Garrett Richardson

Garrett Richardson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:130
Hi, I am new in the Spec Miata community and trying to get my feet wet into SM racing. I have a 1990 which I have made some upgrades within the limitations of the rules. Currently I am having trouble finding a paint shop for my car. All the local guys want over $2000 for just the outside and roll cage that I will be installing shortly. Any ideas on a cheaper way? Also is there anywhere I can go to find a used SM suspension set up or do I have to buy brand new? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Hi, I am new in the Spec Miata community and trying to get my feet wet into SM racing. I have a 1990 which I have made some upgrades within the limitations of the rules. Currently I am having trouble finding a paint shop for my car. All the local guys want over $2000 for just the outside and roll cage that I will be installing shortly. Any ideas on a cheaper way? Also is there anywhere I can go to find a used SM suspension set up or do I have to buy brand new? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Paint is expensive. Live with it or try Maaco. Interior you can DIY.

I wouldn't bother with a used SM suspension setup. Shocks take a lot of abuse.

The Spec Miata Constructors Manual by Dave Wheeler from Advanced Automotive is a good guide.
http://www.advanced-...db9b853d742ae61
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
I Paint my own car, and over the years I have gotten pretty good at it. Saves a ton of money during repairs as well. I would say get a book, watch some how to videos and start learning.
  • Garrett Richardson likes this
Kevin Anderson
Kevin@techsportracing.com
www.techsportracing.com

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
30SpecRichRacing, in this thread are some decent build pics from the great new build that OPM did for me
might be some ideas for you
doing cage / interior / exterior in three different colors adds time and money and not for the faint hearted.
http://www.dannystey...iata-period.htm

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
30spec, $2K sounds like a big quote number. I've gotten a lot of cheaper quotes up here in NY.

What are you planning on doing with it? I told people I just wanted a single stage, one color job and prices were sub $1K.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Maaco can do an OK job if you do all the prep work yourself. Agree with Vick - single stage, one color, something common like OEM color - you WILL be repairing it.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Always paint a race car the color of duct tape. You will learn why.

I paint all my interiors with Rust-o-leum. My method is described in the book.

The problem with Maaco is that their cheap paint is not any specific color. It is basicly a combination of what ever they could get their hands on for that 55 gallon drum of paint. The next drum will be slightly off color or off metallic.

Maybe somebody who owns a body shop (PINK) can chime in. The cost of paint has gone through the roof. Just the materials to paint a late model car with 3 stage paint can be well over $1000. Red has always been the most expensive paint with yellow not far behind.

Dave
  • dstevens, Garrett Richardson and av8tor like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

The cost of paint has gone through the roof. Just the materials to paint a late model car with 3 stage paint can be well over $1000. Red has always been the most expensive paint with yellow not far behind.

Dave

You ain't kidding... My SM is the first car I ever had painted. I spent about $5-600 on cheapo Sherwin Williams automotive paint in the OEM color + supplies. Never knew paint could cost so much.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Always paint a race car the color of duct tape. You will learn why.

I paint all my interiors with Rust-o-leum. My method is described in the book.

Truer words have never been spoken.... ;) Dave's brush and spray method in his book is cool but I use US made automotive paint from TCP Global. Just got another pint of hardener yesterday. (feel free to insert joke)

From PPG or Sherwin Williams the paint alone will be $400-500 depending on the color. Mazda red is code SU, about $55 a point and now that it's low VOC you don't have to use a reducer. Actually, I could be talking out my ass because the change to low VOC coincided with the option of using a reducer.

It's easy to do, it's messy as all hell and Wheeler's method is the low buck way for a good job. I've said it before, I use these guys, single stage urethane. I'm going to leave more paint on your car and the wall. So I like cheap but better than Rustoleum. Though I do use Rustoleum on some things.

The red and black is Rustoleum engine paint and the white is Ermine White TCP Golbal.

Posted Image
almost plumbed by Dave Stevens, on Flickr

My Dad was a comercial painter until the paint took out what was left of his lungs. They were real men , they didn't need breathing apparatus back then. It just interfered with the Pall Mall reds.... Seriously, he's lucky it didn't kill him but in three weeks he becomes the first male to make it 70 in the history of that side of the family. Unless his 3rd wife kills him but I think he can out run her..... We were going to paint the Miata and the trailer during the big birthday celebration weekend but both out wives found out and there will be no painting, or other car work that weekend.. And I don't know that I can outrun my wife and she was a marksman in the Marines. So no car working that weekend.

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Maaco only charged me $350 for the whole outside and that was with primer. Looks awesome!
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Garrett Richardson

Garrett Richardson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

30spec, $2K sounds like a big quote number. I've gotten a lot of cheaper quotes up here in NY.

What are you planning on doing with it? I told people I just wanted a single stage, one color job and prices were sub $1K.

Thats what I thought also I know the prices of paint are soaring but not for 2k for a single layer. I am keeping the original color (white) and adding some green on the back end.

Garrett Richardson

Garrett Richardson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

30SpecRichRacing, in this thread are some decent build pics from the great new build that OPM did for me
might be some ideas for you
doing cage / interior / exterior in three different colors adds time and money and not for the faint hearted.
http://www.dannystey...iata-period.htm

Beautiful car... Truly an amazing build. On the interior of the dash panel the carbon fiber background that holds the switches and guages I imagain that was all custom but I am looking at doing somthing similar to that.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I bought the paint for my car from Summit racing: 1 gallon of base color, 1 qt of the accent color. A local racer painted it for me. I did all the body work, and prep sanding before I took it to him.

I still have about 1/2 of thepaint leftover. Total cost was just under $1000.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adam Figarsky

Adam Figarsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Region:Mo-Hud
  • Car Number:32
spray can for me....
anodized bronze for sides, semi flat for bumpers....original red for middle...beautiful in my eyes

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
If you're new, I'm not sure making the car look pretty is such a good idea. My car got smashed pretty solidly in race weekend #2.

I've found it's much more enjoyable to have a race car that's hideous and fast. For aesthetics I stare at the street car instead.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davidb

davidb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Rust-o-lium white and a fine roller, lots of decals. My paint job cost around $30. At 50 feet and 50MPH it looks as good as most.

Rustolium gray for the interior stuff.

• Keith Williamson likes this

dmq

dmq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:delta
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:504

graffiti artist $200 of paint and a 12 pack

https://www.youtube....h?v=Clw8kEaL3Pk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spec Miata, suspension, roll cage, help, paint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users