NV Racer

NV Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:70
I received my new Sparco PRO ADV seat now I need to mount it. I need it close to floor as possible. Are there any prefab mounts that allow mounting close to floor? I already removed the rear humps to mount the original aluminum seat. I need some ideas.

Dennis

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
TC Design's seat mounts should do the trick. Give him a call: http://www.tcdesignfab.com/
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac
The PRO Adv is probably one of the toughest to mount in a Miata. I had one in my 99 for a while before switching to a Racetech. The ADV is a very nice seat though. You won't be able to get the seat near low enough and centered without removing the front crossbar and notching the tunnel to get another 3-3.5" of flat floor to work with. After you notch the tunnel it is a tight fit but much more manageable. I used the Sparco steel brackets with the L turned under the seat. I can give you some tips on mounting it if you like, just shoot me a PM if so. I just received one of the East Street tunnel notch panels and after looking it over I wouldn't go any other route for notching the tunnel. You could fab something up but why bother? The ESR piece looks to be a piece of cake to mount and looks good as well.

Mark

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Today is my day to say nice things about other peoples products.

Buy the East street panel. We have installed a few so far and they are great.

You will need to remove the front seat crossbar.

I use the Sabelt brackets, because I am a Sabelt dealer. But you need the 90* bent ones. They look like an "L". Do not get the ones with multiple bends that look like an upside down "7". They will cost you 2" of side to side room over the "L" shaped brackets.

You may not be able to get the seat perfectly centered on the steering wheel. Don't sweat it. Once on the track you will forget the slight offcenterness. Chevettes where all off center as was a Ferrari TestaRossa's. I think that is the only thing those 2 cars have in common.

Dave
  • svvs likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
I'm about 5'10" and wear pants with a 32" length (inseam?). In my 1990, we did not have to cut up the trans tunnel or pound anything to make it fit. If the seat is not centered, I haven't noticed it yet. YMMV...

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I'm about 5'10" and wear pants with a 32" length (inseam?). In my 1990, we did not have to cut up the trans tunnel or pound anything to make it fit. If the seat is not centered, I haven't noticed it yet. YMMV...

We did the same...but had to cut a little on the door for the shoulder wing. It would be better to have the seat more towards the center of the car just for the simple fact of the location of the Halo in relation to the upper portion of the cage. Helmet will hit both at the same time. Any suggestions or something anyone has done(that doesn't involve duct tape) to add padding to the Halo on the driver door side?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

We did the same...but had to cut a little on the door for the shoulder wing. It would be better to have the seat more towards the center of the car just for the simple fact of the location of the Halo in relation to the upper portion of the cage. Helmet will hit both at the same time. Any suggestions or something anyone has done(that doesn't involve duct tape) to add padding to the Halo on the driver door side?

Tony used a BFH on that part of the door. I made a further adjustment as I needed to move the seat forward an inch after the seat padding adjusted itself to my body (i.e. compressed) after a few races.

You are correct on the halo and the top side door bar. The halo is just a little too wide for this car. Would be great if it were just a little narrower. My helmet has made contact with the SFI padding on that bar in a spin. I suspect duct tape is the solution unless anyone has a contact at Sparco...

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I dropped a plumb from the steering column, and drew a line parallel to the steering column on the floor pan to mark the centerline for the seat. I have a 16" Ultrashield VS Halo seat, and a Wheeler cage. I installed it myself, and very carefiully positioned the driver's cage side bar to maximize clearance to the halo. Even still I make contact with the halo padding only about 1" before the SFI padding.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

NV Racer

NV Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:70
Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning towards using L-Brackets as Dave suggested. Jim's prefab panel looks like it would save a trip the the fabricator. But now it brings up some more questions. I was using the stock mounting holes for the lap belts. By the look of the panel it will remove the tunnel side mounting location. Where would one attach the tunnel side lap belt? Never paid much attention to where others have been mounting their lap belts.

Thanks, Dennis

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
One more thing, you may want to relocate your door mirrors. The halo made it hard to see out of those mirrors (for me anyway). I moved mine forward 6" per the rules allowance.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

One more thing, you may want to relocate your door mirrors. The halo made it hard to see out of those mirrors (for me anyway). I moved mine forward 6" per the rules allowance.

+1

As did I.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning towards using L-Brackets as Dave suggested. Jim's prefab panel looks like it would save a trip the the fabricator. But now it brings up some more questions. I was using the stock mounting holes for the lap belts. By the look of the panel it will remove the tunnel side mounting location. Where would one attach the tunnel side lap belt? Never paid much attention to where others have been mounting their lap belts.

Thanks, Dennis

Though I can't answer your mount question(relocation)I suggest you visit this site regarding mount locations and angles. Not sure if the optimal sub belt attachment is possible in our cars(about directly under seat)but this information may be helpful if you end up having to move mounting points anyways...and just an informative read!

http://www.schrothra...nstructions.pdf

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63
Tony/Joe at TCDesign did mine. BFH on the tunnel and the door for the shoulder wing. not perfectly centered to the steering wheel but works great.
I ended up removing the bottom padding for extra clearance at the top and use that extra padding on my lower back instead ;-)
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BrianZ

BrianZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
What I do all the time is drill a new hole once the east street panel is in and mount the lap belt using the the new hole with a 3" x 3" x 1/8 plate on the inside of the trans tunnel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users