5 replies to this topic

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Howdy folks,

I've been a long time 1.6 guy, but I'm building a 99 for my wife and I'm learning all the nuances of this car. The donor motors crank position sensor mounting spot was completely flat:

Posted Image

But on the new motor that I bought, there's a "nub" sticking out that seems like it would help to locate the crank angle sensor at a particular angle.

Posted Image

The problem is, to install the crank position sensor, I'll have to grind off that nub. Is there an updated sensor that I should be using that has a slot for the nub? Or is there an incorrect part installed in my brand new motor?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Dean,

I can tell you my 99 looks like your donor block, and my crank sensor also looks like the one in your picture.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
The old motor in the photo has a 99 oil pump on it. The new engine has an early 1.8 oil pump. Everything about the pumps are interchangeable for the exception of where the crank sensor mounts. If you are using an adjustable timing wheel just grind off the nub and set timing appropriately. The location of the mounting point is slightly different between the two so your timing will be different if you dont use an adjustable wheel.

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Thanks, Bob. Exactly what I needed to know. I'm using an adjustable wheel, so it should be easy.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Maniac motorsports12

Maniac motorsports12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:SJR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

Does anyone know what that gap is between the 4 pickups on the crank plate and the crank sensor on a 99?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

set between .035-.050

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users