Photo

Recommendations for wheels and steering wheel.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Who says my wheels are .5 lb heavy? :)

I'm afraid to ask.... :) Removing one of the spokes? :)

PRFGDWRNCH

PRFGDWRNCH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:New England
  • Car Year:1992
Thanks guys,
I went with the C1M wheels. They arrived yesterday.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
Are people still happy with the Tirerack wheels? I heard of a failure last year (at Watkins Glen), and was wondering if there were others that had any problems?
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I have usurped them for two seasons no issues.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I have usurped them for two seasons no issues.

usurped past participle, past tense of u·surp (Verb)
  • Take (a position of power or importance) illegally or by force.
  • Take the place of (someone in a position of power) illegally; supplant.
A bunch of illegal stuff going on with those wheels Frank? :)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Son had one bend on the inner lip driving off track a tad and popping in and out of a nasty little hole. Interesting note the wheel would hold air with a Toyo but leak with a Hoosier. Wheel has sense been replaced. No issues with any of our 5 sets, pot hole notwithstanding.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DamonB06

DamonB06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Number:06
Has anyone tried these out yet? Any pictures of them on the car?

Posted Image

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
Damon, I saw those at SafeRacer...look beautiful...but a little heavier and a little pricier.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

usurped past participle, past tense of u·surp (Verb)

• Take (a position of power or importance) illegally or by force.
  • Take the place of (someone in a position of power) illegally; supplant.
A bunch of illegal stuff going on with those wheels Frank? :)

No it's my I pad it thinks it knows what to say. So if I do not proof it who knows what it will say next.

Should be, i have used them with no issues

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
I have about 6 sets of these. No issues over the last 2 1/2 years.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted Image

These fail my Race Wheel Optimality Scoring Algorithm, which says the best wheel has the fewest spokes, all radiuses are larger than my finger wrapped in a rag, and the powdercoated finish is "Brake Dust Black".

Ignore this algorithm if you do not clean your wheels, or you have someone else do it :)
  • Glenn, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 2 others like this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

These fail my Race Wheel Optimality Scoring Algorithm, which says the best wheel has the fewest spokes, all radiuses are larger than my finger wrapped in a rag, and the powdercoated finish is "Brake Dust Black".

Ignore this algorithm if you do not clean your wheels, or you have someone else do it :)

Since I'm not good enough to have such an algorithm yet (grease on order), these tick all of my boxes... Sexy, different, round, legal, and black (who the hale cleans black race wheels anyway?).

Besides... these girls deliver them when you order at least 2 sets ;)

Posted Image

Alex Bolanos - #57 

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
I have been running the wrong wheel.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

DamonB06

DamonB06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Number:06
Alex, those wheels look great on your car. I still really like them, even if they are hard to clean. Congratulations on the momo sponsorship as well.

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I have been running the wrong wheel.

You have, Momo really did do their homework on these Podium wheels. They looked at everything from the old "ultra optimized" 949 6UL wheels to the budget minded Tirerack C1Ms and came up with something that combines all of the good qualities of previous offerings. Here are some of my notes from testing the prototypes last year:

- Centralizing the wheel's mass seemed like a great idea but worked about as well as running water in the rear differential. Some wheels we've all used that claimed to do this for performance wound up bending at harsh tracks like PBIR, Road Atlanta, and Road America. Extra material was added to the inside of the rim perimeter to ensure the Podiums won't bend easily.

- Our beloved Hoosier spec tire has a nasty habit of rotating on the wheel during braking and acceleration, no bueno. Dry mounting helps but the Podium is specifically designed to combat this. The bead seat is designed to have maximum surface area and is treated with a process that increases friction.

- Spokes are inset to avoid wheel damage when stacking/dropping face down, seems obvious but there are wheels that get damaged this way.

- The lip of the wheel has a flat section molded for easy camber/toe gauge placement/consistency.

I should have a few sets with me at COTA if anyone wants to check them out. :thumbsup:

Alex Bolanos - #57 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

- Spokes are inset to avoid wheel damage when stacking/dropping face down, seems obvious but there are wheels that get damaged this way.

Not to mention the spokes are inset so the the spokes dont rip off the wheel in side to side contact like the old Team dynamics Chariot looking wheels :huh:
  • Alex Bolanos likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I should have a few sets with me at COTA if anyone wants to check them out. :thumbsup:

A few sets of the momo girls? Let me know when I can come by for an inspection. I usually like to try things out before I buy though.
  • Alex Bolanos and Jim Drago like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA