• Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67

Since this was an SCCA race (no?) let's look at the SCCA rules:

---
Drivers may not pass the pace car until it pulls off the track and the pole
car will maintain the speed of the pace car before it pulled off track
until the green flag
---

I don't see anything about the pole car getting to set the pace. Of course the reality is if you don't roll the start as the pole car, you might as well kiss 1st place goodbye by the time you get to turn one (often by the time you get to start/finish.) ;) When was the last time you saw someone black flagged at a club race for jumping the start? In several hundred races I've never seen it. Therein lies the rub.

Todd I never said the pole sitter jumps the start qoute sets the pace
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

I don't see anything about the pole car getting to set the pace. Of course the reality is if you don't roll the start as the pole car, you might as well kiss 1st place goodbye by the time you get to turn one (often by the time you get to start/finish.) ;) When was the last time you saw someone black flagged at a club race for jumping the start? In several hundred races I've never seen it. Therein lies the rub.

As you've alluded to, the NASA and SCCA rules quoted are both great stories but reality differs. The pace of the leaders sets the pace for the race start, regardless of how fast the pace car was going before it pulled off. If the front two rows look ok then the start gets the green, starts really don't ever get waved off in club racing due to schedule constraints. Almost every instance I've seen of the leaders maintaining the pace car's speed prior to the flag drop results in a large turn one accident or the leaders ending up in 10th place by turn 3.
  • Keith Andrews likes this

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Todd I never said the pole sitter jumps the start qoute sets the pace

Same difference. If I can set the pace, then my pace can be full throttle. ;) My point was that you are supposed to maintain the pace, not set it (of your choosing.) Of course as we all know reality is a bit different.

starts really don't ever get waved off in club racing due to schedule constraints.

We've had two races (out of 8?) so far this year waved off. Since we run timed races, waving off a start doesn't really affect our schedule. Just eats up green flag time.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
We are splitting hairs. Its all a matter of degree. I have never had a race waived off, even when they should have. But to this point. Most of the time in our SCCA and NASA regions the pole sitter engages in some kind of acceleration, going to the green flag, It may only be an 5mph increase or More but I would not expect a waive off unless the field was fragmented. It pretty much expected that your going to be glued the bumper of the guy ahead no matter what speed.

So while the rules does say the poll sitter maintains the pace car's pace in the real world it often does not happen that way. That is when we have a pace car we often have to do it with the pole sitter. I would rather have the start be steady or progressively accelerating than getting checked up on.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

It pretty much expected that your going to be glued the bumper of the guy ahead no matter what speed.

Not possible if the guy ahead goes full throttle unless you're psychic or have an acceleration advantage. At least, not until the draft starts playing into it.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83

Not possible if the guy ahead goes full throttle unless you're psychic or have an acceleration advantage. At least, not until the draft starts playing into it.

draft on the start what are you talking about please explain rob
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
I am scared of clowns they dont let you speak I may have to go to therapy after this one

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
I think rob is trying to bait me its a conspireing situation
im too smart for that one the only person who drafts up to people before the start are people who jump the start lol

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
Man, that video is so leading edge, now that gay marriages are OK.

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
ya im suprised the moderators didnt take this one off
  • Tom Hampton likes this

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

ya im suprised the moderators didnt take this one off

Now THAT is some funny !#$!#$ right there. LOVE the video.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users