Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
Trying to figure out window new mounting.. Anyone have any pics of theirs ? I've got a full NASCAR cage set up and would love to see a few pics
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
I'll assume you mean left side. I have pics of mine in this thread. (Note I have more padding on the bars than in the pics. I was still in the process of converting the poodle foam that came with the car to the dual density FIA/BSCI foam.) Miata Cage has the net like I have and the bars etc. There's also this style of net that doesn't require making a cusom lower cable, but it is a bit pricey.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I use a method more like Miata cage. I don't have very good pics of the mounting but we attach a piece of flat stock to two tabs welded to the top door bar using small bolts, 8-10mm or so. The bottom of the net slides through that. I use the Speedway quick release kits (the also have spring loaded and latch kits). I'd been using a Speedway non SFI net but will switch to some sort of SFI net . Crow also has a pretty good SFI right side net too at a reasonable price. Remember, SFI specs 27.1 nets like belts, two year cycle.

FYI SFI 27.1 for the net testing procedure...

http://www.sfifounda...27.1_101106.pdf

While not my car, this pic shows the way I do it. In the Miata though the height of the door bar may be an issue.

Posted Image

joeg5982

joeg5982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:wny-scca
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:15
Custom-sized nets are not all that expensive. They are much better than adapting a standard-sized net with cables and the like.
  • dstevens likes this

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Custom-sized nets are not all that expensive. They are much better than adapting a standard-sized net with cables and the like.

Good idea. In Neckcar they never would have passed that tethered net. It's gotta be hard mounted. I'll call Crow and see what they say about custom SM nets. After seeing this thread I'm going to mock my net this week and see if my bar is high enough. It was with my old 17" Kirkey seat. I've held off on the cage as I sold my seat and after what happened at Laguna last year want a full containment.
Any idea who else might do a custom net for not an arm and a leg? (under $100 perhaps)

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
I sell a lot of these... It can be used with just about any mounting kit (top) and the bottom straps with adjuster buckles make fitment easy with any cage.

Posted Image
http://www.weekend-r...7-1--p_442.html
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

I sell a lot of these... It can be used with just about any mounting kit (top) and the bottom straps with adjuster buckles make fitment easy with any cage.

Posted Image
http://www.weekend-r...7-1--p_442.html

Only issue is does it have the double webbing? Last one we replaced cause the driver had a hard time focusing on the mirror.:)

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Only issue is does it have the double webbing? Last one we replaced cause the driver had a hard time focusing on the mirror. :)

Nope, single mesh webbing. But...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDaONrHK1f8
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Nope, single mesh webbing. But...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDaONrHK1f8

LOL but what is beside you should be clearly visible before you make "the move"

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

LOL but what is beside you should be clearly visible before you make "the move"

FYI I will be ordering one of yours this week!
  • john mueller likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I use a method more like Miata cage. I don't have very good pics of the mounting but we attach a piece of flat stock to two tabs welded to the top door bar using small bolts, 8-10mm or so. The bottom of the net slides through that. I use the Speedway quick release kits (the also have spring loaded and latch kits). I'd been using a Speedway non SFI net but will switch to some sort of SFI net . Crow also has a pretty good SFI right side net too at a reasonable price. Remember, SFI specs 27.1 nets like belts, two year cycle.

FYI SFI 27.1 for the net testing procedure...

http://www.sfifounda...27.1_101106.pdf

While not my car, this pic shows the way I do it. In the Miata though the height of the door bar may be an issue.

Posted Image

Your may come to dislike that ribbon style net. I learned that the hard way :) I can't express enough how those seemingly very thin ribbons always seem to block the exact spot on the mirror that you are trying to use :) You can swap with a mesh one no problem, but very nice job on the install

Jim
  • svvs likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:12?
+1 on the mesh vs the ribbon.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91
+1 on single mesh.... with the double mesh I can't see the guy trying to run me off the road!!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Good idea. In Neckcar they never would have passed that tethered net. It's gotta be hard mounted.

It's steel cable tied to the roll cage. It isn't going anywhere. No matter what size the net, you still have to attach it. I don't see how a custom net is going to change anything. Personally I love the setup I have because I'm not banging my head nor knees on the sharp edges of many of the setups you see. Granted I'm 6'2" so it isn't that easy getting in and out, but my garage mate has a tab similar to the one in dstevens' pic and if I had $1 for every time I've banged my head on it getting out of his car. Well I could afford a custom sized net. :P

That's what I linked to in my post. I have one as well since my other net is getting long in the tooth. Though window nets are low on the priority list so until tech says something, I'm going back to getting my brakes working. :glare:

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:42
Todd, that's a great idea thanks!! I think I'll go that way.. BTW hope to get back to SLC again soon I'll buy you a beer or three
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Todd, that's a great idea thanks!! I think I'll go that way.. BTW hope to get back to SLC again soon I'll buy you a beer or three

Bring the car back out and come racing. Next NASA event is May 11-13th. (HPDE/TT if the car isn't ready for W2W.) Worst case come out and spectate. Cool garage and cold beers are waiting!

NASA Utah SM Director

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Your may come to dislike that ribbon style net. I learned that the hard way :) I can't express enough how those seemingly very thin ribbons always seem to block the exact spot on the mirror that you are trying to use :) You can swap with a mesh one no problem, but very nice job on the install

Three seasons and it's OK so far though the cars are a lot bigger. I come from a land where blocking, hard, swerve all the time blocking is the rule. When it comes net time I'll check out the mesh.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

It's steel cable tied to the roll cage. It isn't going anywhere. No matter what size the net, you still have to attach it. I don't see how a custom net is going to change anything. Personally I love the setup I have because I'm not banging my head nor knees on the sharp edges of many of the setups you see. Granted I'm 6'2" so it isn't that easy getting in and out, but my garage mate has a tab similar to the one in dstevens' pic and if I had $1 for every time I've banged my head on it getting out of his car. Well I could afford a custom sized net. :P

That's what I linked to in my post. I have one as well since my other net is getting long in the tooth. Though window nets are low on the priority list so until tech says something, I'm going back to getting my brakes working. :glare:

I'd suggest making your net a bigger priority though brakes are important too. If there is too much flex and you go over or off into a wall and the net flex allows your head to contact the pavement or wall no good will come of that.

What are you hitting your head on with the quick release setup? The rod is in the top of the net and drops when released. Both retaining clips should be far enough out of the way there won't be an issue. Sounds like there is something wrong with the setup. I'm 6-4 and haven't had an issue and I've been climbing in and out of the window.

As for custom, if the rules package requires a 27.1 net you'd need to find someone to get it tested and stickered.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

I'd suggest making your net a bigger priority though brakes are important too. If there is too much flex and you go over or off into a wall and the net flex allows your head to contact the pavement or wall no good will come of that.

1) I have a RaceTech seat with a Halo and of course HANS.
2) My head would some how have to get past the rollbar that won't even let me look left as far as I'd like (not inconceivable with the forces of an impact.)
3) The net is tight as a drum. When you "lock" it in place with the upper rod it is stretched. There is still the upper interior of the door which pushes in the net even further when you close the door. It's passed numerous annuals and races with both SCCA and NASA. :noidea: I'm not worried about it. It's really no different than the principal of the yellow straps of the other linked net. When you pull it taught it is taught.

What are you hitting your head on with the quick release setup?

He has a SpecBoxster and the front retaining clip is sharp, long and frickin' right where my head needs to go to get out. He has a super deep Recaro seat that doesn't allow you to twist much. Honestly I don't know if I could pass the 10 second test in his car. In any case, I'm not a fan of anything that might get caught up on the HANS when you are trying to get out of the car in a panic. Especially when it isn't needed.

NASA Utah SM Director

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

1) I have a RaceTech seat with a Halo and of course HANS.

snip

He has a SpecBoxster and the front retaining clip is sharp, long and frickin' right where my head needs to go to get out.

The halo is the thing right there. I got a good offer for my Kirkey and took it. Talked to Gary at Butler yesterday, 3 to 6 weeks on the seats. I still have this BP drop/dizzy thing happening so it's going to be well past that until I can race. I've looked at the Sparco seats but I don't know. A bit more dough but I'm not so sure about the fit for me, now 6-4 and 253 as of this morning (down from 307 in Jan) thanks to Pit Fit, my docs and the South Beach Diet they modified for me.

I see where you are coming from on the forward latch. Interesting point about the retaining straps on the adjustable net. I don't see a methodology in 27.1 for test just the straps but I suppose if they were attached and the piece met the drop specs it would be OK. I guess I'm old and set in my ways, I like to see a fixed anchor on a net bottom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users