red986s

red986s

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:NRSCCA
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:64
Anybody making plans to build a Miata? Sounds like a lot fun. That is if the class takes off.
Mitch
Mannschaft Schwartz Auto-Rennen
YouTube Channel

STEVE HUNT

STEVE HUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:DC
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:141
I'm seriously considering it. I had already planned on doing a 1.6 to 1.8 conversion anyway so it wouldn't be a huge leap to go to STL instead. The extra HP is just what the Miata needs. Anybody got a 99 head and intake for sale?

Steve

Liberty AutoSport

red986s

red986s

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Almost sounds like a no brainer doesn't it? Especially for the 1.6 owner. I was thinking about a MZR. Heard it may be too tall though. Still researching.

Steve what class were you jumping to with the 1.6 to 1.8 swap?

Edit: On second thought, forget the MZR! Car weight goes up to 2600lbs!!! A 1.8 = 2340lbs, not a terrible stretch.
Mitch
YouTube Channel

STEVE HUNT

STEVE HUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Almost sounds like a no brainer doesn't it? Especially for the 1.6 owner. I was thinking about a MZR. Heard it may be too tall though. Still researching.

Steve what class were you jumping to with the 1.6 to 1.8 swap?

Edit: On second thought, forget the MZR! Car weight goes up to 2600lbs!!! A 1.8 = 2340lbs, not a terrible stretch.

I ran the 1.6 in ITA last year, it's a great class but I like the idea of being in a new class like STL the first year. I've debated between the 99-00 BP-4W and the 01-05 BP-3Z. The 4W is a pretty easy conversion while the 3Z is more expensive and a more complex conversion. The weight of the 1.8 with it's stock bore at 2340 works out pretty good as well.

Steve

Liberty AutoSport

trey

trey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:SCCA Houston
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5
What's the short story in regard to converting from ITA Spec to STL Spec :

- Engine Swaps
- Internal Mods ?
- Aero
- Wheels ?
- Anything else ?

Edens

Edens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Midiv
  • Car Number:26
The weight of the 1.8 would be 2398.5lbs...

1800 = 2340lbs

+2.5% RWD penalty = 58.5lbs

2340 + 58.5 = 2398.5lbs

Heard of a couple of people talking about building cars for this class, sounds like a fun build!

Tyler Raatz

Tyler Raatz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
I currently have an STL car under construction as a new build.
Early NA tub, 99 engine, 11:1 CR, Carillos, custom specd Integral/MegaCycle cams, MS3 megasquirt, APR carbon wing, custom Carbon splitter. The chassis will be nearly identical to my ITA car with a slightly stiffer cage design, a little seam welding and all the required IT garbage removed. Looks like I will need to carry 250-300# of ballast to make weight, but I can put it where I want it so no biggie there.
Expecting to make around 185hp at the wheels, will still have close to SM/ITA reliability and be a real hoot to drive with the power and downforce.
I'll post pics as thing progress.

Tyler Raatz
C&R motorsports

red986s

red986s

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Early NA tub, 99 engine, 11:1 CR, Carillos, custom specd Integral/MegaCycle cams, MS3 megasquirt, APR carbon wing, custom Carbon splitter. The chassis will be nearly identical to my ITA car with a slightly stiffer cage design, a little seam welding and all the required IT garbage removed. Looks like I will need to carry 250-300# of ballast to make weight, but I can put it where I want it so no biggie there.
Expecting to make around 185hp at the wheels, will still have close to SM/ITA reliability and be a real hoot to drive with the power and downforce.

Tyler Raatz
C&R motorsports

Wow! Can't wait to see it!
Mitch
YouTube Channel

STEVE HUNT

STEVE HUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Tyler Raatz
C&R motorsports

Sounds like a great build. I'm planning the same basic build but have yet to really get started. Your post makes me want to go out the shop and start turning wrenches this very moment. I look forward to build updates.

Steve

Liberty AutoSport

STEVE HUNT

STEVE HUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Tyler Raatz
C&R motorsports

Tyler, Which pistons are you going to run. I'm leaning towards the 01-05 OEM 10:1 pistons then shaving the head and decking the block as much as allowed to get as close to 11:1 as I can.

Steve

Steve

Liberty AutoSport

Tyler Raatz

Tyler Raatz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Tyler, Which pistons are you going to run. I'm leaning towards the 01-05 OEM 10:1 pistons then shaving the head and decking the block as much as allowed to get as close to 11:1 as I can.

Steve

The ring pack and skirt design on the factory pistons is not that great for the power and RPM you will generate with a proper STL build and BIG cams.
I am using 11:1 supertech pistons with stock deck block and clean up cut only on the head. Valve relief cuts in the pistons will be used to bring the c/r back down to exactly 11:1.

Edens

Edens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Midiv
  • Car Number:26
What kind of RPM range are you going to be looking for?

Tyler Raatz

Tyler Raatz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

What kind of RPM range are you going to be looking for?

Looks like the limiting factor is the factory intake manifold. It should be done at 8400 max.

STEVE HUNT

STEVE HUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

The ring pack and skirt design on the factory pistons is not that great for the power and RPM you will generate with a proper STL build and BIG cams.
I am using 11:1 supertech pistons with stock deck block and clean up cut only on the head. Valve relief cuts in the pistons will be used to bring the c/r back down to exactly 11:1.

Are you go with the stock bore size?

Steve

Liberty AutoSport

Tyler Raatz

Tyler Raatz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Are you go with the stock bore size?

.5mm overbore

red986s

red986s

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Tyler,

How's your STL build coming along?
Mitch
YouTube Channel

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I am thinking about doing one as well... How much lift did you go with on cams?
  • Glenn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

known

known

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tyler, Im interested in how your progression is coming with this? I have been building an STL car (honda) myself for 2012 and was reff. to this thread from another.

I believe you are in my region or close to it :devil: . I wanted to check out what you miata guys are going to be putting out whp wise.

Cam lift is limited to .425 Jim, so Im sure he is very close to it. I hope you do run STL as well, the more the better!

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Tyler, Im interested in how your progression is coming with this? I have been building an STL car (honda) myself for 2012 and was reff. to this thread from another.

I believe you are in my region or close to it :devil: . I wanted to check out what you miata guys are going to be putting out whp wise.

Cam lift is limited to .425 Jim, so Im sure he is very close to it. I hope you do run STL as well, the more the better!

Bear in mind that the current rule set does not allow JDM engines. So any idea of doing a cheap JDM B16 or B18 swap into a Civic or CRX goes out the window.

Gotta love the SCCA. They never make it easy, do they?

carsingh01

carsingh01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
The Chevrolet Sail hatchback will be a strong addition to GMs mini-car portfolio in India. Codenamed
Sail NB NGS, NB stands for notchback and NGS for New Global Car, it is a cheaper version of the Aveo
sedan. It was first unveiled in 2005 at Shanghai Auto Exhibit. The Sail hatchback will go on sale later this
year and GM say that they have built this car for the emerging markets. Both petrol and diesel variants
and would be competitively priced. The Sail Hatchback is designed and engineered for emerging markets
and comes equipped with Smart tech petrol and diesel power plants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users