Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Hope you and Danny can both load your video's, still cant belive those last two laps. do you know if the 58 car had a camera?

No camera in 58 car this weekend. I need to get him set up with a camera.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
and mic
  • Alex Bolanos likes this
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Congrats "Big D". I know you are happy to have a good weekend and get a solid win against tough competition.

Danny, sorry about the motor, Bill Agha's was one of those special motors too. Even as a competitior, who has to race against you guys, it is sad to see the death of really good engine. I'm sure Mr. Rossini will do his best to get your new engine up to speed before the Run-offs.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Hi guys

here is my video from my qualifying lap setting the pole behind Drago and Sandlin, and almost spinning out in my own fluids in the process. Honestly thought that I had a cut left rear tire, thats what it felt like. Hopefully next time it will happen in a corner again and I will know enough to just pull over and save the engine.

I suggest clicking through to YouTube to watch full screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9xo1OFHKK4

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Number:48
Good save Danny. that could have been ugly.

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
Danny,
Sweet lap. When you started the lap way off of D, and finished right on his bumper, you knew it was good. As to the cooling system deal.........I had the same issue with a brand new ASedan engine at the Runoffs at MidOhio. It had just dyno runs and a couple of Q sessions on it, when the hose came off, on lap 2 of the race. Cooked the engine (about 2X what the best SM motor goes for). I installed one of those pressure switches, with a warning light. It saved another engine a few seasons later. The first switch I used was not compatible with water, (go figure??) but they came up with a pressure switch that worked with water and that is the one they sell for the cooling system, now. See the early post with the link to that kit. I think it is Summit.
wheel

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56
I wonder what that lap would have been if you have not slipped in water.

Sucks about the motor.

Todd
Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
I saw that entire lap coming in my rear view. Pat and I were talking before the session and we figured anything that started with 44 would be a good number. I was on the radio the entire lap encouraging Pat as I saw Danny in the rear view and the gap he closed. I remember crossing the line and Pat saying, wow that was a 44.3, I said great, mine was a 44,2, but we just pulled Danny to the pole and about a 43.8. Ended up 43.7 :) Pat said, You think so? Yes, for sure :)

I didn't see the last bit though, nice save and really sucks about the engine!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
i agree nice save danny how is nelson mandella doing
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49
Here's another coolant loss detection solution, from a site sponsor.

http://www.ironcanyo...evel-alarm.html

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Here's another coolant loss detection solution, from a site sponsor.

http://www.ironcanyo...evel-alarm.html

do you know if this would plug into the analog input on the Traqdash display, which has an LED light on the dash unit?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
What I found interesting about the lap is that where you really made up the time was going up the hill from 1 through 6, rather than in the draft. Coming on to the back straight all the work was already done. Of course, the tow down the back kept the lap from being slower than one done alone, but the gain on those guys was over by 7.
wheel

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Car Year:2003
Danny,
That was scary but a great save (two saves i guess). Sorry about engine.

Newbie question. For T2, do you lift at all before the brake/downshift for T3 or are you flat out around T2 until you brake?

thanks
Brendan

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Flat around two, it really is not a turn for us in SM.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Tech did what I thought was a VERY good test post race. They checked fifth gear and final drive ratios. I have seen and heard many 5th gears that don't sound like mine.. They checked the top three, all passed, but I think that is a test that will find someone on the wrong side of the rules at some point.

How did they check the gearing?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
They had a small measuring wheel , the jacked up the car, measured tire circumference. Then they pulled all the plugs, put the car in fifth and rotated the engine and measured. It was a procedure Sam Henry ( Springfield dyno and SMAC member) wrote up a few years ago for the tech manual

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
OK, I have given up posting my video...

I tried that TQ convert on Traqmate to WMV file, was planning on putting in Movie maker and posting.. It is in slow motion :(
Anyone have any ideas how to get an MTS file on to You tube that doesn't require a doctorate degree, please let me know. I will post it if I can figure it out.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Car Year:2003

Flat around two, it really is not a turn for us in SM.

Thanks jim. So i aim for telephone pole on the way up - correct? And then turn left a bit, then brake & shift.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26
Thanks Jim.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Thanks jim. So i aim for telephone pole on the way up - correct? And then turn left a bit, then brake & shift.

Embarrassed to say not sure what pole your seeing :) The Pombos helped me with that corner, after one , I go further drivers right than many as it completely makes two straight and helps the entry into three. I guess the apex of two is brake / downshift area for three actually.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users