Photo

Recommendations for wheels and steering wheel.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

PRFGDWRNCH

PRFGDWRNCH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:New England
  • Car Year:1992
Hi Mazda Racers,
I am new to SM and am posting for the first time. My car is a 1992. It was last raced five years ago and has needed quite a lot of work.
At this point I am looking for recommendations for types of wheels and vendors. Also the same for a steering wheel (already have a removable hub).
Thanks in advance
Dave

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
I've used these for over two years now without any issues. Can't beat the price. Colors are silver, grey or black. 30mm offset. I then use a 5mm spacer.

http://www.tirerack....2_14&sort=Brand

Bill-
  • Gary Norris likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
I use team dynamics wheels...but that's because it's what the car came with, and what I purchased once from Phil's tire service while at the track and I needed wheels.

I have a momo steering wheel....again, it came with the car. That being said any car I've driven has had a momo....might say something

Welcome to the North East btw! My inlaws are in Ct, and the shop that does my motor work and suspension work is up there.

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I've used these for over two years now without any issues. Can't beat the price. Colors are silver, grey or black. 30mm offset. I then use a 5mm spacer.

http://www.tirerack....2_14&sort=Brand

Bill-

I use these as well, very good and easily replaced. You can get them in 25 mm as well, they are listed for the E30 BMW, but they fit on the miata, same wheel, just 25 mm instead of 30mm and one valve stem instead of two.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
best steering wheel too me is the momo model 78 in 330mm
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
+1 for the C1M 30m and use 5mm spacers to tune. Can't beat the price/fast shipping and they seem to be tough as nails (i.e. stand up to curbs, offs, etc.). +1 as well for the Model 78 Momo.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Or you could buy from one of the venders that support this site

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Hi Mazda Racers,
I am new to SM and am posting for the first time. My car is a 1992. It was last raced five years ago and has needed quite a lot of work.
At this point I am looking for recommendations for types of wheels and vendors. Also the same for a steering wheel (already have a removable hub).
Thanks in advance
Dave

For wheels, I like the 15" x 7", 25mm offset, hub centric D-Force wheels that Advanced Autosports sells. Legal weight. Nice looking. Easy to clean. Also, if you read up on their engineering, they say that the weight is concentrated and designed for decreased inertia (if my memory is correct anyway)
http://www.advanced-...865ea473618a2cd

I also have a set of Team Dynamics that I got from our awesome and local to SFR region wheel and tire dealer and race supporter AIM Tire - http://www.aimtire.com/
Ron at AIM usually has boat loads of Team Dynamic wheels in Spec Miata sizes. Great wheels also but I like the look of the D-Force so I now have a set of each.

Steering wheels are going to be highly subjective. I tend to prefer the various Momo wheels that I have tried since the rim is generally thicker than the few Sparco wheels that I have tried. The one OMP that I tried at the local store was thinner than I prefer as well. Definitely recommend a suede wheel. The leather wheels feel a bit slippery under gloves.

For quick release hubs, I really like the NRG 2.5 quick release system. It is very solid with no slop. My cage builder TC Design turned me onto them. I got mine on Amazon using credit card points (so basically free!). The NRG has a short hub which wound up being too "short" for me positioning the wheel too far away. I wound up using a Momo hub adaptor with the NRG quick release mounted to it. That put the wheel in the right location for me.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

cpdenis

cpdenis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Number:09
Purely theoretical questions/comments.
Since it seems we have the choice between 25mm and 30mm offset, why would you use a 30mm offset with a 5mm spacer. Im asking as a new purchase option. I understand if your current sets are 30mm but if your buying new, why wouldn't you just buy 25mm offset?
Does this apply to all years?
Is the spacer included in the 13lbs weight limit?
I searched the inertia mentioned above. Anyone care to clarify?
What would you use on a Mazda 2?
Thanks
CP

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
WHEELS: D-Force

STEERING WHEEL: E-Bay (I by two, one for spare)
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
I have sold a lot of Team Dynamics wheels over the years. I still keep a few in stock.

I am currently selling a lot of the d-force wheels. My agreement with d-force is that I am the only reseller of the gloss black with polished lip. I have to buy them a lot at a time to get the special design.

The classified ad on this website expired, but it will be going back up again this afternoon. They are available at www.advanced-autosports.com for $129.95 each. Buy a set of 4 for $500 and get a set of lugnuts for free, and flat fee shipping of $10.95 for the set.

On steering wheels, I sell more inexpensive wheels over the internet. But, when people come into the store, they will almost always get an expensive wheel. I believe the best wheel on the market (also one of the most expensive) is the Personal in 320mm for a Miata. I have started selling a lot of Sabelt wheels as they offer a good value.

Just my biased opinion
Dave
  • Glenn likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I use these as well, very good and easily replaced. You can get them in 25 mm as well, they are listed for the E30 BMW, but they fit on the miata, same wheel, just 25 mm instead of 30mm and one valve stem instead of two.

Jim

Grrr...I didn't know that. Just got a set of the "Miata" ones. Why do they have 2 valve stem holes?
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

+1 for the C1M 30m and use 5mm spacers to tune. Can't beat the price/fast shipping and they seem to be tough as nails (i.e. stand up to curbs, offs, etc.). +1 as well for the Model 78 Momo.

+2 I guess. These are what I have as well...ha ha, I'm just getting ready to do my first race with this stuff so take it for what it's worth. ;)
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.

Ken Wilkinson

Ken Wilkinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Number:228
Regarding the D-Force wheels, has anyone else seen any failure issues with these wheels? Several friends who have been using a larger size (17") on their BMW's have had failures and I know of a pro driver who had a 15" D-Force wheel fail on him (without impact) this past weekend.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Grrr...I didn't know that. Just got a set of the "Miata" ones. Why do they have 2 valve stem holes?

They have two holes to purge out air when filling with Nitrogen, the E30 version has only one hole

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Purely theoretical questions/comments.
Since it seems we have the choice between 25mm and 30mm offset, why would you use a 30mm offset with a 5mm spacer. Im asking as a new purchase option. I understand if your current sets are 30mm but if your buying new, why wouldn't you just buy 25mm offset?
Does this apply to all years?
Is the spacer included in the 13lbs weight limit?
I searched the inertia mentioned above. Anyone care to clarify?
What would you use on a Mazda 2?
Thanks
CP

The car was designed for street use with a narrower track in the rear to promote understeer rather than oversteer as a Joe Schmo safety feature. Some people will put spacers just on the rear to help get rid of the understeer. I did until I got my setup dialed in better.

"Minimum weight of wheel shall be 13 lbs without spacers."

The moment of inertia is the amount of energy required to get something rotating. Move the weight further from the axis and it takes more to turn it. It's a function of distance squared so having the same weight twice as far from the axle takes 4x the energy to get that bit of weight up to speed.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
I use round black ones :rotfl:
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

I use round black ones :rotfl:

At least they start out that way..................... :glare:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

They have two holes to purge out air when filling with Nitrogen, the E30 version has only one hole

Jim

Is it fair to say that this isn't a feature you've cared about, as evidenced by the fact that you like those rims? And obviously the extra .5 lbs in weight over the d-force hasn't slowed you down?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
I haven't been running nitrogen much the last few seasons. Who says my wheels are .5 lb heavy? :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users