Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51
Could not decide if this question belonged here or in data acquisition. I understand the AIM MyChron3 Gold can be tripped by either an infared beam or magnetic strip. Anyone know if either PIR or Pacific Raceways supports using the magnetic way?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
News to me that there's a sensor to pick up the magnetic strip. I'm assuming that's the same one the transponder uses. Everyone I know uses the IR beacon. Pack some 9v batteries though. Frequently several people will complain we don't get times. That's when I put my own beacon out on high gain but it eats batteries.

From what I'm told at PR, the timing line is btw T8 and T9, not at the finish line.

Let me know if/when you're coming up to race. I'm about 25 mins from the track, but if you motivate me, I'll finish up my master bedroom so you can sleep in the guest room if you want.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Cool, I just might take you up on that offer.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I talked to a person at AIM very briefly and according to him the racetrack needs to provide an embedded magnetic strip. Maybe it's just a karting thing. What would be nice is if the AIM hardware could trip using the same mechanism that trips the AMB transponders. Then we'd all be tripping in unison. :rolleyes: :blink:

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Being an iconoclast I broke from tradition and ordered the EVO4 instead of the MyChron3 Gold. No display but that's OK, I'm happy using my old-school dial gauges. But I gain a 3-axis accelerometer and GPS mapping. No need for an infared or magnetic tripper, all done by GPS. One other down side is I have to keep my Longacre HotLaps to get last lap time but I'm willing to trade that inconvenience for the GPS data which I am now drooling over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users