Racing merchandise. I would have bought a hat, shirt, window banner or some sort of schwag to commemorate the event and help fund the mission. Can't have enough hats and t-shirts after all. :)

Dudley

Dudley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:01
love the photo's. keep up the good work. post how the students progress during the season. we are all looking for new folks to join us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users