• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:7
Posted Image

This weeks episode we talk about:

• The new changes in the SCCA Runoffs qualifying process.
• B-Spec, with the manufactures behind it, it can’t fail or can it?
• There are now new places for the Mazda MX5 platform to play, in club racing.

GoRacingTV.com is excited to announce the airing of its latest original content web video show “Racing No Filters”. This edgy, Mazda centric talk show hosted by Errol Tucker, Jim Daniels and Mike “Meathead” Collins, will address all the facts, rumors and myths surrounding racing Mazda’s at the club and ProAm level.

Co-Host Jim Daniels said, “I earned my “No Filter” status when I was terminated (I was the first SM Ad Hoc Chairman) in 2002 for not keeping the secret that Spec Miata was slated to be “REGIONAL ONLY”. Later, in 2007, I got another stripe when I was heavily compensated by the club for disallowing my MX5 from SSB competition weeks before the Runoffs. Don’t get me wrong, I love the club and the systems you must work to be successful in the club. I’ve been a Mazda insider for over two decades now. I have owned and raced all generations of the rotary cars, four platforms of the front wheel drive cars and all MX5 models. In 1988 I drove a 1979 RX7 in my first drivers school and in 2008 I drove the factory Mazda-6 in World-Challenge, what a ride it has been! I think we will find a way for this show to be very interesting. NO FILTER BABY!!”

“Many folks in both the SCCA and NASA know how passionate I am about Sports Car Racing and that I am inclined to say what I think without filter. If you hang around me long enough you’re certainly going to hear me say “that’s not what the rule says”, or “if you read the rules you would know”. I enjoy being on the outside looking in, it allows me to hold the various clubs leadership accountable for their actions, that doesn’t mean I am just a user or customer, I get actively involved in many capacities and volunteer my time freely. I am really looking forward to this format and weekly show” says co-host Mike Collins Partner-Founder MEATHEAD Racing, SMAC Member and Internet TV Celebrity at GoRacingTV.com.

“It’s no secret that the Spec Miata class and community is one of the largest in club racing, it’s only natural that we try to address that communities desire for interesting video content. It’s something many SM drivers have emailed us about for quite some time”, said Errol Tucker executive producer of GoRacingTV.com.

The show will air Sunday nights weekly at 8:00pm EDT on GoRAcingTV.com and MazdaRacers.com. Viewers are urged to chime in and give your thoughts of the host’s commentary.

About GoRacingTV.com Inc.
GoRacingTV is the premier web-video channel for the club racing/grassroots racing community. GoRacingTV.com began airing episodes of its instructional video shows, the “Club Racer” and “Auto Crosser” web-based video shows in February of 2009, but has quickly become the site where club racers can obtain updated information and news related to the amateur racing community. Presently, GoRacingTV produces several video programs for the grassroots racing community. GoRacingTV also provides a daily updated news article section on the front page of its site, for those fans who either cannot or do not want to view video for their news. These articles cover news from the entire top Amateur and Pro Racing series in the US. For the past two years GoRacingTV.com has provided video coverage of the SCCA Chicago Region June Sprints, airing all 9 racing groups from the event. GoRacingTV has also covered the past two years of the SCCA Championship Runoffs and the NASA Championships, producing a daily evening news show from the event informing fans of breaking news in a format similar to a standard network evening news show. Most recently GoRacingTV.com teamed up with Mazda and Cooper Tires to stream a Live Show from the 2011 Performance Industry Racing Show in Orland FL. GoRacingTV.com has partnered with some of the top Sports Car series in the U.S. and Canada to host their racing video archives. Racing fans around the world can now come to the GoRacingTV.com web site to see racing from their favorite series, SCCA Pro Racing Trans AM and Spec Racer Ford Series, Mazda Playboy MX5 Cup, Dodge Viper Cup, Star Mazda and Canadian Touring Car to name a few. This is just a handful of some of the video coverage available on GoRacingTV.com.
Errol J Tucker Sr.
www.GoRacingTV.com
tucker@GoRacingTV.com
410-929-GRTV

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Great episode!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

GoRacingTV.com

GoRacingTV.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:7
Thanks!
Errol J Tucker Sr.
www.GoRacingTV.com
tucker@GoRacingTV.com
410-929-GRTV

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65
Good stuff, thanks Errol. When will Meat's first "red tape" blog be up?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
Pretty interesting, even if a lot of it is totally wrong.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Pretty interesting, even if a lot of it is totally wrong.

Go ahead and try to put a spin on it.
  • Glenn likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
I enjoyed and found the program informative. It's take pretty much matches what I see as reality.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:CDR
  • Car Number:73
Mike,

I’ll put a spin on the master’s comment you made. I will paraphrase but I believe it was “this program is only on weekends that are falling any way to try to boost them. Just give them up”. I can’t speak for the other regains but in the Rocky Mountain Davison if we followed your rule we should just pack up and not race. Times are tough here where there are so many other outdoor activities for people to do and a lower concentration of people. I don’t know whether the masters is going to be a good idea or not but understand the demographics of the regions before you put down their events. I know you see 50+ car SM fields but we are lucky to have 50 cars on a race weekend. This has nothing to do with the quality of tracks (Miller is RMD by the way) or the events themselves. This has to do with low local interest in racing and other divisions who don’t feel like traveling. If this new program will help us keep racing for another year than more power to it.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
Matthew, I do understand your plight and I know I frequently come across as flipant. But the the problem, even for my "resession proof" Washington DC customers is distant travel (more than a few hours that be done in an evening). So what I fail to understand is: why create a new tier that requires a great deal of extensive travel. The tracks listed span two divisions and will require a deal of time to participate in. The new format is innovative but also requires a great deal of expense. If national racing was done away with and all SCCA racing was considered racing and only the 20 (?) classes wiht the highest nationwide participatioin got RUNOFF invitations then people could focus on qualty events within the division and not have to have Rational's or Major's or Super Tour's.......Or other gimicks.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

naparsei

naparsei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Number:#38
I didn't see the show, but I am in the RMR. I agree with Matthew. Also, at least for our region, I think if you "call out" certain classes, people will try to be there. I've done Spec Miata races where there were 4 other cars in my class. I've even thought about buying a S7, since that is probably the strongest class in CO (I live in NM). If we can have certain races as "Spec Miata" races, then car counts MIGHT cluster around those events, and we might get real sized fields.

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
Mike, I enjoy your show and opinion. Hay that is why I read the forum to see the many different viewpoints and maybe see a side I hadn’t considered. I can agree that in some divisions this program may not be beneficial or needed. From reading on here it may not even help bring some of the SM racers from TX to CO. That is a shame as I would love to have as much competition as I can get. I personally think that running at different tracks and competing with different people is what makes me a better driver, which is what I am after. That is why I got into a spec class and not a tuner class.

Whale I know your show may not be the correct forum to offer a solution maybe this is. What are your thoughts about getting people more interested in racing and having them travel more. What type of program would make you travel more? I know there are pro series for those that want to travel but I personally have not found one that will meet my $5000 S7 budget from last year. Believe me, I have been looking. For me the pro series argument only works for those that have a 100K budget for racing. Unfortunately that is not me but if you are looking to build the car and sponsor I have a driver for you. I know this is not an issue that you see in your division but maybe if you give it some thought you could help out us less fortunate. I would love to get back to the 30+ car fields I started with in CA.

Naparsei, S7 is a great local group and is growing. There are at least 2 new drivers this year. If you are looking to get a car I know where there is one for sale. Hit me up if you have any questions. 10+ car fields are not big for the rest of the country but they are nice to have locally.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
we are fortunate with the umber of what I am going to call local tracks. The MARRS (WDCR-SCCA Regional Series) has decided to go in a new direction this year. in the past we have had 10 or so races with two away events. this year the local regional series will race at 6 different tracks and have 12 total races. every single one of these tracks is less than 300 miles from my home. so at worst a 5 hour tow. most are in the 240 mile range or less. i can do that on a thursday evening. if i have to take a day off frm work to trail i don't typically want to travel that far as it adds two days to the weekend.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

If national racing was done away with and all SCCA racing was considered racing and only the 20 (?) classes wiht the highest nationwide participatioin got RUNOFF invitations then people could focus on qualty events within the division and not have to have Rational's or Major's or Super Tour's.......Or other gimicks.

+1

Seems to work for NASA
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I love the idea of the "Rational"( everything but the name) IMO, all races should be Rationals, count the point for whatever championship you are chasing.
maybe run all Rationals with a few marquis events, like Sprints and Super Tour etc
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
The concept to rework the critera for the runoffs would be easy. All regional races. Earn point for regional series, divisional series and runoffs all at the same time. top 20 (?) classes in participation go to runoffs. so the eligible classes could change every year. have one divisional race for a divisional championship, win a race win the division, not based on point. top X in divisional points get automatic invitation to runoffs, podium at divisional championship get automatic invitation, then have a conditional invitation. based on points, wins, number races to fill fields.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

The concept to rework the critera for the runoffs would be easy. All regional races. Earn point for regional series, divisional series and runoffs all at the same time. top 20 (?) classes in participation go to runoffs. so the eligible classes could change every year. have one divisional race for a divisional championship, win a race win the division, not based on point. top X in divisional points get automatic invitation to runoffs, podium at divisional championship get automatic invitation, then have a conditional invitation. based on points, wins, number races to fill fields.

Darn it Mike, JUST make it happen! :prayer:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I love the idea of the "Rational"( everything but the name) IMO, all races should be Rationals, count the point for whatever championship you are chasing.
maybe run all Rationals with a few marquis events, like Sprints and Super Tour etc

Almost all of our 2011 races were Rationals. Liked the extra car count, did not like the fact the National designation cost $100 more than the guy you are racing with who signed up for Regional. Normally we would get extra track time for that money but not the case when we are all running together.
Don't know how other divisions are handling this, could be our division just wanted to charge more for the trophy.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

National designation cost $100 more than the guy you are racing with who signed up for Regional.

Ridiculous.

While I'm at it: To all the SCCA regions that want to charge me an additional $100-$300 fee to share a car at a double event - Any guesses why you never see us entered?

If NASA would only add 2-3 more race groups I'd never run SCCA events.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
Mike, not sure if I like the 1 race you get the divisional championship concept. You could have a driver that happens to be good at 1 track and has a good day win it but that doesn’t mean he could hold his own at any other track. I feel you need to run multiple tracks to prove you are a champion. I also subscribe to the concept that true championships are won on your bad days, not your good ones. I know the runoffs is only held at one track but most have to run on other tracks to get there in the first place. I believe it used to be a requirement to run out of division races to qualify for the Runoffs. Maybe this concept should be brought back.

I agree with doing away with the National/Regional thing. This new concept was pioneered in RMD and the national drivers were complaining about being on track with the lowly regional guys. I haven’t heard this much anymore though. The push for this type of race was born out of low car counts and needing to bust the numbers. Now it has been adopted by divisions with larger car counts.

MPR22, It dose cost $15 per car per day for the national tow fund. Not sure where the other $70 went. We just charge the $30 difference in RMD.

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Ridiculous.

While I'm at it: To all the SCCA regions that want to charge me an additional $100-$300 fee to share a car at a double event - Any guesses why you never see us entered?

If NASA would only add 2-3 more race groups I'd never run SCCA events.

Are you sharing a car in a different run group? If so there is additional insurance. I don’t remember the cost off hand but you can find it on the SCCA site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users