Astro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Greatlakes
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:87

If clean is fast I will be good to go.

If clean is fast then I will be stuck at the back of the pack!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Speedycrw

Speedycrw

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:Western Michigan
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:55

If clean is fast then I will be stuck at the back of the pack!

That car should be brand new after the Dead Bear incidents of the past!

Chris Williams
2000 Spec Miata Orange #55
NASA Great Lakes Spec Miata Series Director

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Astro

Astro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Greatlakes
  • Car Number:87

That car should be brand new after the Dead Bear incidents of the past!

I never properly fixed as I am always expecting my next "dead bear" incident. Maybe I will fix it after Price retires or moves up to a Factory Five Racing car or Thunder Roadster...I hear he is really interested in getting a car with more than 115hp!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chris Price

Chris Price

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:3
Hey, David, Chris ..... I resemble that comment!

Considering carefully my move to Factory Five or GTS or even god forbid, PTE ....... Basically, parity in Spec Miata just sucks ..... there is way too much of it. Someone like me, relatively new to the sport could be forgiven for assuming that simply spending money would get me the speed I need, speed I deserve. Goodness knows I tried this route but it just isn't happening. There is a wealth of what I can only and very reluctantly conclude to be talent in Great Lakes region. Sucks to be me [Insert long rambling complaint about '99 parity here]

David, to your other point. Obviously, I'm so happy Justin was there to record the event but I still have not really been able to bring myself to watch the footage of our Dead Bear love fest. I promise not to crash into you at Dead Bear again. There are however many, many other corners and sincerely I hope our history doesn't make you think twice, hesitate, slow up or give me anything but customary "3/4 paint thickness" rule that we are so accustomed to :prayer:

Let the games commence ........

1999 Spec Miata: East Street born and V2 Motorsports raised
2010 NASA Great Lakes SM Champion
2010 NASA Great Lakes Rookie of the Year

2013 NASA Midwest SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Matt Montes

Matt Montes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
I finished comp school on Friday the 13th and started my first race day in the rain at Mid Ohio. I was able to survive with no incidents on Saturday. On Sunday, I want to thank Chris Price for giving me my first bump draft,,,, twice! I could have used a couple more of those down the back straight. I have posted the video to youtube.

Currently we (I and myself) are 50lbs overweight. I fought understeer in the dry due to a too stiff front sway bar, brand new tires, and not enough camber. I am currently rectifying those items but due to the issues I was significantly off my previous pace. This was disappointing as the car was making 5 more horsepower than my previous TT outings and I was still slower.

Anyway, here is the link

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
Check the position of the e-brake lever in the video.
  • Matt Montes likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Congrats to Spencer on the wins. Sunday's race was a blast. A shout out to Brian Murdick for his second place finish Sunday after having a difficult 2011 season, it was a good way to start the season.

Saturdays race was wet and generally cold the track was like driving in a bath tub. On Friday and on Sunday with a dry track, the track had no rubber on it at all. this was the first race on it. Most i talked to were fighting a push. I was fighting a right hand push and left hand loose condition.

On Sunday no big wrecks, a few fender benders and no full course yellows. It allowed the front 6 cars pace out some.

Lastly, my apologies to Nick DeCuzzi who i had contact with in Saturdays rain race.

Results Sunday:
1. David spencer
2. Brian Murdick
3. TJ Graven
4. Chris Price
5. Frank Todaro
6. Justin Hille
7. Matt Paderta
8. John Guthrie
9. Rober Keller
10. Jay North
11. Bill Biel
12. John Davis
13. John Green
14. Ben Pederta
15. Ron Williams
16 Dan Harding
17. Richard Strictland
18. Nick Decuzzi
19. Jeff Buttrum
20. Matt Monties
21. Daniel Johnson
22. Scott Berlin
23. Kristen Novak
24. Chris Williams
25. George Winchester.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Car Number:48
Sunday's race was the hardest race I think I had ever run, the top six were so close for most of the race. Congrats David for the win(s) and all the other drivers for a great race.

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99
I just watched the entire race from TJ's back bumper! WOW very impressive and smart driving, some of the smartest driving I have seen in a NASA race. Congrats TJ on the podium! Keep that up and you will be getting a P1, in the near future :)

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Car Number:48
lets see videos! :) I posted mine up Justin0124

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Speedycrw

Speedycrw

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
The "official" race report:

NASA Great Lakes, Mid Ohio, April 15, 2012

The season opening weekend in Great Lakes Spec Miata began with a glorious practice day that included an abundance of sunshine, and most importantly no snow! The favorable weather quickly gave way to a day of rain showers, beginning with the early morning’s slick practice session. After the spray had settled on Saturday’s qualifying, # 87 of David Spencer sat on pole. The #31 of Chris Price took home P2, while #48 Justin Hille(in a brand new ruby red paint job) rounded out the podium qualifiers.

The first green of the year was taken in the rain with a very wet track. Saturday’s start fielded 27 Spec Miatas with several new faces in a crowd of very usual suspects. The #18 of Matt Montes, the #12 of Dan Harding, the #99 of Chuck Price, the #57 of George Winchester, and the #06 of Dan Johnson were all newcomers to the class.

David Spencer was off to a quick start, followed by a group of cars that included Chris Price, Justin Hille, the sparkling new yellow #23 of Matt Paderta, the #46 of Ben Paderta, #614 Bob Keller, #55 Chris Williams, and the #8 of NASA newcomer Seth Rowley. The entire field took the first wheel to wheel turn of the year in very slippery conditions, and went from flag to flag without a single serious incident, very clean and exciting for all involved!

As the race progressed, Spencer began a dogfight with several other front runners, especially the #23 car of Paderta, who snatched the lead from Spencer during the race. Spencer fought back and took the checker for his first win of the year. Along the way, Spencer also picked up the fast lap of the race at 2:03.149, aided by a drying track towards the end of the contest.

Matt Paderta, and Justin Hille rounded out the podium. Chris Price, Bob Keller, Seth Rowley, Ben Paderta, Chris Williams, TJ Graven, and Brian Murdick finished the top ten. The #99 car of Chuck Price picked off P18 to finish as the highest rookie in the battle, while the #28 car of Bill Biel vaulted from a DQ in qualifying to P16 in the race earning Biel the hard charger for the rain race, gaining 11 spots in just under 29 minutes.

Sunday dawned with the promise of no wet weather. The first practice session provided plenty of challenges while the track was toweling off from the wet Saturday. By the time the SMs took to the track for qualifying, the sun was out, and dry tires were on!

David Spencer gave a repeat performance of Saturday’s qualifying, snagging the pole position once again. Chris Williams improved on his wet runs to capture P2, followed by Chris Price in P3 to round out the qualifying podium. The #17 of Brian Murdick appeared in P4, followed by Hille and #22 TJ Graven in the third row, thus, setting the start with a cast of very familiar Great Lakes Spec Miatas in the first three rows.

When the green flag dropped, Spencer once again lead the drag race to China Beach beating Williams and taking the early lead, the rest of pack followed suit, and another perfect start and very clean SM race had begun. After just two laps, the running order matched the qualifying order, this time Spencer was hounded by Williams instead of Paderta. The fun continued with relatively little passing in the front but loads of action a little farther back in the pack. The #113 of Jay North, the #56 of Jonathan Davis, the #46 of Ben Paderta, the #12 of Dan Harding, the #66 of Rich Strickland, the #37 of Nick DeCuzzi, and the #77 of Scott Berlin, all improved upon their qualifying positions by at least 4 places….Davis improved from P19 in qualifying to P12 in the race to take away the hard charger award for Sunday’s race.

Back at the front of the pack, Spencer still couldn’t put distance between himself and the #55 of Williams, until Williams fell out of the race with a mechanical issue. Price replaced Williams on Spencer’s bumper, soon to be followed by Murdick in the P2 spot. In the end, Spencer held off all comers, and completed the weekend sweep, crossing the line in P1 and grabbing his second checkered flag. Murdick wheeled his #17 car to the P2 spot, and TJ Graven made a last corner pass to edge Chris Price out for the remaining podium spot by a margin of just .026 seconds(time to check where you mounted your transponder)! Price took home P4, while the #35 of Frank Todaro had an excellent showing in P5 finishing ahead of Hille in P6 by a mere .089 seconds, another photo finish!

Matt Paderta, the #21 of John Guthrie, Bob Keller, and Jay North, rounded out the top ten in a very tough opening weekend field of racers. Dan Harding pulled the highest spot for a rookie at P16, while TJ Graven took the fastest lap in his run to the podium, turning a 1:47.027 on the club course.

The series moves to Putnam Park on May 11-13, 2012, after a great opening weekend at Mid-Ohio!

Chris Williams

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Speedycrw

Speedycrw

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
OK Justin, here is my tale of woe, in video format......

^%$# coil pack connector.....

Chris Williams

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Mr. Spencer is showing off some talent.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

lets see videos! :) I posted mine up Justin0124

Justin we had a nice close finish at the end. I wish I could take back turn 7 at the last lap but it is what it is. just have to wait till next time, I was in the brakes hard trying to stay off of Chris Price and got out of sync, could not get the car back into gear to save my life. It was tons of fun racing with you guys. Maybe at Putnam.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Matt Montes

Matt Montes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Check the position of the e-brake lever in the video.

I hope that wasn't the reason. I feel like an idiot. Can't see the handbrake really with the hans on. Have to get used to racing with it.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99
Matt, if you do not drive the car on the road, I would highly suggest taking that parking brake off the car, and all associated hardware.

K. Webb