Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:CDR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
I was attempting to set up my new to me 99 this weekend and I ran into an issue with the front camber. I can only get 1.9 on the left and 1.7 on the right. The ride height is 4 5/8 and it is 50% cross weight. Any ideas on what can be off or what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

Matt

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Sounds like something is bent.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
That’s what I thought at first but what could be bent that would affect both sides equally? Seems strange to me that both LCA could be bent the same.

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

That’s what I thought at first but what could be bent that would affect both sides equally? Seems strange to me that both LCA could be bent the same.

I hate to offer this explaination, but both LCA's are attached to the sub frame. If it's bent in a "bellied-up" mode it would give you the result you're seeing.
Rick
  • Glenn likes this

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
Is there any way to measure this and specs I should look for? I would like to be sure before dropping $400 and missing my first race.

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Kind of rough but measure in between the two camber eccentrics and compare to a good subframe/car.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Is there any way to measure this and specs I should look for? I would like to be sure before dropping $400 and missing my first race.

As Charlie mentioned measure & compare to another hopefully known good sub frame. For a tool look at Advanced Autosports tools, Dave Wheeler has a fixed tool to measure the rear eccentrics. Make a similar tool out of wood with one end being fixed & the other end being a pivot. Just like with a measuring caliper touch the ouutside diameter of the two ecentric bolts, carefully remove the tool & measure with a tape measure.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
It's probably difficult to bend the subframe without also bending the lower control arms. With ones I've had bent that showed similar numbers, I coudn't see it or determine for myself using a straight edge but a really knowledgeable friend was able to eyeball it and say, "Yeah I think that LCA is bent." Sure enough, it was. I replaced a front subframe last year that turned out to be bent and try as I did, I couldn't find a way to measure it was bent even as it sat on the floor. I thought I was wasting a lot of time and it was subtle but cost me about half a degree of camber.

Point being, you might have a helluva time trying to figure out what really is bent but if you suspect it's the subframe and plan to change that, consider that the LCAs probably bent also in whatever event bent the freakin huge piece that doubles as the engine support, and be ready to swap out the little bent up sheet metal bits that hang off it holding the bottom of the upright too.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

makus0025

makus0025

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:25

I was attempting to set up my new to me 99 this weekend and I ran into an issue with the front camber. I can only get 1.9 on the left and 1.7 on the right. The ride height is 4 5/8 and it is 50% cross weight. Any ideas on what can be off or what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

Matt

Matt
I am new to SM and I had this same problem last year
But mine was an easy fix I didn't have blue printed front spindles

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Car Number:14
I'll pass along a further note on camber. With a brand new 90/97 sub frame & brand new control arms. With all OEM parts (none cheated up) I can get - 3* camber at all four corners. Please note, I didn't say how much clearance I have to the FatCat bump stops.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
IMHO it is entirely possible that both LCA's are bent. I bent both of mine in a rather minor off 2 weeks ago at TWS in the rain. The most I could get was 2.1'ish. That is on a 99' with a good front subframe (already been replaced) sitting at 4 1/2" ride height. The LCA's are extremely easy to bend on these cars. If I were in your position, I would replace both LCA's first. If I still couldn't get the kind of camber I wanted then I would start looking harder at the subframe.

The most camber I can get in my car with a brand new subframe and new LCA and upper control arms is -2.8. That was at 4 1/4" ride height. YMMV.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
What are you using to take the measurement, is the floor totally level? I was doing measurements on my lift, I leveled the lift., but on one of my ramps there awe a bit of flex, which distorted my numbers.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
one other ting to check is get a heavy crow bar in there and pull on all the control arms when you have them loose and then tightne them down a bit and see what you get.

K. Webb