24 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
. . . is officially on my WTF list.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-01-24/Backyard-wonderland-reveals-imaginative-Dale-Earnhardt-Jr/52779424/1
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
looks like the start of Michael Jacksons place ;)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:30
One of 'em would put the wood in ya. The other puts you in the woods.

I think I'll pick Junior.
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
"put the wood in ya."

Only if you were under 12 years old.

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
I actually spoke to Jr & to his sister Kelly about this when it first got started. Before I say anything, just take a moment and put yourself in his shoes. His face is well known especially in Mooresville/Kannapolis making it almost impossible to go out in public in peace. Then, also consider you are taking in $34,000,000 a year which means $2,833,333 per month, $653,846.15 per week or $93,150.68 per day seven days a week. All the NASCAR drivers are very aware that a DUI ticket is a super NO NO. So rather than risk the public, the liability and any problems, most hang out at home.

Thus, Jr. built a big party/social room in his basement for all the friends. However, since most of the friends are fellow drivers and crew, it still created the transportation problem. In addition, after they "trashed" the basement area and several wandered up stairs to sleep it off, Jr decided to build a western theme saloon on his property. He already had two super go kart tracks, one dirt, one paved and a garage area for his fleet of Corvettes, Chevy Bel Aire, Camaros, a Mercedes & his trucks. However, the problem of transportation still existed so he had a hotel built for everyone to sleep it off. And since several did not want to obey the rules, he had a jail built. Of course, he had to add a restaurant. And for those who needed forgiveness from the highest authority, he had a church built.

The town named Whiskey River( Jr is a real fan of Willie Nelson) is used for Company functions and has been featured in several recent commercials. ( I've got tickets to see Willie here in Atlanta in 2 weeks) Jr also owns two Pubs named Whiskey River, one in Mooresville and the other in Jacksonville, Fl.

Dale Jr is a really family and friend oriented guy. He hired his sister, Kelley, to manage DEI and has long had his cousin Tony Eury, Jr as his crew chief and Uncle Tony Eury Sr as Director of operations. He also brought them both in a co owners last year. Kelley & Dale's mother both have houses on his 200 plus acres outside Kannapolis. He spends a great deal of time with his charity work and his foundation reportedly raises well over 5 million a year for primarily children and veterans' charities a year.

I know Jr and he ain't no Michael Jackson. And he has a girl friend, Amy! BTW, never get around Tony Stewart & Jr. It's nothing but trouble looking for a place to happen. Ever notice how the female reporters never turn their backs on either? Can you say goose?

Here's an interesting bit of Earnhardt trivia. Who, when & where was the first Earnhardt to drive the Black #3 after Sr's death? Answer; His daughter, 20 year old Taylor Nicole Earnhardt on July 4th, 2009 at the Greenwood Festival of Speed in England. She drove the Goodrich Chev that Dale drove to his final victory at Talladega in October of 2000. Taylor is better know in the sport of Equestrian where in 2008 she won a World Championship Equestrian Barrel Racing event in Texas.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Here's an idea - They're grown men, maybe it's time to stop partying like 20 year old frat boys? OR if they just have to pickle what's left of their brains, hire a driver. I think they can afford it.

Hey it's Jr's money, he can do whatever he wants. I just can't get that picture of Marky the Kid (Martin) out of my mind.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
He's also got professionally built paved and dirt kart tracks. That's where his nieces are learning to race.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I have never really understood the JR appeal, I guess many fans went his way with his fathers passing. By all accounts, JR seems like a really decent guy, a little "red" for my liking :noidea: , but a good guy. If you ever listen to the Nascar channel on Sirius, it is absolutely scary to listen to "JR Nation" fans. You should hear the countless conspiracy theories as to why JR is and hasn't won etc. Literally hundreds of different stories. If and when he wins again, they will go insane. IMO, he is a solid driver, but not a with anymore than mid pack talent. Less the last name and the fan base, he wouldn't have a ride IMO. The success he did have in NASCAR was with DEI, where even Michael Waltrip was winning on restrictor plate tracks. JR is in the best equipment imaginable, if he can't win at Hendrick, he can't win anywhere. I hope he breaks through and wins one this year on pace, they will go nuts and it will provide some really good entertainment.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Jim, They ain't git'n Junior the best equipment. :rolleyes:

I really, really want to see Dani do good - just to hear the haters stammering, "buu, buuu, but..."

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
What NASCAR needs is a really fast openly gay driver. That would really make things interesting.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
You're forgetting Jean Gerard (and Jeff Gordon).

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
Haha, yes, a real life Jean Girard from Talledega Nights! Perrier car and all :)

Attached Files

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Jim, They ain't git'n Junior the best equipment. :rolleyes:

I really, really want to see Dani do good - just to hear the haters stammering, "buu, buuu, but..."

She's attractive, charming but was at best a solid mid pack driver in IRL (driving the best possible equipment). Unfortunately Ms Patrick will fair less well in NASCAR. Heck, I even like her. That said, she like Jr will have a big (but different) built in fan base and therefore a guaranteed ride and lots of money. Stewart-Haas dIdn't hire her for any other reason than financial. She knows that, as does everyone in that sport.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year