32 replies to this topic

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63
I am using a 310mm diameter (Sparco 310) and it is too small. My thumbs hurt after the race...

What do you use? diameter / brand / model ?

Thanks!
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
I found I like the stock diameter best, mostly because I glance at the gauges habitually, and having them covered by a smaller wheel was a distraction.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Of all the wheels I sell, the most popular size is either 320 mm (12.6 inches) or a 13 inch wheel. If your thumbs hurt, it is not the wheel being too small. You are probably to close or too far from the wheel. Or pushing the wheel, rather than pulling it. i.e. left hand does most of the work in left hand corners. Thumbs should not be stressed at all.

The most comfortable wheel I have found is a Personal brand 320mm. They are also the most expensive.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
Stock gauges? What are those good for? I use a shift light and have oil press and water temp in the center console so no need to look through the wheel.

If your thumbs are sore you are probably hooking them over the spokes and using them too much. Try placing your thumbs on the wheel itself (vertically) rather than hooking them and using your fingers and palms to apply the grip to the wheel.

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:3
Change how you are holding the wheel. If you take a hard impact you will break your thumb or your wrist.

(null)
  • dstevens likes this
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30
It doesn't take a hard impact -- even a rut at the edge of the track can jerk the wheel enough to wrench your thumb. Mine didn't break, but it was in pain for a month.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Regarding size, I've used the small wheels and don't like them. I like the 13" / 350mm wheels. Personal preference.

As for brands, I prefer the various Momo wheels that I have tried since they tend to be thicker than the the various Sparco wheels that I have tried. I'm currently using a Momo Commando which I bought for $50 w/ a Momo hub used.

The next steering wheel I get for the race car will be a suede one. The leather wheels can be a little slippery when wearing gloves.

Regarding positioning, I have changed the steering wheel hub and used steering wheel spacers to get the wheel at the proper distance/location to my arms and body. Took about 6 races driving the car at various tracks to figure out what worked best for me. DaveW at Advanced-Autosports carries the steering wheel spacers and such.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I bought a NRG that is a knock-off of the Personal suede to try out a smaller size. I get better hand to thigh clearance with a smaller wheel and it helps my right shoulder which has some mobility issues due to past injuries but I do notice the additional steering effort. I like horizontal spokes also since I put my AIM display where the cluster was.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
I do like, no make that love, the NRG quick release. It's awesome. Nice and tight feeling w/ no perceptible slop.

cpdenis

cpdenis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Number:09
I have the MOMO Mod 07 350mm its got a 70mm dish so it clears my knees and brings it closer to me. R1905/35S
Alberto, the replacement for the Commando is the Mod.88 in 350. R1988/35S. Its the same but just in Suede. I believe that's the one Drago has in one of his cars.
CP

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
I ordered a Momo Mod 80...but they sent a Momo Mod 78. Still a nice wheel. Momo lists it as 350mm, but I measured it at 340mm. Suede.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I do like, no make that love, the NRG quick release. It's awesome. Nice and tight feeling w/ no perceptible slop.

That is all we use now for awhile, they are really nice!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Change how you are holding the wheel. If you take a hard impact you will break your thumb or your wrist.

(null)

Yep, one of the first things they teach in racing school like Skippy or Russell and to let go of the wheel just prior to a hard front end impact. I've got a Sparco 310 from the shifter and a Sweet Mfg quick release. Pit Fit gave me a series of hand exercises to do to minimized joint pain and build hand muscle endurance. They are garden variety hand exercises, nothing special but they work.

Dave Lewis

Dave Lewis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:86
Personal 320mm.

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

That is all we use now for awhile, they are really nice!

Jim, do you have a part number for the NRG quick release? I got dizzy looking at all of the variety they offer on the web site.
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

Jim, do you have a part number for the NRG quick release? I got dizzy looking at all of the variety they offer on the web site.

I have been using this one "NRG Quick Release Gen 2.5 SRK250". It seems well made and I haven't had any issues.

This is the QR here: http://new.getnrg.co...ts/gen-2.5/feed. I use it with a MOMO hub adapter and a 1" space for me. Shorter drivers might want a smaller extension...
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
I got the NRG 2.5 also. I got mine on Amazon with credit card points. :D

http://www.amazon.co...29945208&sr=8-1

I also used a regular Momo hub adaptor. The NRG short hub put the wheel too far away for my seating position. Its in the garage gathering dust if anyone is looking for a used one. I have pics somewhere....

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
We all use the MOMO Mod 78, but in my new B-Spec we are going to use the OMP Targa.

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bighec

Bighec

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

We all use the MOMO Mod 78.

Momo 78 is where it's at in my opinion. Comfortable, big, and ergo...

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7

Momo Mod 78 here.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion