Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Qualifying 1 and 2 are in the books and Sundays race looks to be close. While the field is quite small, there are some top flight drivers and times are very close.

In Q1, Cliff Brown, Jim Drago, Pat Sandlin and I drove nose to tail. In lap 4 I was lucky to get the perfect draft off Drago and Sandlin to get the pole.

Unfortunately, on the pole lap, coming down into the final turn, T12, before the start/finish line, which is easy to do flat with your eyes closed, I almost spun out! Twice

It felt as though I had a flat left rear tire, and I immediately pulled over and drove the in lap really slowly.

What I did not know was that I had blown off a radiator hose and almost spun in my own coolant, but all the gauges were perfect, oil pressure 60psi, and temps never went above 215. To make a long story short, with no fluids I cooked the motor (so sorry Mike - it was a really great one) and OPM is working to change out my Rossini motor tonight.

Anyone recommend a good gauge/method to detect rapid coolant pressure loss??? Need some kind of warning light to warn when coolant pressure drops suddenly.

Q2 was after lunch in hotter conditions, and the morning times fortunately held up

Qualifying 1
Danny Steyn........... 1:43.725
Cliff Brown............... 1:44.063
Patrick Sandlin......... 1:44.070
Jim Drago................ 1:44.162
Chris Topping.......... 1:44.537

Qualifying 2

Jim Drago................ 1:45.085
Cliff Brown............... 1:45.198
Chris Topping.......... 1:45.736
Stephan Tisseront... 1:46.691
Dave Colledge......... 1:47.006

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26
Damn Danny that sucks. Hope you are able to get out there tomorrow. Regarding the gauging for that type of issue, I know the NASCAR guys have the same issue when they blow all the coolant out. There is nothing in there for the temp sensor, except hot air. They get the same result as you did.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76
>Anyone recommend a good gauge/method to detect rapid coolant pressure loss??? Need some kind of warning light to warn when coolant pressure drops suddenly.

Here you go Dany - Armando

http://www.summitrac...arts/LNG-40141/

Roger Caddell

Roger Caddell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
After a rock through the radiator at Thunderhill, we added a pressure sensor to the water system. Still running one in the off road trucks.

The other option is to move the water temp sensor to a point low in the system so it is still under water as the fluids leak out. Then you will see the remaining water increase in temp. A huge leak like a hose coming off dumps the water out so fast that this won't help but a small hole in a line or radiator you could catch. I would consider both.
  • dstevens likes this

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Qualifying 1 and 2 are in the books and Sundays race looks to be close. While the field is quite small, there are some top flight drivers and times are very close.

In Q1, Cliff Brown, Jim Drago, Pat Sandlin and I drove nose to tail. In lap 4 I was lucky to get the perfect draft off Drago and Sandlin to get the pole.

Unfortunately, on the pole lap, coming down into the final turn, T12, before the start/finish line, which is easy to do flat with your eyes closed, I almost spun out! Twice

It felt as though I had a flat left rear tire, and I immediately pulled over and drove the in lap really slowly.

What I did not know was that I had blown off a radiator hose and almost spun in my own coolant, but all the gauges were perfect, oil pressure 60psi, and temps never went above 215. To make a long story short, with no fluids I cooked the motor (so sorry Mike - it was a really great one) and OPM is working to change out my Rossini motor tonight.

Anyone recommend a good gauge/method to detect rapid coolant pressure loss??? Need some kind of warning light to warn when coolant pressure drops suddenly.

Q2 was after lunch in hotter conditions, and the morning times fortunately held up

Qualifying 1
Danny Steyn........... 1:43.725
Cliff Brown............... 1:44.063
Patrick Sandlin......... 1:44.070
Jim Drago................ 1:44.162
Chris Topping.......... 1:44.537

Qualifying 2

Jim Drago................ 1:45.085
Cliff Brown............... 1:45.198
Chris Topping.......... 1:45.736
Stephan Tisseront... 1:46.691
Dave Colledge......... 1:47.006

Bill Agha developed a cluster of gauges and lights because he had the same issue with no water no info. I believe you can buy it at autosportheaven.com
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

After a rock through the radiator at Thunderhill, we added a pressure sensor to the water system. Still running one in the off road trucks.

You're really just trying to get me to upgrade my Drack to a Pista, huh.... ;)

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
If someone has a solution to the water pressure issue that I can plug into my Traqdash, warning light, please post it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Motorsportheaven.com is the correct site. I don't have it listed yet but bill and I have a kit that we can sell that we have personally tested on our own cars and it works flawless on detecting water pressure drop since the temp gauges are not that effective. We will develop a price for the kit soon.
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I would be interested, I have an analog input in my TM that I can hook up a warning light if that would be compatible.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Number:48
Congrats to all. Sounds like fun, sorry cars got crashed but I guess that kinda thing happens in racing. Im sure you guys will get em fixed and shiny in no time. Good job JD and company.

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
So if your cap pops(releases pressure)for whatever reason does this create a false alarm of sorts?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
Congratulations Jim, I watched the timing and scoring. It looked like a good battle for the the win.

joe varble

joe varble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:buccaneer
Was watching at turn 10, just as the leaders turned in at 10A, back marker spun in front of them, cars went in all directions. Browns car must have been a good 4 feet in the air and i don't think he lost a spot.
  • Glenn likes this

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
We need video of that.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

So if your cap pops(releases pressure)for whatever reason does this create a false alarm of sorts?

No false alarm. If it's a pressure switch (which it probably is), no pressure means it's in alarm telling the truth.

If you want diagnostics, you better wire two.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA