Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
That seems impossible to believe that the camera car got a penalty. :(

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Dewey P

Dewey P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yep, he got penalized. Would have been moved to the rear if it wasn't for Dean and Laura Thomas talking with the director for an hour in defense of camera car.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Dewey, I agree with Rob, the guy clearly had it coming, he tried to pass another car without a point by.

Also in case you were not sure, according to Rob's definition the carmera car punted the other car by going to the left and hitting him in the left front bumper with his right rear bumper. An awesome display of car control if I ever saw one. This guy could teach Steve G. a thing or two about how to punt people.

Rob, you may understand your race directors interpretation of the rules but it is clear that the rule are not obvious to the participants in ALL regions. The rule book even acknowledges this and points the participant to the "Passing Arbitrator" aka Race Director at each event for guidance in what the interpetation of the rules will be for that event. Why have a rule book with diagrams if the Passing Arbitrator gets to choose the rules for the weekend and beware the driver that failed to ask how it will be adjudicated.

What is absurd about this is that people don't see how this rule actually creates contact by dictating a dominant position on the track. Rob repeatedly extols the virtues of being in the lead car and how everyone else should yield a pass the moment the lead car wants the same piece of track. That isn't racing, that is a DE with no passing in the corners without a point.

Seriously even Rob can't say the passing car was at fault in the latest video. Yet a "Passing Arbitrator" ruled in favor of the car that was no longer in the lead position and hit a car that was driving away from him to get ready for the turn in at the next corner.

We are not racing big horsepower cars that can clear each other in a mater 1 to 2 seconds. We are racing in a Spec class that thanks to the new weights and plates are extremely similar in performance. Way to go powers that be , you made passing in NASA even more dificult. Per the CCR's it is almost impossible to pass another car in the turn without breaking the rule. The lead car can always chose to continue to the apex and the trail car will have to lift, drive two off or be hit and penalized.

I don't care that the lead car has the right of way, just don't give him the incentive to chop or force the passing car off the track. One simple addition to the rules and the problem goes away. The lead car shall not initiate contact with the passing car. In every instance of the video's posted the leading car initiated contact.

It is absurd to be involved in a race with the "no mirrors necessary" passing policies. I honestly never look in the mirrors while involved in side by side passing mid turn activities, I tend to have my eyes up track looking at the exit, calculating how much room i need to leave my competitor so he/she can also continue down the track without contact or being forced into, wall, grass, curbing, another competitor, flag station..... you get the point.

Why would anyone refuse to add a sentence that clearly discourages contact?

The SCCA rules make it too easy to make a pass. Don't like the car ahead of you? Stick your nose in 4 inches, punt him when he turns in, win, and then successfully protest him for fun.

Your suggested wording change contradicts other sections and makes the rules nearly the same as the SCCA rules, and I think NASA thinks their rules are better.

I'm sorry you don't like it. I like NASA's rules, but if you don't, other events beckon.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

It is absurd to be involved in a race with the "no mirrors necessary" passing policies. I honestly never look in the mirrors while involved in side by side passing mid turn activities, I tend to have my eyes up track looking at the exit, calculating how much room i need to leave my competitor so he/she can also continue down the track without contact or being forced into, wall, grass, curbing, another competitor, flag station..... you get the point.

I think you just made the case for no mirrors necessary passing. Also, many forms of wheel to wheel racing ban mirrors and reflective surfaces.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
Wow, this is a real education. You guys really turn in on an overlapping car because the rules say it's your corner? I can't count how many times I went through a corner off line because there was someone there. Look in the mirrors? At that point if you don't have the spacial awareness to know from the sound and your last peek exactly where he is you're in big trouble. Hell, that's why I do this, for the door to door. Besides, if someone pulls that kind of move he better remember he will be racing with all of us again soon.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Rob,

Did the camera car punt the trail car in Dewey's video?
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
What's ironic about this whole discussion is that there is passing in every single NASA race...and it happens cleanly! You know why?? Because 95% of guys want to finish the race, be around for the next race, and want their competitors to be around also in one piece...so they leave RACING ROOM!!!!!! They also realize they are being passed for a reason...and generally it's a good one! Most chose to finish the race rather than be "In the right" as they survey the damage the tire wall did to their car.

IMO, despite what i think are flaws in the way NASA rules are written and interpreted(deweys video example)...they work, because the majority of racers are gentleman and not assholes! And in due time the Assholes take themselves out or are gently helped by a gentleman racer who's had enough. In SCCA, the divebomber who thinks he can use the rules to his advantage, in due time will to find his days numbered. Once was an accident, twice is suspect, 3rd time and the gentleman begin to cull the herd! Just how i see it from the stands :wave2:

Last word from me. In NASA, you should not be able to use your track position(and car) to foil a clean pass. In SCCA, you should not be able to take your competitor out from the rear because of a fractional overlap and get away with it! But hey, different strokes for different folks...someone always thinks they have a better mouse trap :D
  • MPR22, Jim Drago, Charlie Hayes and 1 other like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

What's ironic about this whole discussion is that there is passing in every single NASA race...and it happens cleanly! You know why?? Because 95% of guys want to finish the race, be around for the next race, and want their competitors to be around also in one piece...so they leave RACING ROOM!!!!!! They also realize they are being passed for a reason...and generally it's a good one! Most chose to finish the race rather than be "In the right" as they survey the damage the tire wall did to their car.

IMO, despite what i think are flaws in the way NASA rules are written and interpreted(deweys video example)...they work, because the majority of racers are gentleman and not assholes! And in due time the Assholes take themselves out or are gently helped by a gentleman racer who's had enough. In SCCA, the divebomber who thinks he can use the rules to his advantage, in due time will to find his days numbered. Once was an accident, twice is suspect, 3rd time and the gentleman begin to cull the herd! Just how i see it from the stands :wave2:

Last word from me. In NASA, you should not be able to use your track position(and car) to foil a clean pass. In SCCA, you should not be able to take your competitor out from the rear because of a fractional overlap and get away with it! But hey, different strokes for different folks...someone always thinks they have a better mouse trap :D

Great post Ron
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:70
Dewey, maybe what happened the day before is why the penalty was so harsh. If your going to tell a story don't leave out the beginning

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Great thoughts, Ron. Basically you're saying we don't need passing rules at all -- which is probably true in the long run, but it sure leaves a lot of problems in individual races.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Why have a rule book with diagrams if the Passing Arbitrator gets to choose the rules for the weekend and beware the driver that failed to ask how it will be adjudicated

+1

One of the things that I'm not crazy about in NASA is that many times decisions on rules, and even how events are conducted seem to be made on the fly. I guess that can be good and bad.

I won't go into specifics but I have personally witnessed what I consider bone-head behavior successfully lobbied out of being penalized.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

+1

One of the things that I'm not crazy about in NASA is that many times decisions on rules, and even how events are conducted seem to be made on the fly. I guess that can be good and bad.

I won't go into specifics but I have personally witnessed what I consider bone-head behavior successfully lobbied out of being penalized.

Just like anywhere, it's all in who you know and how you talk to them. We are all humans, and we all have our favorites. Some race directors handle their bias better than others but we all have them, even us racers.

Rules are interpreted and enforced by Race Directors. I dont see that changing anytime soon.

I plan to race with both NASA and SCCA this year, my schedule is heavily wieghted towards my favorite group. I plan to race hard and clean and the chips will fall where they may. Even great racers have and even cause contact out there, nobody is perfect and we are still learning. Every bit of contact I have had has been a learning experience, I still have lots to learn...

If the pass is there take it, if you set it up, then take it, if it presents itself take it. You will learn nothing from not trying. You cant stop anyone from taking advantage of rules that allow them to put you into the grass, you have to figure you have about 98% shot at making the pass against someone who is not willing to put you into the grass on your attempt. Only 2% of the racers out there IMO are willing to go to those lengths to stay in front of you.

As for blocking... blocking is the slowest way around the track, attempting to block me on one turn just sets me up to get by you somewhere else. I have driven defensive lines and it almost always allows the guy behind me to stay in contact with me, and put pressure on me to not make mistakes. My finest races have been by driving the line using the entire track, and if someone can get around me then so be it. I made a decision sometime last year to drive my race, rather than worry about the people in my mirror. I still know where they are, and if they can get along side they get 4 wheels on the pavement. If they can beat me they are the better driver that day. I congradulate them and then start figuring out what I need to improve to win the next race. It has also made me much more likeable in the paddock :)
  • pat slattery likes this

K. Webb